Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

55 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ariza has expiring contract though.  They’re picking up a $15 mil vet for one year in a lost season and trading away Oubre, a solid asset, for basically nothing.

Isn't the writing on the wall for Ernie? He needs something miraculous to happen this season.

I heard the deal isn’t going through because there was a mix up on which Brooks was going to get traded from Memphis. 

Nevermind, they worked it out. They’re giving Wall what he wants with this trade. He loved playing with Ariza:

Edited by turtle28

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I heard the deal isn’t going through because there was a mix up on which Brooks was going to get traded from Memphis. 

Nevermind, they worked it out. They’re giving Wall what he wants with this trade. He loved playing with Ariza:

So they dump Oubre, who they could have traded last year for a quality return, and immediately dump the one bench addition they added in the offseason for an expiring vet who doesn’t save them any salary this year.  Great.

19 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

So they dump Oubre, who they could have traded last year for a quality return, and immediately dump the one bench addition they added in the offseason for an expiring vet who doesn’t save them any salary this year.  Great.

Yeah, it’s stupid. I feel they could have traded Oubre for something more or for a draft pick but I’m telling you, Wall loved playing with Ariza as much or more than anyone else in his career.

I will say that salary this year isn’t an issue, it’s next year. I believe that they had a choice to make with Oubre as far as tendering him in July and that was going to be expensive. What they basically did was draft Troy Brown to replace Oubre last July.

Edited by turtle28

honestly if the lakers want ariza bad enough i would love to package him with wall and green and send them on the way out, take lonzo, hart, kuzma, and ingram with a 1st unprotected and call it a day. . this needs to be brads team, hes the best player on it. I would also trade porter too, basically get rid of everyone but beal

7 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

honestly if the lakers want ariza bad enough i would love to package him with wall and green and send them on the way out, take lonzo, hart, kuzma, and ingram with a 1st unprotected and call it a day. . this needs to be brads team, hes the best player on it. I would also trade porter too, basically get rid of everyone but beal

The Lakers aren’t going to do that. They didn’t even want to give up a young player for Ariza like we just didn’t whrh Oubre. The Lakers want to keep most - if not all - of their young core in tact.

Wizards take care of the Lakers w/ Lebron 128-110:

Wall: 40 pts, 59%, 4/8 from 3, 14 asts, 6 rebs, 3 steals, 2 blocks

Beal: 25 pts, 42%, 4/9 from 3, 12 rebs

Green: 20 pts, 53%, 4/6 from 3, 7 rebs, 

Dekker: 20 pts, 5 rebs, 4 asts, 3 steals

Sato: 11 pts, 4 rebs, 5 asts

Bryant: 8 pts, 11 rebs, 2 blocks 

Amid all of his team's losses and infighting and roster flux, John Wall showed just how well he's capable of playing, producing 40 points and 14 assists to lead the Washington Wizards past a sluggish LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers, 128-110 Sunday night.  A day after he and Lonzo Ball each registered a triple-double in a win at Charlotte, James was limited to a season-low 13 points, along with six rebounds and three assists, while making just five of 16 shots.  The Wizards emphatically ended a four-game losing streak, going up by as many as 18 in the first quarter and 27 in the third.

Edited by turtle28

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/12/17/18144945/wizards-ariza-trade-ernie-grunfeld 

Ernie Grunfeld sure knows how to get himself out of a jam. He’s been the head executive of the Wizards since 2003; only four people (San Antonio’s R.C. Buford, Miami’s Pat Riley, Dallas’s Donnie Nelson, and Boston’s Danny Ainge, all title winners) have been in that role for longer. But the Wizards have not been a model of Spursian dominance; they have not won 50 games or two consecutive playoff series in 40 years. Grunfeld’s best teams can most favorably be described as cult classics. His best trades have been middling deals to get out of predicaments that he created earlier in his tenure. His good draft picks have been gimmes, and his bad draft picks — boy, have they been bad......

The Wizards under Grunfeld have been a model of deceptive incompetence. Their middling success has been good enough to convince fans to leave their pitchforks at home. And that, apparently, is good enough for ownership. When Grunfeld’s contract is extended, as it was as recently as 2017, it is done in secret. Much has been written about the team’s failings on the court and the soap opera that is the locker room, but it is often ignored that this is the continuing result of a 15-year process overseen by one man.

Now, when the Wizards stumble into the playoffs with a mangled, limping roster bolstered by a rent-a-wing acquired as part of a salary dump (sound familiar?), it will be harder to see it as a valiant quest by an undermanned team and easier to see it as an act of self-preservation by a GM who knows that the next season in the lottery could be his last.

• Like 1

The Ariza trade was a screw up.

Ariza is in his 15th year and isn't a very good 3pt shooter anymore. He'll probably bolt after this year.

Oubre wasn't very good. His basketball IQ is/was incredibly poor and never approached his athleticism. Rivers wasn't very good either. But he actually was pretty good on D.

The trade primarily was a screwup, however, simply because we lost the two second-rounders in under 18 hours. So we get back an aging rental that Ernie hope will being a magic wand with him.

Guys I'm liking these days... Decker (athletic and smart - just stay away from the 3pt line) and Troy Brown Jr. - same attributes but incredibly young. This guy has a high ceiling IMO. The only questions are 1) will Brooks try to develop him; and 2) will he ever reach is full potential in our iso-guard-heavy system? John and Brad have never shown a desire to give up their shot volume... for any reason.