Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

On 2/5/2019 at 1:56 PM, turtle28 said:

So now you see what I’ve seen all year? Lol 😂... ok buddy. Ariza was traded for as a 3 & D players too and he can’t hit the broad side of a barn either!

Wall was playing on a heal that needed surgery, Porter, Sato - who can’t hit an open shot either - and others are healthy. They don’t have the injury excuse that Wall had.

Wall showed up to camp overweight with heal spurs. That's what we call a character issue.

And injury excuse my ***. Was he injured against the Lakers? He had some good games in there. The Wall crowd is a trip.

Ted appears to be fine sitting on his thumb... or Ernie's thumb.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Wall showed up to camp overweight with heal spurs. That's what we call a character issue.

And injury excuse my ***. Was he injured against the Lakers? He had some good games in there. The Wall crowd is a trip.

Ted appears to be fine sitting on his thumb... or Ernie's thumb.

Pretty sure, Wall has been dealing with a heel issue on and off for a few years. At least that’s what Scott Brooks said, and they finally decided to have surgery on the heal. 

I don’t think that’s a “character issue,” that’s a medical issue. The wizards organization has handled Wall’s injuries wrong IMO for years. He should’ve have never been allowed to play an entire season on two bad knees 3 years ago - both which requires offseason surgery two years ago - or on a bad heel the last two years.

Wall should have been made to have his knee surgeries when he started having issues with his knees in 2016 or 2017. They didn’t have him have the surgeries though and if Wall’s heal was also bothering him last season - that’s what Brooks said - then, when he had his knee surgery last year then, he should’ve also had the heel surgery and then missed the entire second half of the 2017-18 season.

If Wall has the knee surgeries during the season in 2016 then, the Wizards end up with a lottery pick in the 2017 draft instead of deciding to trade for Bogdanavic so that they had another shooter for Wall in the 2016-17 playoffs. 

Then, last year when he had the knee surgery, he should’ve had the heel surgery as well. If that happens, the Wizards have a lottery pick in the 2018 draft as well. 

The wizards have totally mismanaged Wall’s injury issues for years and now it’s all coming to a head!

If the Wizards had played their cards right with Wall’s injuries and had Wall get those surgeries in season, 3 seasons ago and last season, right now they’d have two lottery picks coming off their bench - or even starting at PF & C - along with a healthy Wall, Beal, Porter, Sato, Ariza, Green and Bryant.

Ernie, Brooks and their medical staff have just managed Wall all wrong since he first started having his knee troubles during the 2016 season.

Live look in at the hopes and dreams of Wizards' fans for the "Wall mega era"

GregariousDefiantIndri-size_restricted.g

Had they a competent GM, they could have gone all in on selling off everything for draft picks and building for the future. But alas, they seem to think that they can still compete.

• Like 1

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Lol wizards just dumped Otto Porter for garbage.  What a disaster.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25940828/bulls-get-otto-porter-wizards-bobby-portis-jabari-parker

The Washington Wizards have agreed to trade forward Otto Porter Jr. to the Chicago Bulls for forwards Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker, a league source confirmed to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The deal includes a 2023 second-round pick to the Wizards, the source told ESPN.

1. So, now they'll have two second round picks to look forward to in 2023 (they have none until then).
  2. Odds are, if Grunfeld stays (and why wouldn't he? nothing to date has convinced Leonsis to fire him) they won't have those seconds when 2023 rolls around.
  3. Since Wall is out for 2019, apparently the marching orders are now "dump salary and get under the luxury tax threshold" (Parker has a $20M team option, Portis is a RFA (with a $3.6M qualifying offer)).

To not get a first round pick back ... silly.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25940828/bulls-get-otto-porter-wizards-bobby-portis-jabari-parker

1. So, now they'll have two second round picks to look forward to in 2023 (they have none until then).
  2. Odds are, if Grunfeld stays (and why wouldn't he? nothing to date has convinced Leonsis to fire him) they won't have those seconds when 2023 rolls around.
  3. Since Wall is out for 2019, apparently the marching orders are now "dump salary and get under the luxury tax threshold" (Parker has a $20M team option, Portis is a RFA (with a $3.6M qualifying offer)).

To not get a first round pick back ... silly.

The only reason they dumped Porter was to save the owner money.  It got them below the luxury tax, that was the point.  

Per https://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/yearly/cap/ only players under contract in 2019-2020 season are

• John Wall (signed through 2021, has a player option on 2022 ... no chance he doesn't execute that option)
  • Bradley Beal (signed through 2020)
  • Troy Brown (signed through 2019, with club options in 2020 and 2021 ... he's likely getting those, but with Washington?)
  • Ian Mahinmi (signed through 2019)
  • Dwight Howard (has a player option in 2019)
  • Jabari Parker (has a team option for 2019)

with RFA possibilities on:

• Chasson Randle
  • Tomas Santoransky
  • Sam Dekker
  • Thomas Bryant
  • Bobby Portis

The funny thing is that I remember pointing and laughing when the Wizards passed on drafting Portis for Oubre (since they had Porter). Problem apparently solved!

Edited by Woz
Adding when the players contracts expire

Just now, MKnight82 said:

The only reason they dumped Porter was to save the owner money.  It got them below the luxury tax, that was the point.  

Umm ... I believe I said that in #3.

Only thing I thought silly was not getting a better draft pick back for Porter.

What's not to love about this trade?

The Wizards unloaded an awful Otto Porter contract for two starting caliber bigs who both average the same amount as Otto!

Parker: 14 pts, 6 rebs 

Portis: 14 pts, 7 rebs

And while Parker has battled injuries, he and Portis are only 23. 

Edited by turtle28

They might as well blow things up now and let Beal go or build around Beal. Wall's focus should be on getting healthy and staying in shape without basketball for some time. Your ethier tanking full throttle with the Beal trade or you play the best you can as you build around Beal while trying to get a top pick in the draft. I'm looking forward to seeing what Parker can bring. He was definitely a guy I wad high in coming out of Duke. Seemed to have some similarities to Melo's game. Take the rest of the season and see how Parker and Beal fit together. The DC sports teams are truly a disappointment. Definitely need some new Management in place.