Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

I wrote a Fan Post over at bulltsforever. Here you go. This is really a response to the NeverOtto fanclub. And that's my honest assessment on Wall and the Wizards' primary issues.

In general, yes, I'd blow it up. Wall's supermax is a BIG issue... I've been saying that since last year. If they can find a trade partner, they should jump on it. Quite honestly, I'm fine with trading Otto too. There was some rumblings of the Wolves; and I think he'd be a great fit there. But Wall, and his contract, are what is and will hold this team back.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2018/11/1/18052898/otto-isn-t-the-issue-john-wall-is-here-s-why

53 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I wrote a Fan Post over at bulltsforever. Here you go. This is really a response to the NeverOtto fanclub. And that's my honest assessment on Wall and the Wizards' primary issues.

In general, yes, I'd blow it up. Wall's supermax is a BIG issue... I've been saying that since last year. If they can find a trade partner, they should jump on it. Quite honestly, I'm fine with trading Otto too. There was some rumblings of the Wolves; and I think he'd be a great fit there. But Wall, and his contract, are what is and will hold this team back.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2018/11/1/18052898/otto-isn-t-the-issue-john-wall-is-here-s-why

Who is going to want Wall though?  The Suns?  Denver maybe?  

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25187751/zach-lowe-john-wall-bradley-beal-washington-wizards-nba

"Trading Wall might be Washington's only get-out-of-jail card. Trading Beal would hurt the team. Porter wouldn't bring enough return to make a difference.

A Wall deal before July 1 is unlikely in part due to complexities surrounding his 15 percent trade kicker -- believed to be the first trade kicker that would be spread over the length of a supermax contract. Trade kickers cannot lift a player's salary above his maximum in the year he is traded, meaning Wall's payout could shrink if the Wizards trade him in 2019-20 once he shifts onto his supermax deal -- and perhaps close to $0 in that 2019-20 season, sources say.

If they trade him before then, they might owe him a giant lump sum, sources say. (Wall's 2018-19 salary of $19.2 million is well below his eligible maximum because he signed his current deal under a lower salary-cap figure.) None of this is 100 percent clear in the collective bargaining agreement, and it will need to be studied further if it proves relevant. Rises in salary cap at some point during the length of Wall's supermax could trigger further trade kicker payments to him.

We might be down to one plausible candidate to send Washington real value for Wall at some point over the next year-plus: Phoenix, run by an impatient owner, Robert Sarver, without a seasoned GM to check his most dangerous impulses.

The Luka Doncic-Trae Young trade filled point guard holes in two franchises. Orlando still has a hole, but chasing Wall -- even on the cheap -- would violate the patient approach Jeff Weltman and John Hammond have taken. De'Aaron Fox looks like the answer in Sacramento. Brooklyn is too smart, even if the Nets decide neither Spencer Dinwiddie nor D'Angelo Russell is their answer. (Caris LeVert might be.)

The Knicks appear to have gotten religion, though we should never underestimate the damage James Dolan might inflict if they whiff on free-agent stars."

On 11/5/2018 at 10:23 AM, Skinsin2013 said:

Can’t trade Wall’s contract, probably can’t trade Otto’s contract because he’s grossly overpaid.

The player they could trade and should trade if they want to blow it up is Beal, but honestly I don’t think they do it. They’ve been reluctant to trade Beal for years. They probably were reluctant to trade him for Paul George or Kawhai Leonard each of the last two seasons which is why we were never mentioned as serious contenders to get those two All-Star all around great players who actually play lock down D! Heck, even on draft day they wouldn’t send the 3rd overall pick (which ended up being Beal) to the Thunder for Harden!

How awesome would we be if we had Harden instead of Beal?

I’d trade Beal to the T-wolves along with Morris for Butler & Taj Gibson. That gives us a lock down wing defender and two good defenders on the interior with Howard and Gibson, Gibson also rebounds well and can guard stretch 4 & 5’s just like Green.

They've had a lousy start, but it is just Nov after all and they just recently got Howard back in the court. I think they improve over the next month no matter what they do and while I’d trade Beal for Butler, I do doubt it happens.

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Can’t trade Wall’s contract, probably can’t trade Otto’s contract because he’s grossly overpaid.

The player they could trade and should trade if they want to blow it up is Beal, but honestly I don’t think they do it. They’ve been reluctant to trade Beal for years. They probably were reluctant to trade him for Paul George or Kawhai Leonard each of the last two seasons which is why we were never mentioned as serious contenders to get those two All-Star all around great players who actually play lock down D! Heck, even on draft day they wouldn’t send the 3rd overall pick (which ended up being Beal) to the Thunder for Harden!

How awesome would we be if we had Harden instead of Beal?

I’d trade Beal to the T-wolves along with Morris for Butler & Taj Gibson. That gives us a lock down wing defender and two good defenders on the interior with Howard and Gibson, Gibson also rebounds well and can guard stretch 4 & 5’s just like Green.

They've had a lousy start, but it is just Nov after all and they just recently got Howard back in the court. I think they improve over the next month no matter what they do and while I’d trade Beal for Butler, I do doubt it happens.

They need to trade Wall.  Beal is on a reasonable contract for an all star.  Porter is still young with upside.  Wall is overpaid and declining.