Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Gafford’s extension won’t kick in right away. In fact, he will earn $1.78 million this season and $1.9 million the next year before it begins.

That helps some. I was not really sold on this as I read it. Hopefully it works. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

That helps some. I was not really sold on this as I read it. Hopefully it works. 

This ... is probably also a mistake. Less of a disaster than Bertans, but this was a "buy high" kind of contract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd lean that way too, but he might not even be here in two years for it to kick in lol

I guess they think he's going to be the building block to build around in a post-Beal era? Both Beal and KCP would be free agents in that offseason.

Only players who are under contract for 2023-24 are Spencer Dinwiddie ($18.8M, non guaranteed, final year of contract if exercised), David Bertans ($17M), Kyle Kuzma ($13M, player option, final year of contract if exercised), Deni Avdija ($6.3M, club option), Corey Kispert ($3.7M, club option), and Isaiah Todd ($1.8M). Rui Hachimura would be a RFA that season, so barring him completely collapsing, you have to figure there's another $7-8M in a qualifying offer there.

I'm not sure what you do with that collection of parts.

Wizards looked good tonight & won 98-83, especially since on defense. Beal did not shoot it well, but they still won thanks to Kuzma’s double double & Harrell’s 22 pts & 9 rebs

Beal: 23 pts (1-6 from 3), 3 rebs, 4 assts, 4 steals 

Dinwiddie: 13 pts, 4 rebs, 6 assts 

Kuzma: 11 pts (2-9 from 3) 15 rebs, 3 assts, 1 steal, 1 block

KCP: 5pts (1-5 from 3), 2 rebs, 1 asst, 1 steal

Gafford: 8 pts, 5 rebs, 2 steals, 4 blocks

Harrell: 22 pts, 9 rebs, 1 asst, 1 block

Neto: 8 pts, 3 rebs, 2 assts, 4 steals

Avdija: 8 pts (3-3, 1-1 from 3) 7 rebs, 1 asst, 2 steals, 2 blocks

I flipped between this and the college game. 

Seems like Gafford barely played down the stretch, but Harrell was killing it so that was good. 5 for 27 from three isn't going to cut it. 

Bertans played 13 minutes and was a disaster. Unbelievable how bad of a player and that contract is. 

I'm trying to think of the comparison, but this is one of those recent NBA teams with a lot of "okay" talent around that they'll be annoying for the superstar ones. 

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I flipped between this and the college game. 

Seems like Gafford barely played down the stretch, but Harrell was killing it so that was good. 5 for 27 from three isn't going to cut it. 

Bertans played 13 minutes and was a disaster. Unbelievable how bad of a player and that contract is. 

I'm trying to think of the comparison, but this is one of those recent NBA teams with a lot of "okay" talent around that they'll be annoying for the superstar ones. 

One thing I noticed with Bertans is that at least he was giving effort on the defensive end even if his shot wasn’t falling. Gooden pointed that out during the game, so it’s clear that Wes Jr has already had an impact on this team and it’s only game one.

I would I equate the Wizards to the Knicks. The Knicks might even have less talent than the Wizards bs we have Beal & Dinwiddie but, the Knicks play hard & play defense bc that’s what Tibs demands and if his players aren’t giving it, they won’t play. 

If Wes Jr can get that kind of effort on D out of this Wizards team, we have an outside shot of being a top 5 team in the East but, they also have to shoot better from 3 or take less bad 3 pointers. You can’t shoot 19% from 3 (5-27 as you said) and expect to win too many games.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I would I equate the Wizards to the Knicks. The Knicks might even have less talent than the Wizards bs we have Beal & Dinwiddie but, the Knicks play hard & play defense bc that’s what Tibs demands and if his players aren’t giving it, they won’t play. 

Wow. Beal is the best between both teams, but after that I would take probably Randle, Walker, Barrett, and Fournier before anyone on the Wizards. 

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If Wes Jr can get that kind of effort on D out of this Wizards team, we have an outside shot of being a top 5 team in the East but, they also have to shoot better from 3 or take less bad 3 pointers. You can’t shoot 19% from 3 (5-27 as you said) and expect to win too many games.

I'd go a step further and say if Wes Jr can get even a modicum of effort on defense he will already be more successful than Brooks. The thing about the three's... I agree they 100% have to shoot better. I don't think a lot of them were bad looks, they just didn't fall.