Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No it’s not because the salary cap will go up to pay for Wall’s salary as well as Gortat, Smith and Mahinmi coming off the books. And they will hopefully draft a center to replace Gortat and that young center like Robert Williams from Texas A&M will be an upgrade over Gortat in every area. 

So Oubre and Satoransky won't need new contracts?  Morris will need a new contract too. 

The trade Porter talk is funny. Wall goes 6 of 20 and turns the ball over 5 times, continuously driving the hoop out of control and looking for a call. Paul Pierce and Rose (?) pointed the finger at Wall following the game. Porter was 4 of 7. More shots would be nice... but Wall has to take em from someone.

14 for 37 from your "star" guards doesn't cut.

Morris shot well. Ibaka shot better... 8 of 11 for 23 pts. Another nice defensive performance by Kief...

50% 3pt shooting by the Raps. Someone remind me who the primary defenders are on the perimeter.

Edited by Skinsin2013

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

So Oubre and Satoransky won't need new contracts?  Morris will need a new contract too. 

They’re going to lose Oubre. I said they’d sign Morris. They’re also going to clear up $35 million in useless center salaries. 

3 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

The trade Porter talk is funny. Wall goes 6 of 20 and turns the ball over 5 times, continuously driving the hoop out of control and looking for a call. Paul Pierce and Rose (?) pointed the finger at Wall following the game. Porter was 4 of 7. More shots would be nice... but Wall has to take em from someone.

14 for 37 from your "star" guards doesn't cut.

Morris shot well. Ibaka shot better... 8 of 11 for 23 pts. Another nice defensive performance by Kief...

50% 3pt shooting by the Raps. Someone remind me who the primary defenders are on the perimeter.

Wall definitely missed some lay ups he should have made, he also didn’t get any calls. He got fouled on several plays but the refs were swallowing their whistles.

I’d like to know on those 7 shots that Porter took, how many were assisted by John Wall?

This is where you lose your argument. Porter rarely creates his own shot, same with Morris and Gortat. Almost all of their points come from assists from Wall.

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They’re going to lose Oubre. I said they’d sign Morris. They’re also going to clear up $35 million in useless center salaries. 

OK so they lose their best bench scorer.  Santoransky will likely leave too.  Morris is only costing them $8 mil, but lets be honest they need to upgrade him.  Unless they hit a homerun in the draft, that's going to be an expensive upgrade.  

Gortat has 1 year left on his deal, Mahinmi has 2.  Mahinmi will be just as untradeable as Gortat was with 2 years left on his deal.  

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

OK so they lose their best bench scorer.  Santoransky will likely leave too.  Morris is only costing them $8 mil, but lets be honest they need to upgrade him.  Unless they hit a homerun in the draft, that's going to be an expensive upgrade.  

Gortat has 1 year left on his deal, Mahinmi has 2.  Mahinmi will be just as untradeable as Gortat was with 2 years left on his deal.  

Mike Scott is theWizards most consistent scorer off the bench, they need to keep him. They should be able to re-sign Sato on a deal that won’t be too expensive. They can replace what Oubre gives them through the draft or with a cheaper free agent than what he’ll get paid as a young 20 something wing. 

Wall’s super max kicks in in the 2019 season. Gortat and Smith and their combined $20M will be off the books. The cap will also be $20 million more or higher than that by then. Mahinmi’s $16M will be off by 2020.

I hope they draft Robert Williams from Texas A&m, he’s the type of big they need.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:
10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

They actually won a lot of games without Wall.

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Then they lost a bunch.

Considering they were 24-26 before Wall got hurt, they didn't see much difference then.  

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No it’s not because the salary cap will go up to pay for Wall’s salary as well as Gortat, Smith and Mahinmi coming off the books. And they will hopefully draft a center to replace Gortat and that young center like Robert Williams from Texas A&M will be an upgrade over Gortat in every area. 

• 2018 Free Agents
    • Tim Frazier
    • Ty Lawson
    • Chris McCullough
    • Ramon Sessions (techncially, they'd have to renounce their rights to him)
  • 2019 Free Agents
    • Marcin Gortat
    • Jodie Meeks (has 2018 player option)
    • Markieff Morris
    • Kelly Oubre (can be kept with qualifying offer)
    • Tomas Satoransky (can be kept with qualifying offer)
    • Jason Smith (has 2018 player option)
  • 2020 Free Agents
    • Ian Mahinmi
  • 2021 Free Agents
    • Bradley Beal
    • Otto Porter Jr. (has 2020 player option)
  • 2023 Free Agents
    • John Wall

Yes, they can get rid of Gortat this offseason provided someone is willing to trade for his expiring contract. Even if not, he'll be gone the following year. At the same time, so will Morris and it's unlikely they will have the cap room to keep him. I have to believe both Jason Smith and Jodie Meeks will execute their player options ($5.45M and $3.45M, respectively) since I doubt they get that kind of money on the open market.

Here's the problem: in 2019, they only have four players on the roster (Beal, Mahinmi, Porter, and Wall) and two more they can keep with qualifying offers (Oubre and Satoransky). Those six players in 2019 would total ~ $123.2M in cap space (assuming I did the math right ... NBA's cap calculations are weird). They don't really have the space to keep Morris at that point; heck, they don't really have much space to keep anyone beyond vet min players or draft picks.

So, they desperately need to hit on all of their draft picks in 2018 and 2019 to have a fighting chance at assembling a functioning roster in 2020 and beyond. 

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Wall definitely missed some lay ups he should have made, he also didn’t get any calls. He got fouled on several plays but the refs were swallowing their whistles.

I’d like to know on those 7 shots that Porter took, how many were assisted by John Wall?

This is where you lose your argument. Porter rarely creates his own shot, same with Morris and Gortat. Almost all of their points come from assists from Wall.

I feel ya on creating his own shots. But he was scoring plenty when Wall was out. And Otto plays much better defense then Beal and Wall. Brooks' post-game assessment of defense, especially transition defense, was directed at Beal. He was livid when Beal bumped Myles in transition and then promptly kept going while Myles pulled up for an uncontested three.

12 minutes ago, Woz said:
  • 2018 Free Agents
    • Tim Frazier
    • Ty Lawson
    • Chris McCullough
    • Ramon Sessions (techncially, they'd have to renounce their rights to him)
  • 2019 Free Agents
    • Marcin Gortat
    • Jodie Meeks (has 2018 player option)
    • Markieff Morris
    • Kelly Oubre (can be kept with qualifying offer)
    • Tomas Satoransky (can be kept with qualifying offer)
    • Jason Smith (has 2018 player option)
  • 2020 Free Agents
    • Ian Mahinmi
  • 2021 Free Agents
    • Bradley Beal
    • Otto Porter Jr. (has 2020 player option)
  • 2023 Free Agents
    • John Wall

Yes, they can get rid of Gortat this offseason provided someone is willing to trade for his expiring contract. Even if not, he'll be gone the following year. At the same time, so will Morris and it's unlikely they will have the cap room to keep him. I have to believe both Jason Smith and Jodie Meeks will execute their player options ($5.45M and $3.45M, respectively) since I doubt they get that kind of money on the open market.

Here's the problem: in 2019, they only have four players on the roster (Beal, Mahinmi, Porter, and Wall) and two more they can keep with qualifying offers (Oubre and Satoransky). Those six players in 2019 would total ~ $123.2M in cap space (assuming I did the math right ... NBA's cap calculations are weird). They don't really have the space to keep Morris at that point; heck, they don't really have much space to keep anyone beyond vet min players or draft picks.

So, they desperately need to hit on all of their draft picks in 2018 and 2019 to have a fighting chance at assembling a functioning roster in 2020 and beyond. 

I've been saying this for 10 pages in this thread, no one will listen.