Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

21 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Honestly, I think the NHL and NBA should do their regular playoff format with the teams already placed, and that's it.  If we wait too much longer and expand things, the start of the next seasons will be delayed because of such a late start.  

4 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

This. Especially for the NBA. I just looked at the standings, and there's pretty much at least a few games gaps in between everything, especially from 8-9 seed in both conferences.

Just start the playoffs.

If I had to guess — which I guess I don’t, but I’m going to anyway — I’d wager that a lot of the discussion behind closed doors was about the Memphis Grizzlies. 

I don’t think anyone would have cared (at all) about getting the playoff outliers in the East into the mix. The Wizards don’t really deserve the spot they’re getting, and they chose to leave out the big markets in NYK and CHI, so I don’t think the league cared much about the stragglers in the East.

But I do think a big part of it is that the league didn’t feel great about going in with Memphis locked in at 8 in the West, ahead of some of these other teams that were fairly close on their heels. For one thing, there’s a real question about whether Memphis “deserves” that standing, regardless of what the record says. From what I’ve read, Memphis had the toughest remaining schedule in the league when play stopped. Which I guess means they had played just about the easiest schedule up until the stoppage. It would be a shame if playoff status was decided in large part by whose schedule was the most back-loaded.

At the time of the stoppage, Memphis ranked 21st in ESPN’s BPI — behind all 5 of the teams that will be brought back in the 22-team restart plan. They ranked 17th in B-R’s SRS rating system, behind both NO and PHO (and just slightly ahead of POR). And 538 had them #19, behind all but SA. From a metrics standpoint, it seems very much up for debate which team “deserves” that last spot, so it will be nice to watch them settle it on the court.

And beyond the issue of who “deserves“ it, I would think the league would be hesitant to just hand Memphis the coveted last spot, Foley from a mass appeal standpoint. They’re the second smallest market in the NBA, and they certainly have a fairly limited following. They have a budding young team, and Ja Morant is a very good young player. But he ain’t the cultural phenomenon that Zion Williamson is. He ain’t the top 10-15 player in a career year that Damian Lillard is. Phoenix is just as young and fun as Memphis, and San Antonio brings the storyline of the legendary coach trying to coax his guys into the playoffs for the 23rd consecutive year. And Sacramento...also plays basketball, I guess?

Anyway, undoubtedly it’s mostly what @MikeT14 said: a way for the league to make some extra money off some extra games while giving the players a chance to work themselves back into form. But I do think they saw an opportunity for a very marketable showdown for that last spot, which probably deserves to be up for grabs anyway. And if we get to enjoy watching Zion and Dame and Ja and Pop go head to head with playoffs on the line, that will be the best sports we’ve seen in many months. I’m on board.

As an added point, I think the NBA may use this as a test run for something like the “entertaining as hell” tournament that Bill Simmons has been proposing for probably decades now:

Shorten the regular season by four games, guarantee the top six seeds in each conference, then have a double-elimination tourney for the seventh and eighth seeds between the remaining 15 teams. I suggest this for five reasons. First, it would be entertaining as hell. In fact, that's what we'll call it: the Entertaining-as-Hell Tournament. Second, I'm pretty sure we could get it sponsored. Third, the top 12 teams get a reward: two weeks of rest while the tournament plays out. 

Fourth, a Cinderella squad could pull off some upsets, grab an eighth seed and win fans along the way. And fifth, with the Entertaining-as-Hell Tournament giving everyone a chance, no team could tank down the stretch without insulting paying customers beyond repair.

I don’t think they’ll ever get to the point of putting all 18 of the non-top-6 teams into a tournament to earn the last two spots — but a quick play-in tournament among teams 7, 8, 9, and 10? If they did it double-elimination style, that’s 12-14 extra “playoff” games (6-7 per conference) for the bean counters, you could do it all in a week, you get a little rest for the top 6 teams to get healthy between the regular season grind and the playoff grind, and maybe you get a couple teams with a little momentum to make those 1 vs. 8 and 2 vs. 7 playoff series a little more competitive. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Should the Wizards sign DeMarcus Cousins for the Orlando games as a sort of tryout for next season?

Bullets forever posed the question on twitter and I like the idea. I for one have wanted the Wizards to trade for Boogie for like 5 years so he could play with Wall & Beal and we could have a Big 3.

Now, I realize our big 3 definitely wouldn't have a superstar and definitely wouldn't be the best in the NBA but, those three, 3 to 5 years ago probably get us to the Eastern Conference Finals at least once where we probably lose to Lebron, Kyrie & Kyrie every time, but maybe not.

We definitely would’ve been better then the Celtics from 2015-2017 if we had added Boogie 5 years ago and traded Porter, picks & others to get him.

Thoughts?

Edited by turtle28

I’ve wanted this marriage for 4 or 5 years, wanting the Wizards to trade Gortat & Porter for DeMarcus Cousins years ago when he was in Sac-town, instead he ended up in New Orleans. I hope we add him and give him the chance to prove himself and if he plays well, we can sign him in free agency.

On 6/16/2020 at 8:44 AM, turtle28 said:

Should the Wizards sign DeMarcus Cousins for the Orlando games as a sort of tryout for next season?

Bullets forever posed the question on twitter and I like the idea. I for one have wanted the Wizards to trade for Boogie for like 5 years so he could play with Wall & Beal and we could have a Big 3.

Now, I realize our big 3 definitely wouldn't have a superstar and definitely wouldn't be the best in the NBA but, those three, 3 to 5 years ago probably get us to the Eastern Conference Finals at least once where we probably lose to Lebron, Kyrie & Kyrie every time, but maybe not.

We definitely would’ve been better then the Celtics from 2015-2017 if we had added Boogie 5 years ago and traded Porter, picks & others to get him.

Thoughts?

I would and heres the reason why. if the wizards decide they will want to go past the tax threshold they  can resign players to go over. unlike just signing a Free agent. and if he gets back to even half his form then its a good sign bc i dont think he will cost  too much. just adding him and resigning bertans will be a good off season for me

PG-Wall- Smith

SG Beal-Brown

SF Bertans- Bonga-Robinson

PF Hachimura-Wagner

C Cousins-Bryant

add in our first round pick and a FA or 2 and i think its at least a playoff team. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 8:57 PM, MikeT14 said:

I was kinda sneaky hoping for some Wall minutes 😎

Not me, I’d hate for him to have a set back in what I consider meaningless games for the Wizards. 

I saw today that Beal is considering not playing. He’s going to talk to personal and team doctors and his family about whether they think it’s smart to put himself at risk.

On 6/29/2020 at 10:02 AM, LoganF89 said:

I would and heres the reason why. if the wizards decide they will want to go past the tax threshold they  can resign players to go over. unlike just signing a Free agent. and if he gets back to even half his form then its a good sign bc i dont think he will cost  too much. just adding him and resigning bertans will be a good off season for me

PG-Wall- Smith

SG Beal-Brown

SF Bertans- Bonga-Robinson

PF Hachimura-Wagner

C Cousins-Bryant

add in our first round pick and a FA or 2 and i think its at least a playoff team. 

The Wizards will be a playoff team next year even w/o Cousins playing for them given that they’ll have Wall back. 

I think adding Cousins, retaining Bertans and signing a 3 & D SF puts them in the running for home court advantage next year like they were before Wall got hurt a few years ago. Having Bertans as a starting SF isn’t a good idea. They need a 3 & D SF free agent signed or to hope that Brown can fill that role. Bertans is best off the bench as a stretch 4.

I wouldn’t expect much out of the Wizards first round pick this year right away. This draft seems like a weak draft, at least on the surface for having guys who can contribute right away at a high level short of a handful of guys. 

Edited by turtle28

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Not me, I’d hate for him to have a set back in what I consider meaningless games for the Wizards. 

Of course. I'd be devastated if something happened. It's like a head and heart thing, ya know?