Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

17 minutes ago, Woz said:

I knew what you meant. I'm telling you: that ain't happening.

NBA teams are not going to give up a super star or a star big for a shooting guard as both are significantly harder to come by than a one time All-Star SG.

They would if they don’t think their superstar player or star big isn’t going to re-sign with them.

I also don’t think Ted wants to be in the business of making the Cavs better for the long term or seeing his 2nd most beloved player play in a Cavs uniform and win championships with Lebron.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

They would if they don’t think their superstar player or star big isn’t going to re-sign with them.

I also don’t think Ted wants to be in the business of making the Cavs better for the long term or seeing his 2nd most beloved player play in a Cavs uniform and win championships with Lebron.

Obviously the trade is predicated on keeping LeBron in Cleveland. If that doesn't happen, the trade most likely doesn't happen. If that does happen, it doesn't really matter what the Wizards do as they'll lose to Cleveland.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Obviously the trade is predicated on keeping LeBron in Cleveland. If that doesn't happen, the trade most likely doesn't happen. If that does happen, it doesn't really matter what the Wizards do as they'll lose to Cleveland.

Yes, just like everyone else. That’s why it’s most likely Wall & Beal remain and well wait until Lebron retires to see if we can get to the finals with Wall/Beal/Porter and bigs who likely aren’t on this team right now.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Yes, just like everyone else. That’s why it’s most likely Wall & Beal remain and well wait until Lebron retires to see if we can get to the finals with Wall/Beal/Porter and bigs who likely aren’t on this team right now.

They're not getting to the Finals with the current roster.

Beal <-> Love [salary comparable]
Smith <-> Gortat [salary comparable]

That's the kind of thing they'd need to do in order to move Gortat.

So the questions become:

1. How much of a downgrade is Smith from Beal?
  2. How much of an upgrade is a healthy Love over Gortat/Mahinmi?
  3. How much are you willing to gamble that Mahinmi is going to have to be the main starting center due to Love not being healthy?
  4. Are these moves worth moving up seven spots in order to get an actual big man long term?

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

They're not getting to the Finals with the current roster.

Beal <-> Love [salary comparable]
Smith <-> Gortat [salary comparable]

That's the kind of thing they'd need to do in order to move Gortat.

So the questions become:

1. How much of a downgrade is Smith from Beal?
  2. How much of an upgrade is a healthy Love over Gortat/Mahinmi?
  3. How much are you willing to gamble that Mahinmi is going to have to be the main starting center due to Love not being healthy?
  4. Are these moves worth moving up seven spots in order to get an actual big man long term?

You’re missing the point entirely. The greatest issue is age of Smith (33 in Sept) and Love (30 in sept) and the fact that Beal is not hit his ceiling yet. 

Trading arguably the teams best player (at worst second best player) for a knucklehead like JR Smith who will be 33 and equates to Nick Young and a 30-year old often injured PF who isn't getting any better is a raw deal.

Youre also skipping over the point that I’d trade Gortat for something else (preferably a reserve big who may even start for us), or even a 2nd round pick and I’d draft a Pf/C prospect at 15. 

Trading Gortat gives the Wizards room to re-sign Scott and/or another piece. Trading for JR “Bozo” Smith and Kevin “bad neck, back and knees” Love does not.

Beal > Love, Smith & the hopes and prayers that the C you draft at 8 even turns into a Starter.

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, Woz said:

Unless I'm mistaken, it won't. You need to trade salary equivalent players.

I don’t believe that’s true if you’re trading for draft picks but I could be wrong and I’d hope it would be for someone more mature than Jr Smith. Again, Nick Young 1.0.

Anyways, Beal is a deal breaker for me - and I’m guessing for the Wizards FO too - if it’s for older and lesser players. Beal is a player you build around, not cast off for guys in their 30s.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Big night for the Wizards coming up. Draft Lonnie Walker IV and become an NBA Championship contender, or don't and keep being a dumpster fire.

He’d look good coming off the bench as long as he cuts that birds nest on top of his head.

Edited by turtle28

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t believe that’s true if you’re trading for draft picks but I could be wrong and I’d hope it would be for someone more mature than Jr Smith. Again, Nick Young 1.0.

Anyways, Beal is a deal breaker for me - and I’m guessing for the Wizards FO too - if it’s for older and lesser players. Beal is a player you build around, not cast off for guys in their 30s.

The Wizards are over the cap, meaning they can only trade for players close in salary to the ones they send out.  NBA trade rules allow for a 25% variance in trades, so the most cap savings the Wizards could gain would only be a 25% reduction in salary.  

• Like 1