Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

3 hours ago, Woz said:

The equivalent would be Washington qualifying as a wild card and then losing in the first round or maybe divisional round. Yes they made the playoffs, but beyond a fluke game, it was meaningless.

So, no, I would not be all that thrilled.

Better than just missing the playoffs nearly every year and never being in the dance at all.

For the last 3 years the Redskins have been one of the teams closest to the wildcard but missed out by a game or a mathematical formula/whatever.

I’d rather them get in and maybe win a game - equivalent to the wizards winning a few series this decade - than to be one of the last teams to miss out on the playoffs.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’m assuming Ernie will package Brown and a first round pick so he can dump Walls contract on someone next year. 

Man I hope not. 2020-2021 could be a good year for the Wiz if we can keep and continue to develop some of this young talent. Get a lottery pick this year and next year and add one more star to play with Beal & Wall, hopefully a big.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Better than just missing the playoffs nearly every year and never being in the dance at all.

For the last 3 years the Redskins have been one of the teams closest to the wildcard but missed out by a game or a mathematical formula/whatever.

I’d rather them get in and maybe win a game - equivalent to the wizards winning a few series this decade - than to be one of the last teams to miss out on the playoffs.

I'd rather Washington actually be a contender than some other team's speed bump because Washington fell into the playoffs. But to each their own.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I do! Again, we’ve had this discussion for 3 or more years. I’ve been crystal clear about it.

And I've been crystal clear that I'll still poke fun at you about it. :D

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

He should 

"Will" is one thing. Ernie's an idiot so, yes, it's on the table.

"Should," however, is another thing. Setting themselves up to burn the last of the 1st round picks for the entire decade, as laughable as I find the Wizards, feels like blowing up the floor out from underneath himself ... for what purpose? Why should he nuke the team when his job would be on the line? It's an idiotic move. As bad as Wall's contract is, leaving the franchise with just Beal and some spare parts is just setting himself up to get fired.

59 minutes ago, Woz said:

I'd rather Washington actually be a contender than some other team's speed bump because Washington fell into the playoffs. But to each their own.

And I've been crystal clear that I'll still poke fun at you about it. :D

It’s pretty much luck to become a contender in the NBA. The Wizards had the #1 pick twice this decade. The first time there was no one worth taking with the #1 pick, the year after was arguably the best draft in NBA history. 

The second time the Wizards took a point guard - John Wall - who when he was healthy was one of the best in the NBA and resurrected the franchise after Gilbert Arenas destroyed it. 

Then they took Beal who when healthy and with Wall forms one of the best back courts in the NBA. The issue they’ve had is they haven’t found consistent front court play and Porters contract extension ended up being a bad one for the Wizards.

Well, they might have a chance to not suck now.

Not right away, mind you (probably four to five years to pull out of the ditch completely), but if they hire the right guy, they have a chance.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Definitely a huge issue anyone who takes the job is inheriting. Whoever they hire, I just hope they hit on the lottery pick and they don't keep the 30 something vets. I liked what I've seen from the young guys this year. I'm all for continuing the youth movement!

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Well, they might have a chance to not suck now.

Not right away, mind you (probably four to five years to pull out of the ditch completely), but if they hire the right guy, they have a chance.

They have to do something to get rid of Wall and go full rebuild.