Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

I'm curious what the people that want to retain Beal and Wall think the plan for contention is?  They will never have enough room for a 3rd max slot with them on the roster, so free agency is not going to bring another star player.  Filling out role players via the draft is never going to win them anything of note.  The Wall/Beal combo has never won 50 games in a regular season.  The Wall/Beal combo have never made it past the semi-finals in the playoffs.  And those accomplishments were made with Otto Porter on the roster, and before John Wall tore his achilles, and before John Wall's supermax kicked in.  

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Charlotte won more games than the Wizards last year.

John Walls contract is going to seriously impact their ability to add talent. 

Who has been to playoffs more with their team? Beal with the Wizards! SMH! We disagree clearly. Have a good one MKnight ✌

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Who has been to playoffs more with their team? Beal with the Wizards! SMH! We disagree clearly. Have a good one MKnight ✌

50% of the teams in the NBA make the playoffs.  Making the playoffs is not an accomplishment.  

1 hour ago, Woz said:

For the record, four for Beal, two for Kemba.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

For the record, four for Beal, two for Kemba.

Correct and Beal with the Wizards has made it futher in the playoffs than Kemba did with the Hornets! Case closed. I'm done with this discussion with those who disagree with my stance on this situation.

Edited by Skins212689

1 hour ago, Woz said:

No. Beal is the present.

That's the problem. He's on a roster that has next to no chance of being competitive in the next two to three years. As has been stated multiple times already, Wall's super max contract (combined with Beal's max deal) will hinder Washington's ability to sign any free agent. There's no way to acquire players to "[j]ust build around him." So, the only way they can get better is through the draft.

Problem is, to do that, they effectively have to lose. A lot.

Beal's talent prevents them from doing that.

To piggyback, so we have Beal for at least two more years correct? One is a wasted year. So now we're down to one. And then what? What if he doesn't resign? What if we go the Kemba/Hornets route and get nothing?

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Correct and Beal with the Wizards has made it futher in the playoffs than Kemba did with the Hornets! Case closed. I'm done with this discussion with those who disagree with me stance on this situation.

I'm sorry but never even getting to a conference finals much less winning an NBA is not an accomplishment, its a failure.  I'm not willing to settle for mediocrity.  

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

To piggyback, so we have Beal for at least two more years correct? One is a wasted year. So now we're down to one. And then what? What if he doesn't resign? What if we go the Kemba/Hornets route and get nothing?

Exactly.  I mean its not a conversation about whether they will trade Beal its when.  They have to trade him.  

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Exactly.  I mean its not a conversation about whether they will trade Beal its when.  They have to trade him.  

And what they get in return, which will be affected by when.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm sorry but never even getting to a conference finals much less winning an NBA is not an accomplishment, its a failure.  I'm not willing to settle for mediocrity.  

Let's see gow long it takes OKC to get back to the playoffs after losing KD, Harden, Reggie Jackson, Westbrook, Ibaka, George, and Westbrook over the years. This is not the NFL, top picks in the NBA aren't guaranteed to turn into Stars or Superstars like in the NFL. 

Prime example the Charlotte Hornets picks of Marvin Harrison, Malick Monk, Micheal Kidd-Gilchrist, Adam Morrison,  D.J. Ausgustin, Cody Zeller. None are Allstars or Superstars but were top 15 picks. 

Edited by Skins212689

15 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Let's see gow long it takes OKC to get back to the playoffs after losing KD, Harden, Reggie Jackson, Westbrook, Ibaka, George, and Westbrook over the years.

It could easily blow up in their face.

As you said:

15 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Prime example the Charlotte Hornets picks of Marvin Harrison, Malick Monk, Micheal Kidd-Gilchrist, Adam Morrison,  D.J. Ausgustin, Cody Zeller. None are Allstars or Superstars but were top 15 picks. 

No guarantee that you'll be able to evaluate talent properly or that they'll progress like you expect (injuries, playing time, coaching changes, scheme changes, etc.).

Of course, given that the Wizards have nearly zero paths to the East Conference Finals (much less NBA Finals) no matter how they roll with Beal and Wall, maybe building for the future isn't the worst idea? At least they have a plan and if OKC's front office executes reasonably, they'll be competitive much sooner than Washington will be.

If you're happy with Washington at 40-something wins and a second round ceiling at their absolute best, more power to you. I'm not even really a fan of basketball, but I would think having an actual shot at a championship would be the aspiration and not the mire of mediocrity they find themselves in.

Like I said, the window to make the big sweeping change has probably closed. Now you either hope that Beal signs that extension (and doesn't get hurt due to excessive minutes) or that there's some seriously needy team at the trade deadline.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Woz said:

It could easily blow up in their face.

As you said:

No guarantee that you'll be able to evaluate talent properly or that they'll progress like you expect (injuries, playing time, coaching changes, scheme changes, etc.).

Of course, given that the Wizards have nearly zero paths to the East Conference Finals (much less NBA Finals) no matter how they roll with Beal and Wall, maybe building for the future isn't the worst idea? At least they have a plan and if OKC's front office executes reasonably, they'll be competitive much sooner than Washington will be.

If you're happy with Washington at 40-something wins and a second round ceiling at their absolute best, more power to you. I'm not even really a fan of basketball, but I would think having an actual shot at a championship would be the aspiration and not the mire of mediocrity they find themselves in.

Like I said, the window to make the big sweeping change has probably closed. Now you either hope that Beal signs that extension (and doesn't get hurt due to excessive minutes) or that there's some seriously needy team at the trade deadline.

Dude I'm happy the Wizards have made the playoffs at least 6 times in the last 10 years. Same can't be said for the Skins or the Hornets. IMO to keep that going you need to keep Beal and Wall not trade them for unproven draft picks unless its guranteed your getting a KD, Kobe, MJ, or Lebron James.

37 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Dude I'm happy the Wizards have made the playoffs at least 6 times in the last 10 years. Same can't be said for the Skins or the Hornets. IMO to keep that going you need to keep Beal and Wall not trade them for unproven draft picks unless its guranteed your getting a KD, Kobe, MJ, or Lebron James.

That’s sad.