Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

3 things, 1)I’d love this. 2)I remember some other Wizards fans telling me we needed to get and pay Parsons the max 3 years ago ? 3) I also think the Wiz would have to include #15

Parsons' contract is over after the 2019-2020 season (i.e. two years away). His cap hits for those two years are $24.1M and $25.1M. In comparison, they'd be giving up Porter's $26.0M and $27.2M, so they'd git a smidge of relief ($1.9M and 2.1M, respectively).

However, they'd gain two problems:

1. Paying essentially the amount they'd being paying for Porter's next two years but getting a guy who "sucks" in exchange for him. You don't really want to be paying $24-25M for a backup.
  2. Parsons and Oubre would both become UFAs after the 2019-2020 season (this assumes that they pick up Oubre's RFA tender, which I think would be a near given in this scenario, but, you know, it's the Wizards). Once June 2020 comes, they'd have zero small forwards on the roster to go along with their complete lack of a depth chart at power forward and center.

Now, it could be worth that pain to get Bamba. Just keep in mind that they still would have negligible depth and few ways to get fix it. I suppose you could deal Gortat and his expiring contract for a backup PG/SG to play opposite Satoransky.

*admittedly uber-cheap shot coming*

Hey, J.R. Smith's cap number is $14.7M! 

*back to somewhat seriousness*

Gortat for Brandon Knight? Not sure the Suns want Gortat back when they have Chandler and Len.
Gortat for Eric Gordon? Rockets seem to have a plethora of meh backups behind Capela, but they're all a fraction of the price for Gortat.
Gortat for Jeremy Lin? If not for Lin's 10% trade kicker, I think that could actually work.
Gortat for Patty Mills? Do the Wizards want to pay Mills for his age 29, 30, and 31 seasons as a backup?
Gortat for Dion Waiters? Could probably get it done, but Waiters is injured right now with "unclear when he'll return" status. How much is getting rid of Gortat worth to the Wizards?

Gortat for Jordan Clarkson? He's expensive for a backup ($12.5M and $13.5M for the next two years), but maybe?
Gortat for Iman Shumpert? Would need to send something over to make up the $2.5M difference (some sort of exemption thingy, I'll leave @e16bball to explain; the NBA cap hurts my brain), but that might not be the worst move.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Parsons' contract is over after the 2019-2020 season (i.e. two years away). His cap hits for those two years are $24.1M and $25.1M. In comparison, they'd be giving up Porter's $26.0M and $27.2M, so they'd git a smidge of relief ($1.9M and 2.1M, respectively).

However, they'd gain two problems:

1. Paying essentially the amount they'd being paying for Porter's next two years but getting a guy who "sucks" in exchange for him. You don't really want to be paying $24-25M for a backup.
  2. Parsons and Oubre would both become UFAs after the 2019-2020 season (this assumes that they pick up Oubre's RFA tender, which I think would be a near given in this scenario, but, you know, it's the Wizards). Once June 2020 comes, they'd have zero small forwards on the roster to go along with their complete lack of a depth chart at power forward and center.

Now, it could be worth that pain to get Bamba. Just keep in mind that they still would have negligible depth and few ways to get fix it. I suppose you could deal Gortat and his expiring contract for a backup PG/SG to play opposite Satoransky.

*admittedly uber-cheap shot coming*

Hey, J.R. Smith's cap number is $14.7M! 

*back to somewhat seriousness*

Gortat for Brandon Knight? Not sure the Suns want Gortat back when they have Chandler and Len.
Gortat for Eric Gordon? Rockets seem to have a plethora of meh backups behind Capela, but they're all a fraction of the price for Gortat.
Gortat for Jeremy Lin? If not for Lin's 10% trade kicker, I think that could actually work.
Gortat for Patty Mills? Do the Wizards want to pay Mills for his age 29, 30, and 31 seasons as a backup?
Gortat for Dion Waiters? Could probably get it done, but Waiters is injured right now with "unclear when he'll return" status. How much is getting rid of Gortat worth to the Wizards?

Gortat for Jordan Clarkson? He's expensive for a backup ($12.5M and $13.5M for the next two years), but maybe?
Gortat for Iman Shumpert? Would need to send something over to make up the $2.5M difference (some sort of exemption thingy, I'll leave @e16bball to explain; the NBA cap hurts my brain), but that might not be the worst move.

IMO Parsons is a good piece (if healthy). The problem he’s had the last few years is he hasn’t been healthy. So, having him and hopefully Scott as your back up forwards isn’t bad. Parsons is a good shooter. Offensively he and Porter are about equal. Defensively, Porter is better but Parsons’s is 2 inches taller.

The prize though is definitely Bamba. That’s why you make this trade.

Id take anything back for Gortat. Any reserve wing or G.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

IMO Parsons is a good piece (if healthy). The problem he’s had the last few years is he hasn’t been healthy. So, having him and hopefully Scott as your back up forwards isn’t bad. Parsons is a good shooter.

Just an incredibly expensive backup, and it sounds like they might not get that much out for that cost either.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Just an incredibly expensive backup, and it sounds like they might not get that much out for that cost either.

Sure he is expensive. He got paid max deal money I think the year Beal did. I remembered arguing with crazy wizards fans who wanted to sign Parsons and I just couldn’t justify it. Some even liked him over Beal because up until that point Beal had been battling his stress fractures while Parsons had been more healthy. Many definitely wanted him to be our starting SF instead of Porter.

I think with Parsons you’re getting a guy who can score 10 to 13 pts as a back up (he may even start over Oubre if healthy) and if he did have to start a few more pts a game. I think Wall would be happy Parsons. He’s an offensive minded guy, more than Porter (who’s more an all around guy). I guess I’d equate Parsons to a taller version of Korver.

Edited by turtle28

Cy Fenwick: Why LeBron James should sign with the Wizards - The Team 980 - Redskins Radio

https://www.theteam980.com/2018/06/cy-fenwick-why-lebron-james-should-sign-with-the-wizards/#.WyRUQUzolO4.twitter

Not likely to happen, but an interesting take; especially the point about how it’d be good for his 13-year old son Bronnie to get into the very good DC AAU league.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Kawhai Leonard for Ian Mahinmi works in ESPN’s trade machine

Fantasy trade machine is fantasy.

Keep in mind the Spurs are a well run organization. The Wizards are not. Well run organizations don't trade All Stars for incredibly overpaid bench players.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Cy Fenwick: Why LeBron James should sign with the Wizards - The Team 980 - Redskins Radio

https://www.theteam980.com/2018/06/cy-fenwick-why-lebron-james-should-sign-with-the-wizards/#.WyRUQUzolO4.twitter

Not likely to happen, but an interesting take; especially the point about how it’d be good for his 13-year old son Bronnie to get into the very good DC AAU league.

No, it's "not likely to happen."

It's "only in a bizarro alternate universe would any reasonable person think that it would be worth uttering, much less recording themselves saying it."

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

No, it's "not likely to happen."

It's "only in a bizarro alternate universe would any reasonable person think that it would be worth uttering, much less recording themselves saying it."

The only reason it could is for his son because the AAU leagues are so great in the area and because if you did put Lebron on a team with Wall & Beal they would be a contender and might be the best team he’s played on since the Miami team.

That being said, it isn’t going to happen because I don’t think he’d ever consider DC for himself. I honestly think he wants to go to the Lakers and so does Kawhai Leonard.

A front line of Leonard, Lebron & Lopez @ C would be pretty awesome. Then they’d have Pope or Ingram at SG (whoever isn’t traded) and the pass first - arguably pass only - PG in Lonzo Ball.

26 minutes ago, Woz said:

Now, this, perhaps could happen:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/underestimated23835835/2018-nba-draft-trades-best-deals-see

(description why for both teams in the link)

I saw it and it’s awful. Beal should only be moved for a star PF/C who’s his age or another teams super star. Bottom line is that neither Beal or Porter have hit their ceiling yet. They’ll both improve, especially Beal. I’d only trade Beal 

I’d ship Porter away in this deal though, they can then play JR Smith at SF. IMo, while Porter will improve his scoring over the next few years, I don’t ever expect him to score 20 to 25 ppg like Wall and Beal do.

Edited by turtle28

36 minutes ago, Woz said:

Well that ain't happening.

I meant, move Beal in a package for another teams super star or star big. Beal is a highly coveted player. A 25 year old All-Star SG who’s upside is near a 30 ppg player is wanted by a lot of teams which is why I don’t see him being traded by the Wizards. 

If this is the best the team could do then I’d rather see the current starting 1-4 return w/ Gortat being traded for a late first or 2nd round pick or another teams bench player.

Then, with that cap room, they can re-sign Scott to either be our starting PF w/Kieff @ C; have the player we get in the Gortat trade start - if he’s a PF/C type - or start our #15 pick (hopefully a C).

Kevin Love is going to be 30 in September. You shouldn’t trade a 25 year old All-Star SG - who hasn’t hit his ceiling yet - for a 30 year old often injured PF/C who benefits from getting constant open looks because he plays with Lebron James.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

I meant, move Beal in a package for another teams super star or star big.

I knew what you meant. I'm telling you: that ain't happening.

NBA teams are not going to give up a super star or a star big for a shooting guard as both are significantly harder to come by than a one time All-Star SG.