Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

15 hours ago, e16bball said:

Not a starter on a legit contender? Danny Green, Maurice Harkless, Nikola Mirotic, and the fossilized remains of Andrew Bogut all just started for teams in the Conference Finals. JaVale McGee, Tristan Thompson, Zaza Pachulia, JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, and Timofey Mozgov were all full-time starters at one point or another for the two teams that dominated the last half-decade of basketball. 

Those players are a pretty low bar to set for a #9 overall selection.  

15 hours ago, e16bball said:

I would agree that it’s hard to envision superstar or probably even All-Star upside with him, but I don’t think he’s got a low ceiling for a back-half lottery pick.

Cam Reddish, Sekou Doumbouya and Nassir Little were pretty much universally seen as higher ceiling prospects.  I get what you're saying about back-half lottery picks, but take a look at selections there the past 3 years:

9 - SF Kevin Knox

10 - SF Mikal Bridges

11 - PG Shai Gilgeous Alexander

12 - SF Miles Bridges

13 - SG Jerome Robinson

14 - SF Michael Porter Jr.

I would take all 6 of these players over Rui.  

9 - PG Dennis Smith Jr.

10 - C Zach Collins

11 - SG Malik Monk

12 - SG Luke Kennard 

13 - SG Donovan Mitchell

14 - C Bam Adebayo

This one is more of a mixed bag.  I would take DSJ, Monk, and definitely Mitchell over Rui.  I've never been a fan of Collins (funny enough also from Gonzaga), Luke Kennard is too limited physically, and Adebayo plays a dying position (undersized defensive Center that can't shoot).  

9 - C Jakob Poeltl

10 -- PF Thon Maker

11 - C Domantis Sabonis

12 - SF Taurean Prince

13 - C Georgious Papagiannis 

14 - SG Denzel Valentine

This was a weak draft, Sabonis is probably what we hope Rui becomes but Sabonis has better size.  Prince is solid, the rest havent' proven much.  

I think there's definitely some value to be had in the late lottery. 

I like the selection of Hachimura. Gives the wizards a new and young front court to develop and grow together with:

SF: Brown

PF: Hachimura 

C: Bryant (must be re-signed)

I hope they re-sign Sato too. If I were him I’d want a 2-year deal so that when Wall comes back he can leave the next year. Hopefully for him by then he will have proven he's a reliable starting PG and hopefully he takes and hits more 3-point shots this year. I'd really like to see Sato shoot it more from distance.

Gotta re-sign Chasson Randle to be Sato’s back up at PG and Jordan McRae to be Beal’s back up at SG. 

I hope they can re-sign Jabari Parker to be our 6th man and back up forward and he may even start over Hachimura at PF. I’d like the Wizards to re-sign Portis, but it depends on the cost of course.

I don't want Ariza or Jeff Green re-signed, I think both still end up in LA playing for the Lakers. I think the lakers re-sign Rondo to be PG, Ariza starts at SG w/ Lebron at SF, Kuzma at PF and AD at C.

Jeff Green will be their 6th man.

I'm not sure what happens with Dwight Howard, I could see the Wizards and him wanting to have his contract bought out so he can sign somewhere else like possibly the Lakers, Warriors or another playoff team that could use a vet center. 

With the Wizards going with hopefully and what should be a youth movement this year, I hope they find a way to dump/trade or buy out Dwight's  contract. I'd much rather see Bryant starting at C and playing 30 minutes a night than to see Dwight and Bryant splitting those 48 minutes. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I forgot about Scofield, he can be Troy Brown’s back up at SF. I love the Scofield pick! He has a lot of Draymond Green type qualities to him, solid rebounder, tough/hardnose defender and versatile scorer who can stretch the floor as a SF or stretch 4. Not overly special but definitely a glue guy which every good team has/needs as your 5th best starter or 6th/7th man.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/5-things-know-about-wizards-second-round-pick-admiral-schofield%3famp

1. A 6-6, 240-pound forward, Schofield played four years at Tennessee and was a big part of the Volunteers' renaissance under head coach Rick Barnes. He averaged 16.5 points and 6.1 rebounds as a senior.

2. Schofield can stretch the floor. He shot 38.7 percent from three for his career and raised that number every year in school. As a senior, he topped out at 41.8 percent from long range on 4.8 attempts. He shot both at a high percentage and with volume, good signs that will translate to the next level. 

3. He is a big, physical forward known for his toughness and defense. He will add an edge to the defensive end, which the Wizards have lacked in recent years. He's built like an NFL outside linebacker, sort of like Marcus Smart or Jae Crowder.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Admiral Schofield might be the long term starter at SF before Brown is. 

Eh, not so sure. Brown has more offensive skills. Brown is a great ball handler and playmaker for his size but, Brown has to continue to work on his 3-point shot.

Scofield is bigger, a better rebounder and defender though. It remains to be seen if Scofield can regularly knock down the 3-point shot from NBA distance or how much of a playmaker he can be in the NBA.

I guess it's totally plausible that Scofield becomes a better long term option but if Brown just improves one area of his game - 3 pt shooting - he's going to be a good SF and I think eventually better than the guy he replaced - Otto Porter - bc Brown has more one on one skills to get off his own shot, is a better ball handler and playmaker than Otto was/is.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Admiral Schofield might be the long term starter at SF before Brown is. 

I think Brown ends up Beal's backup at the 2.  They need to sign a starting SF for this year I don't think they have one on the roster right now.  

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think Brown ends up Beal's backup at the 2.  They need to sign a starting SF for this year I don't think they have one on the roster right now.  

I can see that. Ariza will probably go to a contender, but he'd be cheaper this time around. Bring back Green even. DeMarre Carroll? Hollis-J? 

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They don't need to sign anyone if significance to any position on the team. Brown is and will be there starting SF for at least this year and probably for the foreseeable future. He has a higher IQ than Oubre did and more offensive playmaking ability than both Oubre and Porter had. I don't want to see any possibility where he's not the starting SF this year for the Wizards unless like Mike said before, Scofield beats him out.

Also, the Wizards need to be looking forward to getting a higher pick in the lottery than they even got this year and to develop some of this young talent around Beal - and hopefully Wall - for when he returns in at the end of next season or for the 2020-2021 season.

Edited by turtle28

34 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I can see that. Ariza will probably go to a contender, but he'd be cheaper this time around. Bring back Green even. DeMarre Carroll? Hollis-J? 

I think Green ends up in LA, and probably Ariza too to help fill out the roster around Lebron. Ariza could be the starting SG for the Lakers and guard the opposing teams best wing player each night as Lebron plays SF takes the lesser assignment on defense, Kuzma starts at PF and AD at center.

The Lakers could re-sign Rondo at PG or sign Rubio to be their starting PG. I think they'd have enough $ to sign Rubio, but not a 3rd max player player.

What's the point is signing those SF’s for the Wizards?

It just makes the team a few games better this year - which they don't need bc they need the highest draft pick possible in 2020 - and it will stunt the development of Brown and Scofield. 

I'm looking forward to Brown, Hachimura and Scofield play in the Summer League! That should be good/fun.

There's just no point to get a few more wins and then a worse shot at one the top lottery spots in the 2020 draft IMO.

They need to just roll with the young guys and have them develop at every position we can. Having Brown as a back up is a waste. We don't need to make the same mistake we made last year when they traded Oubre for Ariza and traded for Dekker and then Brown didn't get to play at all until the last month of the season.

Brown needs to play and play a lot. He should be getting 30 min a game as our starting SF and developing.

I'd be more for re-signing Dekker again to be a back up SF/PF along with Jabari Parker and see Brown and Scofield develop at SF than to sign any vet who will come in and could start over Brown and just stunt Brown’s growth like what happened with Ariza last year.

Edited by turtle28

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What's the point is signing those guys?

Just to get a few more wins and then a worse shot at one the top lottery spots in the 2020 draft?

They need to just roll with the young guys and have them develop at every position we can. Having Brown as a back up is a waste. We don't need to make the same mistake we made last year when they Oubre for Ariza and traded for Dekker and then Brown didn't get to play at all until the last month of the season.

Brown needs to play and play a lot. He should be getting 30 min a game as our starting SF and developing.

I'd be more for re-signing Dekker again to be a back up SF/PF along with Jabari Parker and see Brown and Scofield develop than to sign any vet who will come in and could start over Brown and just stunt Brown’s growth like what happened with Ariza last year.

Flip them at deadline for a 2nd rounder since we don't have any. Mentor the young guys. Plenty of reasons to explore signing them. A lot of them being that we have like 5 players. 

• Like 1

Was just looking at past drafts and how much better we could have been had I made the picks lol.

2010: I would have taken Wall
2011: I wanted Klay Thompson bad. Wanted to "settle" for Kawhi or Faried if he wasn't there. 
2012: Loved Beal and the pick. Was so happy when Hornets took MKG. Also wanted Thomas Robinson lol.
2013: Didn't want Porter. He was better than I expected. I wanted Noel. 
2014: NA
2015: Wanted Bobby Portis over Oubre.
2016: NA
2017: NA
2018: Was hoping Porter fell. When he didn't I wanted Wagner.

Wall
Beal
Klay
Portis
Noel, Wagner

Shibby.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If Ariza starts and plays half the game, there's still 24 more minutes for Brown. 

They should sign Bojan Bogdanovic.  Never should of let him leave in the first place.  He looked legit for the Pacers last year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If Ariza starts and plays half the game, there's still 24 more minutes for Brown. 

It's just a waste IMO. Let Brown start, play 30 min and then have Scofield/Dekker or someone cheap back up Brown.

We re-sign Ariza and/or Jeff Green and that will lead to more wins, even if it's over the course of half a season of we traded them at the trade deadline.

IMO this seasons goal should be to let the young players we have start - where possible, obviously not over Beal - and to then lose as much as possible so we Csn get one of the top lottery spots.

Once I read that article today that Quinn Cook is available too as a FA, I want the Wizards to sign him to be our starting PG over Sato.

Re-sign Bryant, Parker & Portis (if not too expensive), Dekker, Chasson Randle & Jordan McRae.

Buy out Dwight Howard or trade him to someone for a young player like Wagner from the Lakers.

I want then bench this year to be:

PG: Randle

SG: McRae

SF: Scofield/Dekker

PF: Parker/Portis behind Hachimura 

C: Portis/Mahinmi behind Bryant

In 2020-21 we’ll have Mahinmi off for books to sign a good FA or 2 to be with Wall when he returns and we’ll hopefully have a top 5 draft pick.