Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

‪Wiz-kids got the script right tonight! Play well and lose to a team that's a borderline playoff team! Good job guys!

Beal: 25 pts, 11 asts & 5 rebs.

Rui: 16 pts, 8 rebs.

Bryant: 10 pts, 7 rebs.

Bertans: 23 pts (5/5 from 3)

ISmith: 19 pts.

IThomas: 16 pts.

Wagner: 9 pts. ‬

Should the Wizards bench Bonga and start Rui at SF w/ Bertans starting PF. Then, split Bonga’s minutes between Schofield and Wagner? 

I think so.

Don’t know why you’d bench Bonga to give more playing time to a bunch of older guys. 

Kid’s not even 20 years old, and he’s holding his own in a grown man’s league. There are only 7 guys younger than him (RJ Barrett, Nassir Little, Darius Bazley, Kevin Porter, Coby White, Tyler Herro, Darius Garland) in the whole league, and they’re all rookies. Hachimura was finishing up his sophomore year at Gonzaga, averaging 11 and 4 in the WCC, when he was Bonga’s age. 

And he’s playing pretty decent ball. Better than Schofield so far, that’s for sure, and Schofield is 3 years older. He’s got 8 assists to only 1 turnover thus far, and he’s averaging 5 boards a game as well, despite only playing about half the game. 

It’s definitely going to be a crunch for playing time on the wing when Brown Jr. comes back. Which leaves me wondering how they’ll be able to justify giving 20% of the playing time to a couple 30-plus guys like Smith and IT every night. I get that they’re the only “Point Guards” on the roster, but they’ve got some guys in Beal, Brown, and Bonga who can handle the ball and distribute it to other guys. I’d much rather take playing time from those old heads than from a guy like Bonga. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Don’t know why you’d bench Bonga to give more playing time to a bunch of older guys. 

Kid’s not even 20 years old, and he’s holding his own in a grown man’s league. There are only 7 guys younger than him (RJ Barrett, Nassir Little, Darius Bazley, Kevin Porter, Coby White, Tyler Herro, Darius Garland) in the whole league, and they’re all rookies. Hachimura was finishing up his sophomore year at Gonzaga, averaging 11 and 4 in the WCC, when he was Bonga’s age. 

And he’s playing pretty decent ball. Better than Schofield so far, that’s for sure, and Schofield is 3 years older. He’s got 8 assists to only 1 turnover thus far, and he’s averaging 5 boards a game as well, despite only playing about half the game. 

It’s definitely going to be a crunch for playing time on the wing when Brown Jr. comes back. Which leaves me wondering how they’ll be able to justify giving 20% of the playing time to a couple 30-plus guys like Smith and IT every night. I get that they’re the only “Point Guards” on the roster, but they’ve got some guys in Beal, Brown, and Bonga who can handle the ball and distribute it to other guys. I’d much rather take playing time from those old heads than from a guy like Bonga. 

He doesn't score. I'd rather have a swing man who can offer more in the scoring department and who’s bigger and stronger than Bonga. If Bertans doesn’t start fine, but Schofield should at least get more minutes. 

Beal: 40 min, 46 pts, 7-12 from 3, 6 rebs & 8 asts. He eff’d around and almost got a triple double! He went toe to toe with harden!

Rui has been a great pick! 23 pts, 5 rebs

Bryant remains a good center: 13 pts, 12rebs and 5 asts. Gortat who?

Smith and Bonga.. yawn!

Bertans: 21 pts

IT: 17 pts

Brown: 14 pts in just 16 min, (5-7, 2-4 from 3)

Wagner, 12 pts, 5 rebs in just 13 min

Edited by turtle28

On 10/9/2019 at 1:52 PM, turtle28 said:

We’ll this season would equate to one. The aren’t going to be good, they’re going to get a top 5 pick and then have a young talented team around Wall/Beal for the 2020-21 season and we’ll see what happens.

You still feel this way? Worst case scenario is they end up just missing the playoffs and getting a crap pick. Should have traded Beal... still can. Love some Rui. Nice to see TBJ back too.

5 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

You still feel this way? Worst case scenario is they end up just missing the playoffs and getting a crap pick. Should have traded Beal... still can. Love some Rui. Nice to see TBJ back too.

What? How is missing the playoffs & getting a top 5 pick the worst-case scenario? They need a top 5 pick.

And nowadays, players come back from Achilles injuries all the time now and major major ligament tears. Wall will be back, and maybe he won't be a 20 to 23 point scorer next year but he’ll still be near 20 pts and average near or over 10 assists a game.

Wall comes back and is a double-double guy next year w/ Beal leading the team in scoring and being the #1 scoring option and then TBJ, Rui and Bryant in the frontcourt plus a top 5 pick and they'll be a playoff team in 2020-2021.

Edited by turtle28

Wizards lost to the Timberwolves as most of the players didn’t play well except for Beal, who dropped 30. The rest of the starters combined for 17 pts... uh, what?

The bench played better w/ IT, Wagner and Schofield.

IT: 16 pts, 7 asts, 4 rebs

Wagner: 14 pts, 5 rebs

Schofield: 15 pts in 14 min! 5/5 from the field 3/3 from 3. Yeah, I’ll continue to make the case that he should see more minutes than Bonga, bc he’s a better shooter than Bonga and more a SF than Bonga, Scofield outweighs Bonga by 60 pounds! That’s better for our D and rebounding!

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, Woz said:

@turtle28, granted, it's a small sample size right now (only five games), but the Wizards are third worst in the leagues in opponent's PPG. To their credit, they're sixth in terms of their own scoring, but the net difference is bad (-4.2, tied for 23rd).

Yeah, their D is awful.