Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No, a top 4 seed, win the first round in the playoffs and then challenge in the second round to go to the eastern conference finals like they’ve done 3 of the last 5 years with a less talented team than they currently have.

Or a shorter version: a second round ceiling

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

Or a shorter version: a second round ceiling

There’s only one team in the conference that I think has the potential to reach a level so high that the Wizards couldn’t meaningfully challenge them — Boston, if Kyrie and Hayward are both healthy and integrate effectively into what they already had in place — so I see it as likely a realistic ceiling of ECF. 

I guess maybe Philly could, if they were to all stay healthy and/or land Kawhi and/or get a huge step forward from Fultz and/or see Simmons become a league-average outside shooter. Think they’d need at least 3 of those to happen in order to truly outclass the Wizards.

Anyway, I think with decent fortune, the Wizards should have at least a reasonable shot at playing for a spot in the final 4. In a league where only one team has a realistic ceiling of “champions,” that’s not so bad. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

The Wizards are a good distance worse than the Raptors, Celtics, and 76ers. Eastern Conference semi-finals is certainly our ceiling, but I'll guess a first round loss to the Bucks or something is our likely outcome.

Ehh...the Sixers have a ton of talent, but they’ve basically had about a 30-game hot streak where they played some amazing ball (26-5 close to the regular season). 

Aside from that, they were a .500 team through 50 games last season, struggled to some degree with a pretty weak Miami team, and then got handled by a limited Boston team that needed 7 games to beat Milwaukee. If Simmons and Embiid stay healthy (no great bet) and they can bottle whatever mojo they were working with at the end of the season, then they might well be the better team. But I think it’s closer than “a good distance worse.”

And the Raptors...well, they’ll probably win 50 games or whatever because of their depth, but they had their hands full with the Wizards despite Wall being 5 games back from major surgery and Porter’s injury. The Wiz have upgraded their talent level overall this offseason while the Raptors have (at best) stayed the same and Lowry will be another year older. 

I know the consensus is that the Wizards (and Bucks and Pacers) are clearly behind the “top three” in the East, but personally I think that’s putting a little too much emphasis on last season — when things went great for Philly and Toronto (and Indiana, for that matter) and terribly for Washington. I think all those teams will drift closer to each other next season, even just via some good old fashioned “regression to the mean” action. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

Ehh...the Sixers have a ton of talent, but they’ve basically had about a 30-game hot streak where they played some amazing ball (26-5 close to the regular season). 

Aside from that, they were a .500 team through 50 games last season, struggled to some degree with a pretty weak Miami team, and then got handled by a limited Boston team that needed 7 games to beat Milwaukee. If Simmons and Embiid stay healthy (no great bet) and they can bottle whatever mojo they were working with at the end of the season, then they might well be the better team. But I think it’s closer than “a good distance worse.”

Considering they're so young I expect the 76ers to be much better next year.  Also adding Wilson Chandler was an under the radar move that should really help them this year.  Other than Covington their wings were pretty weak last year.  

And the Raptors...well, they’ll probably win 50 games or whatever because of their depth, but they had their hands full with the Wizards despite Wall being 5 games back from major surgery and Porter’s injury. The Wiz have upgraded their talent level overall this offseason while the Raptors have (at best) stayed the same and Lowry will be another year older. 

The Raptors and Wiz split the regular season series last year but in a 7 game playoff series I'd give the Raptors the edge.  Also Vegas has the Raptors as even money to land Kawhi Leonard.  

I know the consensus is that the Wizards (and Bucks and Pacers) are clearly behind the “top three” in the East, but personally I think that’s putting a little too much emphasis on last season — when things went great for Philly and Toronto (and Indiana, for that matter) and terribly for Washington. I think all those teams will drift closer to each other next season, even just via some good old fashioned “regression to the mean” action. 

I think the Pacers have had one of the best offseasons in the NBA.  Tyreke Evan, Doug McDermott and Kyle O'Quinn add a ton of depth to a team that was really good last year.  Still, lacking star power I'd probably give the Wizards the edge in a 7 game playoff series.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Pacers have a better regular season record than the Wizards though.  

The Bucks are weird, they also seem to perform below their talent level.  But a series against the Bucks would be a struggle for the Wizards.  

On 7/11/2018 at 3:29 PM, e16bball said:

There’s only one team in the conference that I think has the potential to reach a level so high that the Wizards couldn’t meaningfully challenge them — Boston, if Kyrie and Hayward are both healthy and integrate effectively into what they already had in place — so I see it as likely a realistic ceiling of ECF. 

I guess maybe Philly could, if they were to all stay healthy and/or land Kawhi and/or get a huge step forward from Fultz and/or see Simmons become a league-average outside shooter. Think they’d need at least 3 of those to happen in order to truly outclass the Wizards.

Anyway, I think with decent fortune, the Wizards should have at least a reasonable shot at playing for a spot in the final 4. In a league where only one team has a realistic ceiling of “champions,” that’s not so bad. 

Thanks E. Did I mention that’s it’s nice having you around again? 

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Considering they're so young I expect the 76ers to be much better next year.  Also adding Wilson Chandler was an under the radar move that should really help them this year.  Other than Covington their wings were pretty weak last year.  

The Raptors and Wiz split the regular season series last year but in a 7 game playoff series I'd give the Raptors the edge.  Also Vegas has the Raptors as even money to land Kawhi Leonard.  

I think the Pacers have had one of the best offseasons in the NBA.  Tyreke Evan, Doug McDermott and Kyle O'Quinn add a ton of depth to a team that was really good last year.  Still, lacking star power I'd probably give the Wizards the edge in a 7 game playoff series.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Pacers have a better regular season record than the Wizards though.  

The Bucks are weird, they also seem to perform below their talent level.  But a series against the Bucks would be a struggle for the Wizards.  

Damn, if only we had gotten Tyreke Evans, McDermott and Kyle O’Quinn we’d be Champions! ?This can’t be serious 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Damn, if only we had gotten Tyreke Evans, McDermott and Kyle O’Quinn we’d be Champions! ?This can’t be serious 

Those are great additions to their roster.  Not sure what you’re laughing at.  Evans alone is a huge addition.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Those are great additions to their roster.  Not sure what you’re laughing at.  Evans alone is a huge addition.

We had 3 great additions to that are equivalent or IMO better than those that you crap on and both of our players in our starting back court are better than theirs. The only position they have that is arguably better than ours is Myles Turner over Howard.