Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I have realistic expectations for the season. I think the Wizards are going to struggle to get 30 wins. I'm just pointing out that I'm excited about the young guys they've acquired - especially this offseason - and to see Brown play a lot. I'm hopeful some of them develop into at least good bench players for us. I like watching young guys play and develop when I know the DC teams aren't going to be a playoff team.

I also think around 30 wins but..... if for some reason IT and Miles can get back to the way they played in their best season then the wizards could actually sneak into the playoffs IMO

IT was a max contract guy before the hip injury

Miles killed us in the playoffs

Brown will only get better

Rui will be a solid bench player and develop

Bertrans drains 3s with ease

thomas Bryant will only improve.

brad is Brad, he’s gonna ball.

youngsters all over the place for depth

like I said I imagine a 30 some win team but if players can return to form this can be a team that sneaks into playoffs

On 7/5/2019 at 8:56 PM, turtle28 said:

Oh Dr. @Woz...

On 7/1/2019 at 12:56 PM, Woz said:

Trading him is different from buying him out.

Buying him out just means paying him money and getting nothing in return other than freeing up his roster spot. Trading him means getting some sort of asset back in return.

Good for the Wizards.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:00 PM, turtle28 said:

I don’t know. I’m still in the Beal camp. He’s taken over as the true centerpiece of the Wizards in my eyes over the last year bc of the Wall injury. I’d like to keep Beal and see if we can build around him with these young guys and other to come in the next few drafts.

He's just one guy. If this offseason has shown anything, it's that teams believe that you cannot win with just one guy.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:32 PM, e16bball said:

With Leonard gone from Toronto, I wonder if they’ll revisit the Ujiri conversations now. 

He and Kawhi evidently had a great relationship, and they would have had a shot at the repeat if Kawhi had stuck around. Now that he’s moved on, though, one would have to think that job has lost a lot of its luster. May be time for Ujiri to pivot and move on to his next step...

The problem for Ujiri is that the value of the compensation package dropped in the meantime.

On 7/6/2019 at 11:29 PM, MKnight82 said:

The Thunder are being forced to let another star player leave likely due to financial restraints (before Harden, now George).  Their owner refuses to pay the luxury tax.  I wonder if Sam Presti has gotten sick of that and could be lured away.  

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27147315/thunder-deal-grant-nuggets-pick

Presti seems to still be making deals though. I wonder if the plan is to ride out the next couple of years, build up a strong foundation of talent, and become competitive just as the "win now" teams are falling apart due to the contracts they just handed out and/or the contracts expire.

Just now, lavar703 said:

And would you look at that, the wizards let Jabari Parker walk. 2 years 13M and they should’ve matched it. I like what they’re doing under Sheppard but they should’ve brought him back at that price. 

Could they have fit him under the cap with one of the various exemptions, even at that price? (honestly asking, because I have no idea how the hell the NBA does their cap with all the rights and exemptions)

16 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I also think around 30 wins but..... if for some reason IT and Miles can get back to the way they played in their best season then the wizards could actually sneak into the playoffs IMO

IT was a max contract guy before the hip injury

Miles killed us in the playoffs

Brown will only get better

Rui will be a solid bench player and develop

Bertrans drains 3s with ease

thomas Bryant will only improve.

brad is Brad, he’s gonna ball.

youngsters all over the place for depth

like I said I imagine a 30 some win team but if players can return to form this can be a team that sneaks into playoffs

Honestly, I’d hate for the Wizards to make the playoffs this upcoming season. I want another lottery pick, and preferably a top 5 pick so we can start building more for the future. I don't want the team stuck in an 09-10 situation again where they're just awful and our best players are mid to late round 1st round picks.

Of course, us struggling those few years did lead to Wall and Beal, but if rather get a 2nd top 10 talent in next years draft that can develop alongside/behind Wall/Beal and these other young guys we have like Brown and Bryant.

57 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And would you look at that, the wizards let Jabari Parker walk. 2 years 13M and they should’ve matched it. I like what they’re doing under Sheppard but they should’ve brought him back at that price. 

Honestly he would have just taken minutes from Rui.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woz said:

He's just one guy. If this offseason has shown anything, it's that teams believe that you cannot win with just one guy.

Yes, but you need multiple all-stars to even be considered as a top 5 team in either conference. The Wizards have that with Beal and when Wall returns.

Giving that up for a bunch of draft picks which could amount to nothing and a guy coming off an okay rookie season and an average forward doesn't make much sense to me.

I like Beal, I love watching him play and I want to see the team rebuilt with youth around him and Wall and most particularly Beal like they are doing this offseason.   

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, but you need multiple all-stars to even be considered as a top 5 team in either conference. The Wizards have that with Beal and when Wall returns.

No, they have one All Star and a guy who has to show that he can back to playing basketball at a high level (while having an absolutely crippling contract).

Even if Wall does return to his former level, that isn't until late 2019-2020 season and more likely the 2020-2021 season.

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Giving that up for a bunch of draft picks which could amount to nothing and a guy coming off an okay rookie season and an average forward doesn't make much sense to me.

Clears a ton of cap space so the Wizards could actually be a factor in salary trade dumps in February.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I like Beal, I love watching him play and I want to see the team rebuilt with youth around him and Wall and most particularly Beal like they are doing this offseason.

okay then ... *shrugs*

Most of the moves I think have been quite shrewd. This one just allows them to tread water at best and waste a bunch of cap space for years in exchange for no playoff appearances at worst.

Also, @turtle28

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27143232/winners-losers-wildest-nba-week-ever

General loser-ish-ness: Washington Wizards

Just over two calendar years ago, the Washington Wizards were one Kelly Olynykoutburst from the Eastern Conference finals. Now they are basically tanking, though they have Beal, which amounts to holding Beal hostage. Players have only so many NBA minutes in them. It is such a shame that Beal -- who led the league in minutes last season -- might have to waste 3,000 more carrying this sorry roster.

In mid-December, Washington traded a young player (Oubre) for an adult in the room (Trevor Ariza) to save their unraveling season. Six weeks later, the Wizards gave up by dealing Porter.

Their payroll is so bloated, they had to pass on re-signing potentially useful players -- Portis and Satoransky -- in favor of cheaper deals to Thomas Bryant (promising!), Ish Smith and Isaiah Thomas.

They didn't have the flexibility to hunt blue-chip future picks in salary dumps the way Memphis and Atlanta did. Instead, they gathered fringe prospects and second-round picks in junior versions of those deals. That is something -- a reversal of past pick hemorrhaging, assuming ownership does not mandate the sale of all those second-rounders.

So, there's a tad bit of optimism at the tail end.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Also, @turtle28

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27143232/winners-losers-wildest-nba-week-ever

So, there's a tad bit of optimism at the tail end.

Been over this countless times.

1. Signing Sato & Portis to those contracts they were offered didn't make sense.

2. I didn't like trading Oubre and it looks bad now, but at the time Wall wasn't shut down and wasn't out for next season. Also, it was clear they weren't going to be able to re-sign Oubre bc they had 3 max players at the time.

3. They had to move one of their big 3 to make cap room for hopefully changing the team in the future that could be better than it was even a few years ago. Otto made the most sense to move.