Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

52 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

The Wizards are going to suck, but I'm actually a little confident they're realistic about where they are and may be able to start rebuilding.

Oh that are. Ted has done the blow it up and rebuild before. A few times. I know they're going to be one of the five worst teams in the league but I'm excited to watch the WizKids play!

18 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

This isn't a rebuild.

We’ll this season would equate to one. The aren’t going to be good, they’re going to get a top 5 pick and then have a young talented team around Wall/Beal for the 2020-21 season and we’ll see what happens.

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Where do we land on the Beal extension?

It makes it tougher to trade him cap wise because of the 15% escalated trade kicker that’s in the deal.  They’ve basically forced themselves into having to build around Beal and John Wall with one knee.  They’ll have no other money with these guys and will be too good to land a top 5 draft pick, so their ceiling is basically to hope to get back to what they were.  That is the 4 seed in the East with no realistic shot at ever winning the Nba title.

Edited by MKnight82

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

It makes it tougher to trade him cap wise because of the 15% escalated trade kicker that’s in the deal.  They’ve basically forced themselves into having to build around Beal and John Wall with one knee.  They’ll have no other money with these guys and will be too good to land a top 5 draft pick, so their ceiling is basically to hope to get back to what they were.  That is the 4 seed in the East with no realistic shot at ever winning the Nba title.

It’s a max deal, so the trade kicker doesn’t really mean much from what I understand. A trade kicker apparently can’t increase a player’s salary beyond his maximum in any given year, so I think it’s mostly a moot point unless he makes All-NBA and earns supermax status prior to the extension years. Basing that on this article I read a while back about the possibility of trading Wall. 

As far as the extension goes, I think they’re (all) trying to buy themselves an opportunity to see how things go in 2020 before they make a long-term decision on his future here. To see if Wall can come back and play like John Wall. To see if any of Rui, Bryant, Brown, Wagner, etc. can develop into building block pieces. To see if they’re able to land a potential star with the upcoming lottery pick. And not feel forced to make a decision on trading him before getting a chance to see how all that plays out. 

I think I’m good with it. Basically they bought themselves another year before reaching the decision point on a Beal trade. Which, given the very unusual situation with Wall returning from injury, makes some sense. Now they just need to send Beal on 6-month vacation around the world with all his new loot, so that they can get down to the business of losing as much as humanly possible this season. 

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

To see if Wall can come back and play like John Wall.

This is the problem.  They were a 4 seed with a healthy John Wall, and that was before John Wall blew his Achilles, and before the NBA shifted so heavily towards 3 point shooting.  John Wall is a terrible 3 point shooter. With Wall and Beal locked in on supermax contracts they will be so capped out the only way they can add talent will be through the draft.  They can't really tank with Beal and Wall, so they'll never have a high lottery pick.  They're perpetually stuck in mediocrity.