Jump to content
turtle28

Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Who’s Tommy Smith?

Amongst other options:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Smith_(footballer,_born_1945)

Quote

Known for his uncompromising defensive style, manager Bill Shankly once said of him: "Tommy Smith wasn't born, he was quarried".

Just because he's British, played a completely different sport, and well, dead ... he could still do a better job at running the franchise than Grunfeld did. Given their defensive woes to date, perhaps bringing him back from the great beyond as a coach in place of Brooks wouldn't be a bad idea either.

 

(obviously meant Tommy Sheppard)

Edited by Woz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about the Wizards - and really all DC sports save the Caps w/ Ovechkin - is that I don’t really expect playoff runs w/ any of them. I was absolutely surprised the Nats did what they did last year. I think not keeping Rendon was a tremendous mistake by the Lerner’s and I don’t think we’ll see another World Series appearance from them anytime soon, but I’d love to be wrong.

So, I don’t know why I should care that the Wizards are or aren’t making big runs in the playoffs. I’ve said it a million times that I’m just glad they have been competitive this decade, far more competitive then any decade since the 70s.

As a fan of them, I can be happy about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The thing about the Wizards - and really all DC sports save the Caps w/ Ovechkin - is that I don’t really expect playoff runs w/ any of them. I was absolutely surprised the Nats did what they did last year. I think not keeping Rendon was a tremendous mistake by the Lerner’s and I don’t think we’ll see another World Series appearance from them anytime soon, but I’d love to be wrong.

So, I don’t know why I should care that the Wizards are or aren’t making big runs in the playoffs. I’ve said it a million times that I’m just glad they have been competitive this decade, far more competitive then any decade since the 70s.

As a fan of them, I can be happy about that.

The Nats will always have a chance to go to the playoffs and go far due to playoff pitching, but yes, what they will miss is the clutch bat of Rendon who manufactured runs at much needed times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

The Nats will always have a chance to go to the playoffs and go far due to playoff pitching, but yes, what they will miss is the clutch bat of Rendon who manufactured runs at much needed times. 

Yes, currently, but I'm just saying next 5-10 years when Scherzer & Straus are gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

 

I'm curious to see how he and Wall co-exist when Wall gets back. They say all the right things. But there's been some frustration with the dynamic before. Curious who the "it guy" will be. Two alphas... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I'm curious to see how he and Wall co-exist when Wall gets back. They say all the right things. But there's been some frustration with the dynamic before. Curious who the "it guy" will be. Two alphas... 

Also Wall isn’t very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Also Wall isn’t very good. 

Wall is good. But definitely not worth his contract. 

And neither he or Beal play defense. Both are two ball-dominant, offense-oriented guards. Tough to co-exist... tough to keep others on the team engaged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Also Wall isn’t very good. 

Yeah, that’s not true. Wall is pretty damn good when healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah, that’s not true. Wall is pretty damn good when healthy. 

No, he isn’t.  He’s a high volume, inefficient scorer that can’t shoot.  He’s pretty much the opposite of the modern PG you want.  He’s a lesser version of Russell Westbrook.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

No, he isn’t.  He’s a high volume, inefficient scorer that can’t shoot.  He’s pretty much the opposite of the modern PG you want.  He’s a lesser version of Russell Westbrook.  

Overrated assists/game stat in t-minus 3, 2.... 

Edited by Skinsin2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

No, he isn’t.  He’s a high volume, inefficient scorer that can’t shoot.  He’s pretty much the opposite of the modern PG you want.  He’s a lesser version of Russell Westbrook.  

Sheesh dude, come on. I don’t believe there’s anyone that watches the NBA with regularity that would agree with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I'm curious to see how he and Wall co-exist when Wall gets back. They say all the right things. But there's been some frustration with the dynamic before. Curious who the "it guy" will be. Two alphas... 

They were fine before Wall got hurt their feud was fabricated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Sheesh dude, come on. I don’t believe there’s anyone that watches the NBA with regularity that would agree with you. 

There’s some people that shouldn’t comment on basketball bc they don’t know good basketball when they see it.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

They were fine before Wall got hurt their feud was fabricated.

Source?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×