Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

You're forgetting that:

A) the Knicks are stupid.

B) the Knicks promised their fans a "star" player this offseason and whiffed on all of them.  

Its worth a phone call.

Like I said, if you're willing to eat the 15% kicker and the Knicks are willing to do it (I cannot deny the stupidity poisoning levels are high in MSG), go for it.

I just don't think they're willing to do what it would take (plus eating the kicker).

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know if Howard is going to be healthy or if it’s possible to trade him, but my point for a page and a half is they should try. It’s kind of crazy to me you’re  spending so much time arguing over just an idea I had in what they should do with Howard “if they can,” especially since 5 posts later you’re agreeing with me that they should trade him if they can and, that’s all I’m saying too... 

Trading him is different from buying him out.

Buying him out just means paying him money and getting nothing in return other than freeing up his roster spot. Trading him means getting some sort of asset back in return.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think they signed Ish Smith bc they need  PG who could start since they lost out on Sato. 

Then you wait and don't go scrambling for a meh point guard at 2y/$12M right off the bat.

Granted it's not as horrible as giving Mahimni 4y/$64M but it's still a bad idea.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2843759-bradley-beal-trade-rumors-heat-have-engaged-wizards-in-talks 

The Miami Heat are reportedly "engaged" in trade talks with the Washington Wizards to potentially acquire Bradley Beal, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

The Wizards have told Beal that they won't trade him, but Miami "loves" the guard and could attempt to figure out other options, including taking on John Wall's contract.

giphy.gif

35 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2843759-bradley-beal-trade-rumors-heat-have-engaged-wizards-in-talks 

The Miami Heat are reportedly "engaged" in trade talks with the Washington Wizards to potentially acquire Bradley Beal, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

The Wizards have told Beal that they won't trade him, but Miami "loves" the guard and could attempt to figure out other options, including taking on John Wall's contract.

giphy.gif

Aren't they having cap issues anyway just on the Butler deal? I don't understand how this could happen. Looking for another source on it. 

Tweet seems to be way more speculative on the Wall front.

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Aren't they having cap issues anyway just on the Butler deal? I don't understand how this could happen. Looking for another source on it. 

Tweet seems to be way more speculative on the Wall front.

I know its unlikely.  Honestly I don't really care I'm not a Wizards fan just want to see themselves get out of the John Wall mess.  

Like I said, if you can pull it off, you do it just to get out from under the millstone of Wall's contract. Even if it means shipping Beal out as well.

I'm also confused by the Trailblazers giving Lilliard a super-max.

Basically, the super-max should be reserved for those players that even a casual fan knows about. If the casual fan knows who you are talking about by just one name (Harden, LeBron, Westbrook) or their initials (MJ, KD, CP3), then they are someone who could conceivably worth giving a super-max contract to. Call this small subset of players as "super-max eligible." Giannis might have finally broken into this category (and not a moment too soon, from his bank account's perspective).

Note that being "super-max eligible" does not make someone as deserving of a super-max contract. For instance, consider Carmelo Anthony. He would have met the criteria (Melo). From a skills perspective, he probably would have deserved it. From a locker room perspective, oh hell no.

In any event, Damian Lilliard (like John Wall before him) is not in this category of player. This is not to say he's a bad player; far from it. He's just not worth the 40% of salary cap tied up in his contract.

21 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I know its unlikely.  Honestly I don't really care I'm not a Wizards fan just want to see themselves get out of the John Wall mess.  

So why comment? Just to troll Wizards fans like Woz?

Edited by turtle28

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

Like I said, if you can pull it off, you do it just to get out from under the millstone of Wall's contract. Even if it means shipping Beal out as well.

Basically, the super-max should be reserved for those players that even a casual fan knows about. If the casual fan knows who you are talking about by just one name (Harden, LeBron, Westbrook) or their initials (MJ, KD, CP3), then they are someone who could conceivably worth giving a super-max contract to. Call this small subset of players as "super-max eligible." Giannis might have finally broken into this category (and not a moment too soon, from his bank account's perspective).

Note that being "super-max eligible" does not make someone as deserving of a super-max contract. For instance, consider Carmelo Anthony. He would have met the criteria (Melo). From a skills perspective, he probably would have deserved it. From a locker room perspective, oh hell no.

In any event, Damian Lilliard (like John Wall before him) is not in this category of player. This is not to say he's a bad player; far from it. He's just not worth the 40% of salary cap tied up in his contract.

If your a Fan of the NBA and don't know who Lilliard is something is wrong with you. Top Pgs in the league no order Kyrie, Steph, Wall, Lillard, Paul, Simmons, Westbrook. Those that don't know him probaly only cheer for home teams or the Most Popular guys. Also when Wall is healthy Wall is top 5 PG and All-star.

Edited by Skins212689

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

I mean he was just 2nd team All NBA and was the best player on a team in the Western Conference Finals.  He's been first team all nba in the past.  Its not like he's one of these guys who gets a fringe 3rd team all nba once and puts up bulk stats on a garbage team.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

If your a Fan of the NBA and don't know who Lilliard is something is wrong with you. Top Pgs in the league no order Kyrie, Steph, Wall, Lillard, Paul, Simmons, Westbrook. Those that don't know him probaly only cheer for home teams or the Most Popular guys. Also when Wall is healthy Wall is top 5 PG and All-star.

Again "casual fan."

Also, again Lilliard is a great player. Just don't think he's what I would consider super-max worthy. Neither is Wall.