Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Agreed. I would have taken the under. But like I said, these developments aren't overly shocking or anything based on how bad the East is overall.

Personally I don't know why that matters. I don't know why it's not shocking the team has already won 21 games. The roster looked horrible before the season and on paper still does.  The roster still doesn't look great and their record isn’t great but not horrible either. 

When you say, ”... These developments aren't overly shocking or anything based on how bad the East is overall.” You’re diminishing how well these young players, Beal, Ish and Bertans on most nights have played. Just about every player on this team has exceeded my expectations - except for Troy Brown and even he's had a handful of games in the high teens/20’s too - particularly on the offensive end.

At one point they were the best/most efficient offensive team in the league and if they aren't anymore, they're still very high in that category. That hasn't happened for the Wizards/Bullets maybe ever, and definitely not since the 70s, if even then.

How is that not shocking when you look at their roster?

The team/players can't control that the Eastern Conference isn't that great this year. For example, if we went to finals would we say, ”yeah, but the east sucked, that's the only reason we got there!”

No, I think we'd be ecstatic the Wizards got that far. All I'm saying is they've played better - and a hell of a lot better on offense than I expected - and I don't think anyone can deny that being true.

Edited by turtle28

Beal has 27 points (6-8 from 3) in the first half tonight! He had 22 in the first quarter!

Wizards win their 2nd in a row 124-110:

Beal:  34 pts (7-9 from 3), 8 assists 

Bertans: 29 pts (8-10 from 3)

Rui: 15 pts, 8 rebs

Bryant: 12 pts

I wonder what the Wizards are going to do next year in free agency? 

I think Bertans will get re-signed by the Wizards to like a 4 year $50 million deal. 

I don't think they have the cap room to sign anyone else.

So, what's their roster going to look like next year?

PG: Wall: 17 ppg, 11 assists, 4 rebs

Napier: 9 ppg, 3 assists, 2 rebs

I. Smith: 6 ppg, 3 assists, 2 rebs

SG: Beal: 27 ppg, 5 rebs, 5 asts

J. Robinson: 7 pts, 3 rebs, 2 assists

Matthews: 4 pts

SF: T.Brown: 13 pts, 6 rebs, 4 asts

Schofield: 8 pts, 4 rebs

Bonga

PF: Rui: 16 pts, 7 rebs, 2 asts

Bertans: 15 pts, 5 rebs, 2 asts

Wagner: 8 pts, 4 rebs

C: Bryant: 13 pts, 8 rebs, 2 asts

Vernon Carey (1st rnd pick): 10 pts, 5 rebs

Pasecnicks: 3 pts, 2 rebs

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

GREAT scorer.

Dead last in Defensive Real +/-.

And it's not even close...

1.jpg

Yes, he's been awful on defense. I have to give you credit, even in a positive, you'll always find the negative. That's hard to do but you've perfected it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Rui has been garbage on defense too.

Another poster who always finds the negative and focuses only on that in a positive...

The truth is no one on the Wizards is currently playing defense. Some of the vets aren’t good defenders and won’t ever be, Beal is just being lazy and disinterested on D bc he knows the team is going nowhere. 

Some of them are young and make mistakes. And some of them just aren’t really athletic and won’t be good defenders either. Like our bigs - Bryant, Bertans & Wagner - they’re never going to be good defenders. Rui can become a good defender, Troy Brown has the potential to be a great defender. And, Admiral is tearing it up on the Gogo (16 ppg & 5.5 rebs) good chance he can be Brown’s back up next year and he’s a strong rebounder and good defender. Wall & Beal can be better defenders then they’ve shown the last few years, the coaches have to get that out of them and demand it.

Edited by turtle28

(I couldn't not make fun of the Wizards on my return)

On 2/27/2020 at 10:16 PM, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I hear you still, when I looked at this roster in October, I wondered if they'd honestly win 20 games all year and I have to believe everyone thought that unless they were a blind homer.

Just as a point of reference: yes, they beat your over. However, with 75% of the season over, they just got above your threshold at 23 wins.

As another point of reference: They are 4.5 games back from the 8 seed. They're also 4.5 games ahead of the Knicks, who are the 3rd worst team in the East. The only reason they are in "contention" is because the East so top heavy. Making the playoffs as the 8th or even the 7th seed (the Nets only have a 0.5 game lead on the Magic, so I suppose it's possible) would be devastating to the franchise's long term health. The will be fed into the buzzsaw that is Milwaukee or (maybe, if they get really lucky) Toronto and end up with a mid round 1st. No shot at the lottery, no top player, just another guy.

Maybe Tommy Smith is able to work magic from the 15th or 16th pick, but I wouldn't bet on it.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

(I couldn't not make fun of the Wizards on my return)

Just as a point of reference: yes, they beat your over. However, with 75% of the season over, they just got above your threshold at 23 wins.

As another point of reference: They are 4.5 games back from the 8 seed. They're also 4.5 games ahead of the Knicks, who are the 3rd worst team in the East. The only reason they are in "contention" is because the East so top heavy. Making the playoffs as the 8th or even the 7th seed (the Nets only have a 0.5 game lead on the Magic, so I suppose it's possible) would be devastating to the franchise's long term health. The will be fed into the buzzsaw that is Milwaukee or (maybe, if they get really lucky) Toronto and end up with a mid round 1st. No shot at the lottery, no top player, just another guy.

Maybe Tommy Smith is able to work magic from the 15th or 16th pick, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Who’s Tommy Smith?