Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

That’s foolish.  They will be crippled next year when Walls contract spikes.  

No they won’t. The cap is going up significantly. Rivers comes off the books and so does Morris, Green and Howard. They won’t have a ton of space but they aren’t going to be in cap hell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

No they won’t. The cap is going up significantly. Rivers comes off the books and so does Morris, Green and Howard. They won’t have a ton of space but they aren’t going to be in cap hell. 

I mean...they’re kind of in cap hell. But we’ve known that was coming since last summer, and dumping a year of Markieff Morris really isn’t going to affect it that much. 

The NBA is a little weird in this aspect, very different than the NFL for example. The amount that you’re above the salary really has almost no impact on your ability to sign or retain players — if you’re over the cap, you can only use exceptions to add salary, and those exceptions only shrink in certain relatively minor ways if you’re $30M over instead of $8M over. 

But what I assume MKnight is referring to are the restrictions that affect your willingness to add salary: the luxury tax and the repeater penalty that make it very, very expensive to be consistently way over the cap.

They’re almost guaranteed to be over the luxury tax line next season, at least as long as they make an even half-hearted effort to field a competitive team. And they were over it last season. So if they’re also over that number this season, they’ll be in line to get crushed with the repeater penalty in 2020-21– which is really only a cost you can afford to pay if you’re legitimately competing for the championship. 

So from a financial standpoint, it would be huge to get under that luxury tax line ($123.7M) this season. That would push the repeater penalty back to 2021-22 (if at all). But we’ve got to shed substantially more than Markieff Morris’s salary to get there. By my rough math, we’d have to dump at least Morris and Jason Smith (and fill their spots with minimum players) in order to get under that number.

And I’m just not sure that makes sense — given our roster and contract statuses, and the fall of the King, I’m not sure we’re going to have a better chance to make a push for the top of the East than this season. So I don’t really think we should be looking to weaken this year’s roster, even it costs us down the road.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I mean...they’re kind of in cap hell. But we’ve known that was coming since last summer, and dumping a year of Markieff Morris really isn’t going to affect it that much. 

The NBA is a little weird in this aspect, very different than the NFL for example. The amount that you’re above the salary really has almost no impact on your ability to sign or retain players — if you’re over the cap, you can only use exceptions to add salary, and those exceptions only shrink in certain relatively minor ways if you’re $30M over instead of $8M over. 

But what I assume MKnight is referring to are the restrictions that affect your willingness to add salary: the luxury tax and the repeater penalty that make it very, very expensive to be consistently way over the cap.

They’re almost guaranteed to be over the luxury tax line next season, at least as long as they make an even half-hearted effort to field a competitive team. And they were over it last season. So if they’re also over that number this season, they’ll be in line to get crushed with the repeater penalty in 2020-21– which is really only a cost you can afford to pay if you’re legitimately competing for the championship. 

So from a financial standpoint, it would be huge to get under that luxury tax line ($123.7M) this season. That would push the repeater penalty back to 2021-22 (if at all). But we’ve got to shed substantially more than Markieff Morris’s salary to get there. By my rough math, we’d have to dump at least Morris and Jason Smith (and fill their spots with minimum players) in order to get under that number.

And I’m just not sure that makes sense — given our roster and contract statuses, and the fall of the King, I’m not sure we’re going to have a better chance to make a push for the top of the East than this season. So I don’t really think we should be looking to weaken this year’s roster, even it costs us down the road.

Yes. They need to try to get under the luxury tax this year, because they will likely be in it the next few years when Walls contract kicks in.  They will be hammered with repeater luxury taxes.  They need to get under the tax this year to reset it so they aren’t a repeater next year.

Edited by MKnight82

It’s not going to happen. I just don’t see them being able to dump both Morris and Smith’s salaries. Also, as E said, this seems like the Wizards best chance ever to get out of the Eastern Conference because Lebron is out of the East.

How do you just give up on that chance because it may affect your cap in a few years? It’s clear they’re going for it because they signed two vets with playoff experience with the Green and Howard signings.

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Yes. They need to try to get under the luxury tax this year, because they will likely be in it the next few years when Walls contract kicks in.  They will be hammered with repeater luxury taxes.  They need to get under the tax this year to reset it so they aren’t a repeater next year.

To the best of my knowledge, they won’t be a repeater next year. In order to be a repeater, you have to have exceeded the luxury tax line in 3 of the previous 4 seasons.

They exceeded it last season, but I believe that was their first time over the tax. So even if they’re over again this season, that would be the second year, and next year would be the third. So as I’m seeing it, the first “repeater penalty” year would be the 2020-21 season. 

Still a deterrent, and there would be some advantage to staying out of the tax this year if possible — but the penalty is still pretty distant at this point, and as I said, I’m not sure you want to weaken what could be your best roster/chance in order to postpone that penalty. 

• Like 1

how the rest of the offseason should go if possible

Starters

PG Wall

SG Beal

SF Porter

PF Morris

C Howard

Reserves

PG Satoransky

SG Rivers

SF Oubre, Brown

PF Green

C Mahinmi, Bryant

CUT/Trade if possible

Smith

Meeks

Robinson

SIGN 

Ty lawson

SIGN VET MINS

PG Lawson

Final Depth Chart

PG Wall, Satoranky, Lawson

SG Beal, Rivers

SF Porter, Oubre, Brown

PF Morris, Green

C Howard, Mahinmi, Bryant

all in all with the additiobn of howard in the starting line up and the new and greatly improved bench this gives us probably the deepest team that I can remember having. the front runners for the east are boston and philly but  i dont see a reason why we cant compete with them, i think we have a solid shot in being a top 4 seed and challanging for an eastern conference finals as long as we stay healthy

• Like 1

I will say this, if Dwight Howard is playing out of his mind this year I’d deal him at the deadline. We’ll never be able to re-sign him and we have no chance at the title. Even if you are in the playoff race you deal him. 

• Like 1