Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I feel like this reeks of desperation more than pursuing the best - not to knock what Ujiri has done obviously, but more Leonsis has (again) shown his hand too early and messed up.

If I’m Ujiri there’s zero chance I leave the Raptors for the dumpster fire that is the Wizards.  Even for ownership stame.

• Like 1

Armchair GM here... more than the Wiz have with a week heading into the draft.

Two-year rebuild:

Trade Beal for Ingram. I was gonna say the 4th this year and take Garland. But we'd be a dumpster fire next year. Not that we're that far off with this scenario. In either scenario, Wall knows he's a part of a rebuild and isn't happy. But especially if we drafted a PG with the 4th!

Draft Jaxson Hayes.

2019-20:

Hayes/Dwight/Bryant/Mahimni
Ingram/Jabari
TBJr
Danny Green/Dekker
Sato/Randle

Gotta re-up Sato, Bryant, Dekker, Randle. Let Portis Ariza, Green walk (maybe keep one of the three for vet presence - Ariza b/c we need the backcourt body). Then I sign 31 year old Danny Green (2 years at 12M and 14M) and give him the starting SG position... yup!

I have us at $126M. Believe or not, that's actually a halfway competitive team... defensive-oriented. Still it's a young team and not much depth in the backcourt.
------

2020-21 - John Wall is back, he's 30, and doesn't want any part of this cellar dwellar. We restructure his contract, per his request, to make his #s look manageable and trade him for a late round pick (to the Spurs).

Wiz nail the #2 pick and select Guard Anthony Edwards, Georgia. "Edwards is also in the mix to be No. 1 right now. He’s a powerfully-built guard who’s still tapping into his ability and will be a high-volume ball-handler at Georgia. He has the strength to overpower defenders off the dribble and the explosiveness to elevate in the paint or shoot over people, although his jumper is far from consistent." Also read a comp... bigger, badder Oladipo.

Hayes/Bryant
Ingram
TBJr
Anthony Edwards/Danny Green
Sato

Wall, Mahimni, Parker, Howard and Ingram slide off the books. But we re-upped Ingram at 14M, 16M, and 18M.

We'd then be at $60M (say $70M if I'm light on the contracts) with 8 players under contract:

Thomas Bryant $14,000,000 (2nd year of his deal)

Danny Green $14,000,000

Brandon Ingram $14,000,000

Tomas Satoransky $7,000,000

Troy Brown $3,372,840

Jaxson Hayes $3,372,840

Anthony Edwards $3,372,840

Chasson Randle $1,200,000

That puts us $46M under the salary cap and $71M under the luxury threshold. We're still young... but we're emerging baby! And now we have some $$$ to spend.

Lots of holes to poke in this one, I know.  xD

9 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

The Raps have zero lottery picks on their roster... heard that on the Junks this morning. 

Ted's gotta do what Ted's gotta go.

BTW... continuously not have a #2 pick is insane. You only have capture lightning in a bottle once.

I mean ok sure technically, the Raptors have zero lottery picks, but Kawhai was selected 15th, just one spot from the Lottery.

Also, on top of that the Raptors don’t deserve credit for developing 5 of their top 7 players.

Lowry, Green, Leonard, Gasol and Ibaka were all drafted by and developed by other teams. In fact, they didn’t even sign any of these players via free agency. They all were traded there.

You only trade Beal for a haul. I prefer not to trade him, if we keep him and doesn’t make all NBA next year he would be a no brainer design salary wise.

it would take Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, and #4 for me to trade Beal honestly. Then let wall comeback, restructure and trade him the following season. Basically clears the books for a whole new team

3 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

You only trade Beal for a haul. I prefer not to trade him, if we keep him and doesn’t make all NBA next year he would be a no brainer design salary wise.

it would take Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, and #4 for me to trade Beal honestly. Then let wall comeback, restructure and trade him the following season. Basically clears the books for a whole new team

I don't think the Lakers would trade Ingram in any deal for Beal.  I would accept #4, Kuzma, then let a 3rd team take Ball and get another pick in the deal.  

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't think the Lakers would trade Ingram in any deal for Beal.

Unless they’re looking to trade Lebron — which, to be fair, is actually what I would be looking to do if I was them — I can’t imagine that’s true. I’m sure they’d rather use Ingram to land a bigger fish than Beal, but if push came to shove and Beal for Ingram was on the table, they’d be foolish to turn that down. 

Maybe Ingram has the upside to be a superstar. He hasn’t shown it thus far in his career, but I understand that the skillset at his size gives a lot to dream on. He’s definitely younger and he definitely has a better contract status. And if your sole goal was to build a long-term winner, maybe those would be enough to outweigh the fact that Beal is the hugely superior player at this point. 

But that’s not the position the Lakers are in. They have the best player of the last two decades on their roster, and he’s a few months away from turning 35. They don’t have the luxury of standing pat and waiting to see what Ingram becomes when he’s 25 or 26, because by that point Lebron will be retired and running a sports/entertainment agency. He’ll be thinking of Ingram as a potential client, not a potential teammate. Well...for Bronny, maybe. 

They need to push their chips to the middle, and if Beal is the only top 20 player they can land for Ingram, they’d do it. He’s a good fit with Lebron and he can contribute at a high level immediately. Ingram can’t do that — he’s exactly the kind of young player who gets sucked into the Lebron Vortex and sees his talents marginalized and stunted by Lebron’s ball-dominating and oxygen-sucking totalitarianism. Lebron is a remarkable player, but he’s not good for young guys trying to blossom into something like him. He needs finished products with defined roles, and Beal is exactly that. 

For the record, I wouldn’t do that trade. I’m not sold on Ingram, to say the least. I think he’s more projection and ceiling than actual ability. He’s not a good shooter, he’s inconsistent as a creator, he’s not a rim protector, he doesn’t give you a lot on the boards, his effort on defense is subpar, and he’s so slender that even Kevin Durant calls him “slim.” He still has outrageous potential if things click for him, particularly the jump shot and perhaps getting into a system designed to feature his unique abilities — so I wouldn’t say “no” to the guy. Just not as the only return for a top-20 player in his prime. 

6 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

@Skinsin2013I don’t understand this thought that Wall is going to be able to be traded.

1. What incentive does Wall have to restructure his contract?

2. When he returns he’s very likely not going to have the same explosion. So, even if he did take a pay cut - which he won’t and neither would anyone else in this forum - who would want to trade younger prospects and/or a lottery pick for him?

Again, another pie in the sky thought that isn’t going to happen.