Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

So if the Wiz move ahead and extend Beal, they'll most likely have to do it without Parker or Portis. Mahimni comes off the books after this year too. 

So that means the Wiz have FOUR healthy players on the books heading into the year.

Beal
TBJ
Mahimi
Howard

Including Wall, that's $89M in salary. That gives them about$25M, say $30M to be safe, to fill out a roster… another 8 players or so.

For the next 4 seasons, Beal and Wall will account for approximately two-thirds of the Wizards salary cap.

This will go well.

Edited by Skinsin2013

With the news that Horford is going to walk, I wonder if Boston will be looking to use their glut of mid-1st rounders to move up and grab a plug and play frontcourt guy. They’re going to be awfully thin up front, even if they manage to pick up a veteran stopgap, and they won’t really be in a position to wait for a development project like Bol or Doumbouya to be ready. Someone like Hachimura or PJ Washington with a more advanced body/game might be very appealing to them. Or even a Jaxson Hayes who is at least athletically pretty much NBA-ready to defend and run the floor, even if he needs a ton of polish. 

Moving #9 for #14 and #22 might be the best possible outcome for the Wizards. They could get two cracks at this slot machine of a draft, and there are a number of players in that range that would interesting gambles/fits on the roster: the aforementioned Washington and Hachimura, maybe Doumbouya still if he slips, Brandon Clarke, Nassir Little, Romeo Langford, Keldon Johnson, Kevin Porter, Bol Bol, Goga Bitadze, Kabengele, Fernando, Claxton, etc. 

Probably unlikely that they’d make that deal — but I do think they’ll try to unload one of those 1st rounders, and maybe we’ll be the first team looking to move out of our pick. 

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Why haven't the Wiz bought into the second round? GS pays $1.3M, and a 2nd rounder (late I'm guessing), for the 41st.

WTF Ted?

Definitely hopeful that they do this. Might be easier to get a Western Conference team to bite on it, just because I assume that (all else equal), a team would prefer to sell a lottery ticket like a 2nd round pick to a team they’ll likely never have to compete directly against.

Clippers and Kings look like possibilities with two 2nds. New Orleans maybe — after all their wheeling and dealing is done in round 1, they may not have roster space for another rookie. And Philly is certainly not going to have room to use 4 picks, so they’re an obvious option as well.

• Like 1

Speaking of 2nd rounders. Anyone heard about ours last year? Sanon? I know he went and played overseas but any update on him. PG I believe. Anyways even if we buy into the 2nd it’s just gonna be someone they don’t bring to straight to the team again

Jalen Rose on Get Up today

Jalen Rose: "Don't cry for the Lakers. The Knicks are going to be okay. Washington is the team that I worry about."

"When you're going in to the Draft and you don't have a president, that mean you don't have a vision. Who's gonna pick the player? Who's gonna build around Bradley Beal? What's gonna happen with John Wall's injury? You need somebody making that decision."

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of the pick — but then again, I really disliked the Troy Brown pick last year and I ended up liking what I saw from him. 

It’s a very different pick, in that Hachimura is much more physically gifted, is a good deal older, and is an excellent natural scorer with limited feel and instincts. But in the end, as it always does nowadays, for both guys it’s going to come down to whether they end up with the ability to shoot the NBA three. Definitely some hope for that with Hachimura, given the progress he made outside the college arc last season. 

I don’t really care about it being a reach, either, though I do agree it’s higher than most had him pegged. But there was lots of talk about him going to the Wolves at #11, so I don’t think the Wiz were alone out on that limb with Hachimura rated in that range. After #6 or #7, this draft was a total crapshoot. I can’t imagine anyone could feel too certain about the rankings from #8 to perhaps #20 or so.  Every one of these guys has warts, which is why it’s been such an erratic (and really downright weird) late lottery and beyond. The big issue I have with Hachimura is that he’s a little older, but he did pick up the game much later than most elite prospects and has made huge strides through his college career. 

29 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That was a big reach 

Only thing I can think of is that the wizards are in a situation where they need a player to play now. Hachimura to me can immediately be a guy who can come off the bench to start till he gets his feet wet but the upside is limited with him, I think he will be a good pro but I don’t expect a high ceiling from him

I’m hoping we can buy back into the 2nd, we need some cheap bench or role players, who knows, a lot of guys there still, I like KZ okpala, Keldon Johnson, kevin porter, Carson Edwards, bone, maybe Bol Bol if he slips could be a low risk high reward pick if he falls into the 2nd, jontay porter and Bruno Fernando are interesting Center prospects as well.