Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

7 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Nope. Right in front of the local cameras.

This isn't the DOJ...

Ah well, maybe it makes Ernie grow a pair and finally trade Gortat - which I’ve been calling for for two years - and draft a big at 15 like Robert Williams who can start day 1, hit an open J and play great defense.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Ernie losing out on Durant was not his fault, Durant didn’t want to be here.

How many posts did I send trying to explain this to you and the other Wizards fans?

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

That being said, I didn’t agree with the players he sighed afterwards although I had hope that Nicholson would develop more. I was shocked he didn’t, but I guess he’s just not athletic enough to be anything more than a back of the roster guy. I had no clue, but Ernie and the Wizards Pro scouts should’ve know that.

Again, random schmucks of the street like myself could see these were horrid mistakes.

Yet Ernie stays ...

On 5/4/2018 at 1:03 AM, Woz said:

How many posts did I send trying to explain this to you and the other Wizards fans?

Again, random schmucks of the street like myself could see these were horrid mistakes.

Yet Ernie stays ...

I know what you said, but they still had to try to get Durant. In the end Durant went ring chasing - which doesn’t help his legacy - but I can’t fault him for doing that, everyone wants to win.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I know what you said, but they still had to try to get Durant. In the end Durant went ring chasing - which doesn’t help his legacy - but I can’t fault him for doing that, everyone want to win.

No, they didn't.

When it was readily apparent a year before that he wasn't coming to DC, they should have come up with alternative strategies. For instance, instead of making Al Horford feel like the second option, make him your #1 priority.

I was thinking the other night while watching the Celtics play that if the Wizards had landed Al Horford a couple years ago, that would have made them a legitimate Finals contender. 

Still couldn’t have touched the Warriors, but Horford’s brilliant all-around game is exactly what they’ve been missing. 

9 hours ago, Woz said:

No, they didn't.

When it was readily apparent a year before that he wasn't coming to DC, they should have come up with alternative strategies. For instance, instead of making Al Horford feel like the second option, make him your #1 priority.

For the fan base, yes they did have to try all they could in the beginning to get Durant. Now, once he decides he wouldn’t take a meeting they should have went harder after Horford than they did. By the time Horford was an option for them, Durant was already off the table. 

It is true though that could have went harder after Horsford, I don’t disagree with that.

36 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I was thinking the other night while watching the Celtics play that if the Wizards had landed Al Horford a couple years ago, that would have made them a legitimate Finals contender. 

Still couldn’t have touched the Warriors, but Horford’s brilliant all-around game is exactly what they’ve been missing. 

Same here buddy. Replace Gortat with Horford and the Wizards offense is better in every way and their defense. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The worst thing Ernie has ever done in his tenure is not accept the Harden trade. This would be a finals contending team with Wall and Harden. Absolutely unbelievable. 

Boom! I think this every day of my life! It wakes me up at night. ? 

I remember calling my friend who is an okc fan when I heard it was a possibility and she was pissed. I was so excited and then so disappointed when it didn’t happen.

Okc would’ve been better off too Westbrook/Beal would’ve been far better than the trash they got back when they traded him to the Rockets.

Edited by turtle28

Couldn’t play Wall and Harden together. There’s only one basketball and neither of them shoots it well enough to play off the ball while the other dominates it. Take the ball out of either of their hands and you’re taking away what makes them special.

They’re extremely similar players when you get down it. They both need to be surrounded by knock down shooters for whom they can use their unique ability to collapse defense and create shots. That’s why it works with them playing alongside Beal/Porter and Paul/Gordon (and the rest of their hundred shooters).

The lesson to take from thinking about James Harden is that we should be continuing to try to build a similar team around Wall. It doesn’t take a genius (ahem, Ernie) to steal the blueprint someone else came up with. Surround him with shooters and rim-runners. We’ve done a decent job of securing two great shooters (although at tremendous cost), but we really need at least two more — probably a more reliable stretch 4 and then a wing off the bench. And Capela’s value to Harden can’t be overstated, we desperately need someone like him (or even like Gortat in his prime) who is a weapon and a devastating finisher on the roll and dive stuff.

37 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Couldn’t play Wall and Harden together. There’s only one basketball and neither of them shoots it well enough to play off the ball while the other dominates it. Take the ball out of either of their hands and you’re taking away what makes them special.

They’re extremely similar players when you get down it. They both need to be surrounded by knock down shooters for whom they can use their unique ability to collapse defense and create shots. That’s why it works with them playing alongside Beal/Porter and Paul/Gordon (and the rest of their hundred shooters).

The lesson to take from thinking about James Harden is that we should be continuing to try to build a similar team around Wall. It doesn’t take a genius (ahem, Ernie) to steal the blueprint someone else came up with. Surround him with shooters and rim-runners. We’ve done a decent job of securing two great shooters (although at tremendous cost), but we really need at least two more — probably a more reliable stretch 4 and then a wing off the bench. And Capela’s value to Harden can’t be overstated, we desperately need someone like him (or even like Gortat in his prime) who is a weapon and a devastating finisher on the roll and dive stuff.

Bottom line, Beal and Morris need to be more efficient and Porter needs to shoot more. They also need to play more consistent perimeter defense - and that’s every last one of them from Wall to their 8th-10th guy - the Wizards aren’t going to get past the 2nd round until these things happen. 

The only huge change I could see happening that could possibly make the team better is by trading Beal or Porter, Oubre and Gortat for Kawhai Leonard and some young pieces from the Spurs but I seriously doubt Leonard is going to agree to come to the East coast. I fully believe he wants to go to one of the LA teams or another team out west like maybe Phoenix to team up with Booker bc it’s close to LA.

@marshawn lynch feel free to join the discussion about the Wizards in the Redskins forum. It’s been a heater.

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Bottom line, Beal and Morris need to be more efficient and Porter needs to shoot more. They also need to play more consistent perimeter defense - and that’s every last one of them from Wall to their 8th-10th guy - the Wizards aren’t going to get past the 2nd round until these things happen. 

The only huge change I could see happening that could possibly make the team better is by trading Beal or Porter, Oubre and Gortat for Kawhai Leonard and some young pieces from the Spurs but I seriously doubt Leonard is going to agree to come to the East coast. I fully believe he wants to go to one of the LA teams or another team out west like maybe Phoenix to team up with Booker bc it’s close to LA.

@marshawn lynch feel free to join the discussion about the Wizards in the Redskins forum. It’s been a heater.

Well, we have one year for all of that to happen. You know, everyone else plays optimally while John jacks up shots and looks for primary assists.

After next year, that John Wall contract............. it's all over.

6 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Well, we have one year for all of that to happen. You know, everyone else plays optimally while John jacks up shots and looks for primary assists.

After next year, that John Wall contract............. it's all over.

Yeah. Sure, that happens every game... except the ones I watch which happens to be everyone of them.