Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

38 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

They might as well blow things up now and let Beal go or build around Beal. Wall's focus should be on getting healthy and staying in shape without basketball for some time. Your ethier tanking full throttle with the Beal trade or you play the best you can as you build around Beal while trying to get a top pick in the draft. I'm looking forward to seeing what Parker can bring. He was definitely a guy I wad high in coming out of Duke. Seemed to have some similarities to Melo's game. Take the rest of the season and see how Parker and Beal fit together. The DC sports teams are truly a disappointment. Definitely need some new Management in place.

It's pretty clear they're going to build around Beal. That's why they moved Otto’s albatross of a contact for two stretch bigs who average the same amount as Otto and may average even more now that they'll have Beal and Sato to create more open shots for them.

Edited by turtle28

From a WaPo email I get daily: 

NBC Sports Washington's Ben Standig 

reportedthat Trevor Ariza and Jeff Green “remain in Washington's plans this season and beyond,” as does Beal. The team gained future flexibility yesterday, but what is the goal for next season? And why would it involve Ariza (33) and Green (32)? And why wouldn't it be better to deal those guys for future assets?

“There is ZERO reason for the Wiz to keep Ariza after their moves,” David Aldridge wrote. “Troy Brown, their 2018 first, is barely playing. They just got Bobby Portis (RFA in July)." Investing minutes and money into Ariza “makes no sense,” Aldridge wrote. “There’s absolutely no point holding on to Trevor Ariza or Jeff Green before the trade deadline,” he also wrote

e854f5f250732f99900f9abbfcd23e54-600-0-70-8-1093379729170882560width580embedTypetwitter.png

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

So he already dealt the second round pick he got in the trade with the Bulls lmao. 

First reaction: Wait ... seriously?!

Second reaction: Well, it is Grunfeld. Why are you surprised?

Further research: per ESPN, the 2nd they got back from Chicago is protected, so they may have traded their natural 2023 2nd (or potentially the 2nd from the Clippers as part of the Meeks trade). Who knows at this point, except your best bet is to assume that Washington, come draft day, will not have a second round pick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So he already dealt the second round pick he got in the trade with the Bulls lmao. 

I don't understand that bc Morris is an expiring contract and so is Wesley Johnson. Yes, they save cap space to stay under the luxury tax but that doesn't matter in July bc they are both free agents.

I'd rather have that 2nd round pick and have that guy play on the Go-Go for a few years to hopefully develop into a future reserve/maybe starter like Sato has.

Trading for Wesley Johnson is stupid! It just takes minutes away from Troy Brown, Jr. and stunts his development even more than it has been this year.

Edited by turtle28

@turtle28, I realize you are just relaying what David Aldridge said, but that should be Obvious Town news. Investing time (now) and money (next year with new contracts) in guys who will be 34 and 33 (respectively) next season is the height of stupidity.

This being the Wizards, it should come as no surprise that they plan to climb Mt. Idiocy.

• Like 1

Just now, turtle28 said:

I don't understand that bc Morris is an expiring contract and so is Wesley Johnson. Yes, they save cap space to stay under the luxury tax but that doesn't matter in July bc they are both free agents.

That's the whole reason.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I'd rather have that 2nd round pick and have that guy play on the go-go for a few years to hopefully develop into a future reserve/maybe starter like Sato has.

Why do you think the Wizards would ever have a useful 2nd round pick? If they don't trade it away before the draft, they'll trade it away during the draft for cash considerations. If they somehow do make it a pick, it will be a Euro stash guy that will take four-five years to arrive (a la Santoransky) or never appear (all of their other Euro stashes).

Just now, turtle28 said:

Trading for Wesley Johnson Grunfeld is stupid! It just takes minutes away from Troy Brown, Jr. and stunts his development even more than it has been this year.

FTFY

1 minute ago, Woz said:

@turtle28, I realize you are just relaying what David Aldridge said, but that should be Obvious Town news. Investing time (now) and money (next year with new contracts) in guys who will be 34 and 33 (respectively) next season is the height of stupidity.

This being the Wizards, it should come as no surprise that they plan to climb Mt. Idiocy.

Everyone is saying that, Ben Standing said is also.

Ben Standing also pointed out that Jabari Parker has a $20 million option next that the Wizards are sure to decline. They could re-sign him for something cheaper after declining that, but maybe not. If he plays well the second half of this year, I’d hope they'd consider re-signing him if they can afford him. 

Bobby Portis is also a RFA. In full disclosure, I wanted to draft Bobby Portis over Kelly Oubre in the 2015 draft and we wouldn't have had to trade up.

Personally, I’d like to have Jabari Parker as the starting or back up PF next year rather than Jeff Green and a younger FA starting at SF or Troy Brown Jr rather than Ariza. Bobby Portis can either be a starting C or PF next year. He’s a true PF, and a stretch 5.

I’d like to find some way to keep Parker rather than re-sign Green & Ariza.

I love Green & Ariza, but they should let them walk and sign cheaper guys.

We have to keep these younger guys over the 33 & 34-year-old guys.

Our line up next year could be:

PG: Sato, Randle (FA or Rookie)

SG: Beal, Troy Brown (FA or rookie?)

SF: Troy Brown, Sam Dekker

PF: Portis, Parker (FA or Rookie?)

C: Howard, Bryant

19 minutes ago, Woz said:

That's the whole reason.

Why do you think the Wizards would ever have a useful 2nd round pick? If they don't trade it away before the draft, they'll trade it away during the draft for cash considerations. If they somehow do make it a pick, it will be a Euro stash guy that will take four-five years to arrive (a la Santoransky) or never appear (all of their other Euro stashes).

FTFY

Satoranky was a 2nd round pick and it worked. I don't care if a guy develops in Europe for a few years or on the Go-Go for a few years as long as we own his rights. In the past, Domnic McGuire and Shelvin Mack were successful 2nd round picks. 

The truth is a 2nd round pick in the NBA is equivalent to a mid or late round pick in the NFL draft. Most of the time, at best you hope that guy can make your team and be a contributing reserve. It's rare that they are more than that.

Losing a 2nd round pick is not the end of the world bc most likely they won't ever play in the league but the trading Morris away and including the 2nd just irkes me especially bc we did it for a SF so now it guarantees that Troy Brown will ride the pine unless they play him at SG as Beal’s back up.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Satoranky was a 2nd round pick and it worked. I don't care if a guy develops in Europe for a few years or on the Go-Go for a few years as long as we own his rights.

Satoransky (a Czech) is only one of two foreign 2nd round picks that has ever actually played for the Wizards in the Grunfeld error era (Hamady N'Diaye, who they traded for on draft day in 2010, being the other). To be fair, Satoransky is arguably the second most successful foreign player to play for the Wizards regardless of draft status, behind Kevin Seraphin (French). Of course, being better than Oleskiy Pecherov, N'Diaye, and Jan Vesely isn't saying a whole lot.

In the past, Domnic McGuire and Shelvin Mack were successful 2nd round picks. 

McGuire and Mack are American. Also, the fact that you had to go back 12 and 8 years (respectively) to find another "successful" 2nd round pick speaks to the paucity of talent brought into DC under Grunfeld.

To help out, here are the second round picks in the past 15 years (plus the next five going forward since I know how they'll turn out already (read: gone like the wind)). Bolded players are second round picks that actually suited up for the Wizards.

Foreign-born players drafted by the Wizards

2018 - Issuf Sanon (Lithuanian, has not played in the NBA yet)
2013 - Arsalan Kazemi (second of two in 2013; Iranian, was traded on draft day (along with Nate Wolters) to the Sixers for Glen Rice Jr.; has never played in the NBA)
2012 - Tomas Satoransky [FOR WIZARDS: 2017-current, 183 GP, 60 GS, 19.9 MPG, 6.0 PPG, 2.6 RPG (0.8 ORB, 1.8 DRB), 3.3 APG, 0.7 SPG, 0.2 BPG, 1.0 TPG]
2010 - Nemanja Bjelica (Serbian, was traded on draft day (along Lazar Hayward) for Trevor Booker and Hamady N'Diaye; Bjelica played in the NBA starting in 2015 for Minnesota)
2006 - Vladimir Veremeenko (Belarussian, never played in the NBA)

Other 2nd round picks (future pick status from: https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team )

2023 - <pick traded away in 2019 (along with Markieff Morris) for Wesley Johnson>
2022 - <pick traded away in 2019 (along with 2021 2nd and Jason Smith) for Sam Dekker >
2021 - <pick traded away in 2019 (along with 2022 2nd and Jason Smith) for Sam Dekker>
2020 - <pick traded away in 2019 (along with Jodie Meeks) for draft compensation> [what "draft compensation" means, I don't know; it isn't a draft pick, though]
2019 - <pick traded away in 2016 draft to get Kelly Oubre>
------
2017 - <pick traded away day before the draft for Tim Frazier>
2016 - <pick traded away in 2015 draft to get Kelly Oubre>
2015 - Aaron White (American, playing in Europe ... never played in the NBA, but was part of the Wizards Summer League team in 2015 before heading to Europe)
2014 - Jordan Clarkson (traded on draft day to the Lakers for cash considerations)
2013 - Nate Wolters (first of two in 2013; traded (along with Arsalan Kazemi) on draft day to the Sixers for Glen Rice Jr.)
2011 - Shelvin Mack [FOR WIZARDS: 2011-2013, 71 GP, 2 GS, 13.0 MPG, 3.8 PPG, 1.5 RPG (0.2 ORB, 1.3 DRB), 2.2 APG, 0.5 SPG, 0.0 BPG, 0.8 TPG]
2009 - Jermaine Taylor (traded on draft day to the Rockets for cash considerations)
2008 - Bill Walker (traded on draft day to the Celtics for cash considerations)
2007 - Dominic McGuire [FOR WIZARDS: 2007-2010, 190 GP, 58 GS, 15.8 MPG, 2.5 PPG, 3.3 RPG (1.0 ORB, 2.3 DRB), 1.3 APG, 0.5 SPG, 0.5 BPG, 0.7 TPG]
2005 - Andray Blatche [FOR WIZARDS: 2005-2012, 409 GP, 176 GS, 22.7 MPG, 9.9 PPG, 5.4 RPG (1.9 ORB, 3.6 DRB), 1.5 APG, 0.8 SPG, 0.9 BPG, 1.7 TPG]
2004 - Peter John Ramos [FOR WIZARDS: 2005, 6 GP, 0 GS, 3.3 MPG, 1.8 PPG, 0.7 RPG (0.2 ORB, 0.5 DRB), 0.0 APG, 0.0 SPG, 0.2 BPG, 0.5 TPG](*)
2003 - Steve Blake [FOR WIZARDS: 2003-2005, 119 GP, 15 GS, 17.1 MPG, 5.3 PPG, 1.6 RPG (0.3 ORB, 1.3 DRB), 2.3 APG, 0.6 SPG, 0.1 BPG, 1.4 TPG]

Just to be complete

Glen Rice Jr. (American) [FOR WIZARDS: 2013-2015, 16 GP, 1 GS, 9.5 MPG, 2.7 PPG, 1.5 RPG (0.4 ORB, 1.1 DRB), 0.6 APG, 0.4 SPG, 0.1 BPG, 0.7 TPG]
Hamady N'Diaye (Sengalese) [FOR WIZARDS: 2010-2012, 33 GP, 0 GS, 4.4 MPG, 0.7 PPG, 0.4 RPG (0.1 ORB, 0.3 DRB), 0.0 APG, 0.1 SPG, 0.3 BPG, 0.2 TPG]

So, a decade's worth of picks will amount to next to nothing. Maybe Sanon comes through for them; I'm not holding my breath. 

(*) Ramos is American, albeit born and played in Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans are American citizens.

The truth is a 2nd round pick in the NBA is equivalent to a mid or late round pick in the NFL draft. Most of the time, at best you hope that guy can make your team and be a contributing reserve. It's rare that they are more than that.

Except they don't even try for that, since they've sold those positions for cheap.

Losing a 2nd round pick is not the end of the world bc most likely they won't ever play in the league but the trading Morris away and including the 2nd just irkes me especially bc we did it for a SF so now it guarantees that Troy Brown will ride the pine unless they play him at SG as Beal’s back up.

Well, given that they have no power forwards at all on the roster, someone has to play the 4, even if they suck at it.