Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

5 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

The Wizards will get swept

I agree. I haven’t watched but one game this year due to my general dislike of Ernie. I’ve followed mostly on ESPN and RealGM to keep track with what they’re doing and they seem to have completely tuned out Scott Brooks. That’s unfortunate because he’s a good coach.

You trade Wall because of his age, injury history, and his contract doubling the year after next. On age, Beal and Porter are three years younger... and Wall relies on explosiveness.

Porter leads the team in so many advanced statistics it's not even funny. His basketball IQ is easily the highest on the team. He gives an honest effort every night and guards multiple positions. He's the best two-way player the Wiz have... not even close. Call him a glue guy... but that's because inferior shooters in Wall and Beal have to "get their shots." On top of that, one of those three continues to improve their stats every year... Porter.

Wall still plays an immature game... he takes possessions off and doesn't  value the ball the way a true court leader does. See  the end of the third quarter where the Wiz were up double-digits, he showboated dribbling and turned the ball over and then had Korver dive in for a steal because he was being complacent near half court. This immaturity drives me nuts. We all know what happened in the fourth quarter of that game. But some of that started with Wall. His percentages have started to drop off. That said, the biggest issue is he's on his third knee surgery. Three surgeries for a guy that (again) relies on explosiveness.

Beal's game is incredibly inconsistent. He's an iso guy which ticks off his teammates, not a good defender, and doesn't get back well on defense. He's incredibly streaky... wants to play point with John out but turns the ball over way too much. Check out his clutch stats (shooting under 4 minutes) when you get a chance... BRUTAL. Positives for Beal are when he's hot, he's really really good. He's a good three point shooter... and he can create his own shot.

Another consideration is the constant rumblings that Beal and Wall don't get along.

So you trade Wall while you can... roll with Beal and Porter... Sato can play guard for a while. But you find yourself and a PG (a distributor... not a guy that needs a ton of shots)... and a center... via trade and/or in the draft. BTW... they should have traded Oubre before the trade deadline. Energy only gets a player but so far in this league. He's another guy that is immature and has a really low basketball IQ. On top of that, he couldn't hit the ocean from the beach the last month and a half... yet he continued to jack up shots, some of which were poor shot selections.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I agree. I haven’t watched but one game this year due to my general dislike of Ernie. I’ve followed mostly on ESPN and RealGM to keep track with what they’re doing and they seem to have completely tuned out Scott Brooks. That’s unfortunate because he’s a good coach.

I always like Brooks when i hear him talk, but I just get the feeling there's too many egos in the room for the Wizards. Really a damn shame, because this is a talented team, but the chemistry factor and lack of effort is just never gonna let it work out

• Like 2

Again, Ted would have to sign off on Wall being traded, he’s not going to do that. Wall is his Ted’s cash cow, he’s the person who brought the team back after Arenas shot the team up in 08. 

I don’t see him ever not being here as long as he’s still a good player and he is still the team’s best player despite how well Beal played this year.

If they’re going to move a player, I’d bet my money that it would be every player on the roster before Wall.

I definitely agree with @Skinsin2013 about everything he said in regards to Porter and Beal and how Wall plays. Beal should be the Wizards closer and be the clutch guy in the final 5 minutes of games, but usually they have to rely on Wall to make plays because Beal is so inconsistent eventhough he has a good shot. He misses so many open shots he should make and it’s frustrating. 

Edited by turtle28

39 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Saturday at 5 is prime boozing hours for game 1 though and the wife has already promised me a night out to watch. If anyone wants to hand in Clarendon, I'm probably gonna watch the game at Whitlow's

I would but I’m in Richmond.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Paying a guy who's at best in the 10-15 range best player in the NBA $40 mil per year is really dumb.  

Not really. That’s how the NBA works now. You aren’t going to find a PG as good as Wall and be able to replace him for less. He’d be a max contract player no matter who he played for. He’s that good. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Not really. That’s how the NBA works now. You aren’t going to find a PG as good as Wall and be able to replace him for less. He’d be a max contract player no matter who he played for. He’s that good. 

Ok then the Wizards will forever be the 4-8 seed in the East and will never make the Finals.  

2020 Cap Hit Rankings

PLAYER
CAP HIT
1 Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry

POINT GUARD
$43,006,362
2 Russell Westbrook

Russell Westbrook

POINT GUARD
$41,006,000
3 John Wall

John Wall

POINT GUARD
$40,824,000
  James Harden

James Harden

SHOOTING GUARD
$40,824,000
5 Blake Griffin

Blake Griffin

POWER FORWARD
$36,810,996
6 Mike Conley

Mike Conley

POINT GUARD
$34,502,130
7 Gordon Hayward

Gordon Hayward

SHOOTING GUARD
$34,187,085
8 Damian Lillard

Damian Lillard

POINT GUARD
$31,626,953
9 C.J. McCollum

C.J. McCollum

SHOOTING GUARD
$29,354,152
10 Andrew Wiggins

Andrew Wiggins

SHOOTING GUARD
$29,290,000

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

4-3 IMO Raptors. Raptors area a great home team. I think they take care of their home court and the wizards take care of theirs. 

The Wizards back court is better than the Raptors. The Wizards need their front court to play as well as the Raptors or near as well as theirs, Porter and Morris especially. If Porter and Morris average in the mid to high teens, the Wizards can win the series. 

Another issue is all in the depth and the bench match ups. The Raptors have the best bench in the nba, if the wizards win this series is going to be because of Sato, Oubre, Mike Scott and Mahinmi at least playing near equal to the Raptors bench. If that happens, the wizards can win, if not the Raptors will win the series.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ok then the Wizards will forever be the 4-8 seed in the East and will never make the Finals.  

Lebron will be retired within the next 5 years and may even leave the Cavs to go play in La or somewhere in the West. When that happens, the Eastern Conference will be wide open as everyone else is about even.

The Wizards have a young team except for Gortat. Their core should be together and improve as a unit over the next 4 or 5 years and continuously be a top 4 seed which means home court.