Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They should sign Bojan Bogdanovic.  Never should of let him leave in the first place.  He looked legit for the Pacers last year. 

In retrospect they should have signed Bogdanovic to a two-year $20 million contract - like the Pacers did - after we traded for him and done a sign and trade with Porter that offseason.

I was wrong there, I wanted to re-sign Porter bc I thought he'd develop into near a 20-point scorer for us like Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison did last decade, but sadly, he didn't.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Was just looking at past drafts and how much better we could have been had I made the picks lol.

2010: I would have taken Wall
2011: I wanted Klay Thompson bad. Wanted to "settle" for Kawhi or Faried if he wasn't there. 
2012: Loved Beal and the pick. Was so happy when Hornets took MKG. Also wanted Thomas Robinson lol.
2013: Didn't want Porter. He was better than I expected. I wanted Noel. 
2014: NA
2015: Wanted Bobby Portis over Oubre.
2016: NA
2017: NA
2018: Was hoping Porter fell. When he didn't I wanted Wagner.

Wall
Beal
Klay
Portis
Noel, Wagner

Shibby.

Heck I'll even go back to 2009:

I didn't want to trade for Miller & Foye, definitely wanted DeRozan.

2010: definitely Wall

2011: Kawhai Leonard, Klay Thompson or one of the Morris twins.

How sick would it be to have DeRozan/Klay at SG/SF or Klay/Beal w/ Klay at SF? Or Wall, Beal and DeRozan/Kawhi or Thompson at SF?

That’d be amazing shooting and offensive playmaking along with Leonard or Thompson's lock down defensive on the opposing teams best wing offensive player!

2012: I wasn't sold on Beal at first but became sold on him by S. Taylor, who sadly no longer posts here for some reason. I actually wanted Jeremy Lamb more than Beal and was dead wrong!

2013: I wanted Porter but if we had already drafted DeRozan, Clay or Kawhai, I wouldn't have wanted him. I was not a fan of taking Noel so high coming off of the ACL & he had no offensive game, and still doesn't 6 years later!

I guess I would have taken Zeller, Len or Stephen Adams over Noel.

2015: Agreed w/ Mike, I wanted Bobby Portis

2018: I liked the Brown pick, but I wanted Robert Williams or Wagner too.

PG: Wall

SG: Beal

SF: DeRozan

PF: Marcus Morris

C: Zeller

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Heck I'll even go back to 2009:

I didn't want to trade for Miller & Foye, definitely wanted DeRozan.

2010: definitely Wall

2011: Kawhai Leonard, Klay Thompson or one of the Morris twins.

How sick would it be to have DeRozan/Klay at SG/SF or Klay/Beal w/ Beal at SF? Or Wall, Beal and DeRozan/Kawhi or Thompson at SF?

That’d be amazing shooting and offensive playmaking along with Leonard or Thompson's lock down defensive on the opposing teams best wing offensive player!

2012: I wasn't sold on Beal at first but became sold on him by S. Taylor, who sadly no longer posts here for some reason. I actually wanted Jeremy Lamb more than Beal and was dead wrong!

2013: I wanted Porter but if we had already drafted DeRozan, Clay or Kawhai, I wouldn't have wanted him. I was not a fan of taking Noel so high coming off of the ACL & he had no offensive game, and still doesn't 6 years later!

I guess I would have taken Zeller, Len or Stephen Adams over Noel.

2015: Agreed w/ Mike, I wanted Bobby Portis

2018: I liked the Brown pick, but I wanted Robert Williams or Wagner too.

PG: Wall

SG: Beal

SF: DeRozan

PF: Marcus Morris

C: Zeller

Didn't like the trade either in '09. I figured the Wall 2010 year jumpstarted everything, but in '09 I was a Brandon Jennings guy lol

• Like 1

I'm bored, so here's my hopeful roster & Stats for the Wizards in 2019-20:

PG: Quinn Cook - 14 pts, 4 rebs, 6 asts 

Chasson Randle - 6 pts, 2 rebs, 3 asts

SG: Bradley Beal - 27 pts, 6 rebs, 6 asts

Jordan McRae: 6 pts, 2 rebs, 2 asts

SF: Troy Brown, JR - 14 pts, 6 rebs, 4 asts

Admiral Schofield - 8 pts, 4 rebs, 1 ast

PF: Jabari Parker - 15 pts, 7 rebs, 3 asts

Rui Hachimura - 9 pts, 5 rebs, 1 ast

Same Dekker - 6 pts, 4 rebs, 1 ast

C: Thomas Bryant - 15 pts, 10 rebs, 2 asts, 1.5 Blocks

Montez Wagner from trading Dwight Howard to the Lakers - 7 pts, 4 rebs, 1 ast

Ian Mahinmi - 5 pts, 4 rebs

Edited by turtle28

Washington Wizards extend qualifying offers to Portis, Bryant and Satoransky, not Dekker

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/washington-wizards-extend-qualifying-offers-portis-bryant-and-satoransky-not-dekker

After he was picked up by the Wizards off the waiver wires from the Lakers, Bryant worked his way into the Washington lineup by late November. 

With the Wizards he averaged 6.3 rebounds and 10.5 points while he shot a league-high 68.5% on two-pointers. Bryant also shot 33.3% in the three-point range and 46.6% from three-to-10 feet. 

Last season with the Wizards, Portis shot 39.3% and averaged 14.2 points and 8.1 rebounds per game. Like Bryant, Portis also expressed that he enjoyed playing in Washington, but also said he wanted to make more money. For that article, click here

17 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

heyyyyyyy @turtle28

Not sure if I believe Woj anymore, we were supposed to be after Masai Ujiri but his sources has the news totally wrong!

Of course, I do love getting Wagner. He needs to get stronger but I think he's a good back up stretch 4/5 off the bench and will continue to develop as one.

Edited by turtle28

On 6/24/2019 at 4:33 PM, MKnight82 said:

Those players are a pretty low bar to set for a #9 overall selection.  

Cam Reddish, Sekou Doumbouya and Nassir Little were pretty much universally seen as higher ceiling prospects.  I get what you're saying about back-half lottery picks, but take a look at selections there the past 3 years:

I think there's definitely some value to be had in the late lottery. 

I agree there were higher upside picks there.

Were it me, I likely would have swung for the fences with Doumbouya on the idea that whether he booms or he busts, either way it could be a good thing for the Wizards long-term (in that they may find themselves needing to detonate it and hit rock bottom at some point in the next 3-4 years). Reddish and Little, I guess they have more upside? They’re younger and they had great recruiting pedigree — but they both kinda stunk in college. You’d have to hope that they’re totally different players in the NBA than they were at Duke and UNC, because they were not particularly useful to their college teams. Especially Reddish, although at least he was able to get on the floor in a major role.

I also agree that I would have taken most of the guys from the late lottery in 2018 over Hachimura (although not Robinson and possibly not Michael Porter because of the severe injury issues). But I’m not sure how valuable that information is, because I would have taken all those guys over Reddish and Cam Johnson and PJ Washington and Tyler Herro and Romeo Langford as well. It just wasn’t a deep draft this year — or, maybe more accurately, the 3rd tier that usually encompasses the late lottery wasn’t very strong.

The statistical models all punish Hachimura harshly for being older than the average draftee. Which, nine times out of ten, is entirely fair. Older guys tend to have more polish and less remaining projection, so they generally have a lower ceiling. But this guy is a late-comer to the game, and the areas where he struggles (defensive awareness, passing, confidence to let the 3-ball fly) are aspects of the game where one improves with time. I think there’s still upside there to be tapped, and he’ll certainly get plenty of court time and experience with the current roster.  

• Like 1

I think most fans are pretty familiar with Moe Wagner, but I find these other two guys interesting as well. I knew virtually nothing about either one until I saw the trade announcement, but both really have some intriguing characteristics. 

Isaac Bonga is a 6’9 point guard. Yes, you read that correctly. He’s extremely young and the knock has always been that he can’t shoot, but evidently he made a lot of progress in the G League last season. The pre-draft reports rave about his passing and instincts, so there’s a lot to like there. Who knows where he’ll end up, but he could be of value if the jumper keeps coming along (34.4 3pt% and 81.6 FT% in the G League last year). 

Jemerrio Jones is another really interesting case. In looking at his numbers from his rookie season, the one thing that jumped out at me was 8.2 rebounds per game. From a 6’5 SF coming off the bench. Granted, it was only six games — but in those 6 games, he had 15+ rebounds twice. Plus another 10 rebound game.  There were only 47 guys in the league last year with multiple 15-rebound games, and every one of them played a hell of a lot more than 6 games. 

Take a look at this article about Jones as a draft prospect. It’s really remarkable — the guy rebounded amazingly in college as well. To the point that the author compared him to legendary college rebounder Paul Millsap, or perhaps PJ Tucker given that Jones is a good deal smaller than Millsap. His assist numbers were also very strong, leading the author to mention names like Draymond Green when it came to comparing the rebounding/passing abilities of Jemerrio Jones. 

I have no idea if any of these guys turn into anything. But I really like the move, and the idea behind it. Let’s take on a couple small salaries, into our trade exception, and carry some lottery tickets on the roster for the next couple seasons. And get an additional draft asset coming to us for our trouble. The only thing I don’t like is that we willfully put Lebron in position to get another damn max player...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not sure if I believe Woj anymore, we were supposed to be after Masai Ujiri but his sources has the news totally wrong!

Of course, I do love getting Wagner. He needs to get stronger but I think he's a good back up stretch 4/5 off the bench and will continue to develop as one.

If there's anyone I believe, it's a Wojbomb. Also, we denied being linked to Ujiri because he said "no" to us, not because Woj was wrong. Notice how we didn't deny it the first two weeks it was a rumor?

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 3:21 PM, e16bball said:

I think most fans are pretty familiar with Moe Wagner, but I find these other two guys interesting as well. I knew virtually nothing about either one until I saw the trade announcement, but both really have some intriguing characteristics. 

Isaac Bonga is a 6’9 point guard. Yes, you read that correctly. He’s extremely young and the knock has always been that he can’t shoot, but evidently he made a lot of progress in the G League last season. The pre-draft reports rave about his passing and instincts, so there’s a lot to like there. Who knows where he’ll end up, but he could be of value if the jumper keeps coming along (34.4 3pt% and 81.6 FT% in the G League last year). 

Jemerrio Jones is another really interesting case. In looking at his numbers from his rookie season, the one thing that jumped out at me was 8.2 rebounds per game. From a 6’5 SF coming off the bench. Granted, it was only six games — but in those 6 games, he had 15+ rebounds twice. Plus another 10 rebound game.  There were only 47 guys in the league last year with multiple 15-rebound games, and every one of them played a hell of a lot more than 6 games. 

Take a look at this article about Jones as a draft prospect. It’s really remarkable — the guy rebounded amazingly in college as well. To the point that the author compared him to legendary college rebounder Paul Millsap, or perhaps PJ Tucker given that Jones is a good deal smaller than Millsap. His assist numbers were also very strong, leading the author to mention names like Draymond Green when it came to comparing the rebounding/passing abilities of Jemerrio Jones. 

I have no idea if any of these guys turn into anything. But I really like the move, and the idea behind it. Let’s take on a couple small salaries, into our trade exception, and carry some lottery tickets on the roster for the next couple seasons. And get an additional draft asset coming to us for our trouble. The only thing I don’t like is that we willfully put Lebron in position to get another damn max player...

Sounds like Jones just needs to work on his outside shot and his shot off the bounce and if he can do that, he going to be a solid back up SG & SF.

Edited by turtle28