Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

Pretty decent pick there with Schofield. 

He’s so bulky that it’s kinda hard to envision him transitioning well to the NBA game with the emphasis on fluidity and mobility, but he’s such a good athlete that I think he’ll be able to be a valuable defender. 

Offensive game is a little limited, but he shot the hell out of the ball last year, so that could make him pretty valuable as a rotation guy from day one. 

• Like 1

... huh, not as vitriolic as I thought you'd all be with that draft. Is that due to getting the second pick with Schofield?

*looks at Virginia players*

• Wow, the wiki article for the NBA draft is surprisingly badly out of sync with the actual draft. They don't have a bunch of the later trades lined up at all.
  • De'Andre Hunter
    • Went 4th overall ... solid.
    • The NCAA tournament did a lot to rehabilitate his value (his 2018-19 regular season was poor).
    • Going to the Hawks is not a bad landing spot for him at all.
    • Hunter plus Cam Reddish? I think the Hawks may have just vaulted ahead of the Wizards in one quick move.
  • Ty Jerome
    • Original thought (per the wiki): Going to the Sixers would be a good situation for him, especially with some of their free agents perhaps moving on.
    • Reading further (from streakingthelawn): Wait, he went to the Suns? Oof. That's a major downgrade in terms of a landing spot. Going to have to claw and scrape for any hope of viability in the West.
  • Kyle Guy
    • Original though (per the wiki): ... oh, Kyle ... I'm so, so so sorry. Going to the Knicks is the kiss of death.
    • Reading further (from streaking the lawn): well ... not being on the Knicks is an improvement, but going to the Kings isn't that much better
    • In either case, bet you are regretting declaring for the draft. Had you not been drafted, you could have returned to UVA for a senior season and an attempt to improve your situation.
  • Mariol Shayok (former Cav turned Iowa State Cyclone)
    • He goes to the Sixers because of course he does.

I actually like the pick. He can score and he’s pretty smart on the court for a guy with such little experience with the game. I think people were blinded by Reddish being there but I always kinda figured he would be. He’s not very good and it showed. I think fans are going to love Rui. 

37 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I actually like the pick. He can score and he’s pretty smart on the court for a guy with such little experience with the game. I think people were blinded by Reddish being there but I always kinda figured he would be. He’s not very good and it showed. I think fans are going to love Rui. 

Rui’s ceiling is a bench player though.  He’s not going to be a starter on a legit contender.

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Rui’s ceiling is a bench player though.  He’s not going to be a starter on a legit contender.

I mean that could be the case but who knows? His basketball experience is still young so his ceiling could actually be higher than anybody knows. I felt like he was the best player on the board when they picked but I could be wrong on that if Reddish becomes the player he was supposed to be. 

22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean that could be the case but who knows? His basketball experience is still young so his ceiling could actually be higher than anybody knows. I felt like he was the best player on the board when they picked but I could be wrong on that if Reddish becomes the player he was supposed to be. 

i feel out of who was left when we picked he was the one who could contribute the most right now. but with that said, i do believe his ceiling is limited. I like his frame and his personality of someone who will come in and work hard. I believe this pick was more about changing the culture that this team has as far as work ethic  and trying to bee the best you can be

I’m really puzzled by some of these projections of Hachimura’s “upside.”

Not a starter on a legit contender? Danny Green, Maurice Harkless, Nikola Mirotic, and the fossilized remains of Andrew Bogut all just started for teams in the Conference Finals. JaVale McGee, Tristan Thompson, Zaza Pachulia, JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, and Timofey Mozgov were all full-time starters at one point or another for the two teams that dominated the last half-decade of basketball. 

I would agree that it’s hard to envision superstar or probably even All-Star upside with him, but I don’t think he’s got a low ceiling for a back-half lottery pick. He has a higher realistic ceiling than the guy picked in front of him (Hayes), who will likely never be anything more than a rim-runner and rim-protector — which, while useful, is close to dime a dozen in today’s NBA. And he clearly has a higher ceiling than Cam Johnson, who went 2 picks later. 

As I’ve said, I didn’t love the pick. But I think it’s over the top to say there’s a bench ceiling on a guy who goes 6’8 with a huge wingspan and hands, put up 20 a game for a top 5 team, has a great frame and physique, can score effectively on each level and shot 42% from 3 as a junior, and has only been playing organized basketball since high school. It comes down to the shooting, as it always does nowadays, but if he can continue progressing and hit the NBA 3-ball at a solid rate, I’m not sure why he couldn’t be Tobias Harris (for example). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m really puzzled by some of these projections of Hachimura’s “upside.”

Not a starter on a legit contender? Danny Green, Maurice Harkless, Nikola Mirotic, and the fossilized remains of Andrew Bogut all just started for teams in the Conference Finals. JaVale McGee, Tristan Thompson, Zaza Pachulia, JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, and Timofey Mozgov were all full-time starters at one point or another for the two teams that dominated the last half-decade of basketball. 

I would agree that it’s hard to envision superstar or probably even All-Star upside with him, but I don’t think he’s got a low ceiling for a back-half lottery pick. He has a higher realistic ceiling than the guy picked in front of him (Hayes), who will likely never be anything more than a rim-runner and rim-protector — which, while useful, is close to dime a dozen in today’s NBA. And he clearly has a higher ceiling than Cam Johnson, who went 2 picks later. 

As I’ve said, I didn’t love the pick. But I think it’s over the top to say there’s a bench ceiling on a guy who goes 6’8 with a huge wingspan and hands, put up 20 a game for a top 5 team, has a great frame and physique, can score effectively on each level and shot 42% from 3 as a junior, and has only been playing organized basketball since high school. It comes down to the shooting, as it always does nowadays, but if he can continue progressing and hit the NBA 3-ball at a solid rate, I’m not sure why he couldn’t be Tobias Harris (for example). 

Do you envision him being a starter off the bat? Luckily for him we don’t have anyone else at the 4 on the roster unless we resign Jabari on a smaller contract but even then I see rui getting meaningful minutes. Who do you see in your starting lineup?

i guess for me it goes Sato, Beal, Brown, Rui, and Bryant. 

Of course Sato and Bryant need to resign but I just don’t see a strong lineup but honestly I roll with them over adding other players, the one thing that I do like is that that’s a very youthful group right there

in all honesty I think a healthy learning season is what this team needs, and that I project yet another lottery pick after next season.

the test will be honestly the season after if we still have Beal. If Wall can comeback and be healthy and productive with Beal and the young trio of Bryant, rui, and brown all producing and growing. Add whoever we pick in the lotto. That will be the defining season to decide if we don in fact blow it up or if we improved enough to be competitive. 

If Wall can comeback and be healthy and play near an all star level we will be ok but if not I fear the blow up coming

7 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

If Wall can comeback and be healthy and play near an all star level we will be ok but if not I fear the blow up coming

THIS is the, far and away, the biggest issue facing the Wiz.

It's a big "if."

And even if "if" came true, we'd still being paying a fringe all-star supermax money.

Rui Hachimura might be the right pick for the Wizards right now. He's the kind of guy who can probably get you points and minutes, and could develop an okay 3pt shot ... maybe learn to play a bit better defense.

However, he's not a guy you build around long term (or at least that seems to be his trajectory right now).

Which may be exactly what the Wizards need. If they can get something out of him for a few years when he's cheap, and then trade him in exchange for draft assets as they come out from under Wall's millstone of a contract, that might be all to the good.

If he develops, that's gravy. The reports on him are he's a high character kid and willing to learn. That might be what they need right now.