Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Trading away Oubre for Ariza is still something I’ll never understand that Ernie did.

First, they didn't win game 3 so the bigger point is lost.

Second

Game 1

• Anthony Davis: +23
  • LeBron James: +10
  • Danny Green: +21
  • Kentavious Caldwell-Page: +2

• Dwight Howard: -2
  • Markieff Morris (off the bench): -1

Game 2

• Anthony Davis: +10
  • LeBron James: +7
  • Danny Green: +4
  • Kentavious Caldwell-Page: +14

• Dwight Howard: +5
  • Markieff Morris: +3

Game 3

• Anthony Davis: -26
  • LeBron James: -4
  • Danny Green: -15
  • Kentavious Caldwell-Page: -26

• Dwight Howard: -15
  • Markieff Morris: +10

The Lakers are doing more to win in spite of the 2018-19 Wizards front court than because of it (last night being the big exception by Morris).

1 hour ago, Woz said:

First, they didn't win game 3 so the bigger point is lost.

Second

Game 1

• Anthony Davis: +23
  • LeBron James: +10
  • Danny Green: +21
  • Kentavious Caldwell-Page: +2

• Dwight Howard: -2
  • Markieff Morris (off the bench): -1

Game 2

• Anthony Davis: +10
  • LeBron James: +7
  • Danny Green: +4
  • Kentavious Caldwell-Page: +14

• Dwight Howard: +5
  • Markieff Morris: +3

Game 3

• Anthony Davis: -26
  • LeBron James: -4
  • Danny Green: -15
  • Kentavious Caldwell-Page: -26

• Dwight Howard: -15
  • Markieff Morris: +10

The Lakers are doing more to win in spite of the 2018-19 Wizards front court than because of it (last night being the big exception by Morris).

Oh sure, but it still sucks that Howard & then Wall got hurt for us back then. 

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Oh sure, but it still sucks that Howard & then Wall got hurt for us back then. 

Like I said, if you want to continue to be a fan of this franchise, hope for a couple of good drafts and look towards 2023 (when they finally get out from underneath Wall and Beal's contracts). They have no chance of winning until then. Okay, they have a little chance of winning because the East is so horrifically bad once you get past the top 4 or 5 teams. That doesn't mean much other than maybe another "Wizards Special" (giving the fanbase hope that this year is the year ... and then losing in the second round of the playoffs).

21 minutes ago, Woz said:

Like I said, if you want to continue to be a fan of this franchise, hope for a couple of good drafts and look towards 2023 (when they finally get out from underneath Wall and Beal's contracts). They have no chance of winning until then. Okay, they have a little chance of winning because the East is so horrifically bad once you get past the top 4 or 5 teams. That doesn't mean much other than maybe another "Wizards Special" (giving the fanbase hope that this year is the year ... and then losing in the second round of the playoffs).

We’ve established this, I want them to be great of course but I’ve also accepted the fact that for the rest of my life they’ll probably always be bad to at the best just good like they are when both Beal and Wall are healthy. I will continue to be a fan of the Wizards because I’m a Washington sports fan and I like basketball. Basketball and soccer were my two favorite sports growing up and football has always been my favorite to watch. I’m nearly as big of a basketball fan as I am football fan though, I can accept the Wizards for what they are and what they probably always will be. I’d rather watch an average basketball team play then really almost anything else on TV just like I’d rather watch the Washington Football Team be average or below rather than anything else in TV.

I’ve said this for a decade, it’s not changing. The only person who seems to have problem accepting that is you bc it certainly isn’t me.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:44 AM, turtle28 said:

I’ve said this for a decade, it’s not changing. The only person who seems to have problem accepting that is you bc it certainly isn’t me.

Oh, I have no problem with it. I just like pointing and laughing at you and the rest of the Wizards fanbase when they think that the team has a chance of contending.

I'm glad you have tempered your expectations of the franchise though. Now, to be fair, it is possible that once they get past 2023, with some luck, they could be competitive. I wouldn't bank on it though.

• 5 weeks later...

Hypothetical trade:

Wizards get 

SF Andrew Wiggins

#2 overall pick 

2021 Timberwolves 1st Round Pick (top 3 protected)

Warriors get

SG Bradley Beal

Who says no?

You're getting a wing in Wiggins, who granted hasn't lived up to being a #1 overall pick, but is a solid player who's in the timeline to help the team win now.  With #2 you're guaranteed either SG Edwards to replace Beal or Center Wiseman to be the star Center on the team.  Then with their natural pick at #9 you can take whatever position you didn't get a 2.  The TWolves pick the following year could easily be another top 10 pick.  

Edited by MKnight82

NBA Draft is next Wednesday, November 8th.

Who do you want the Wizards to select (w/in reason, Edwards, Weisman & Melo aren’t falling to us) and who do you think they actually select?

Want: Okongwu, PF/C, USC 

Actually select: Devin Vassell, SF, Florida State 

I think Okongwu goes a pick or two before we pick, same with Toppin who I want. I would love to get Toppin, start him at PF and move Rui to SF but I doubt we get that lucky and I think they’ll continue to start Rui at PF even though I’d argue I think he and the team would be better off if he develops into a SF w/ more range over the next few years rather than a stretch 4.

Rui’s defense and rebounding would be better if he’s our starting SF - playing there 20 minutes per game and 15 min at PF) not playing 35 min at PF.  

I have Vassell over Okoro bc of Vassell’s ability to be the best 3 and D wing in this draft. I think he can come in year one and be a good defender and a good offensive player as a rookie too. He’s a good defender and while I agree with everyone that Okoro has elite defender written all over him, I don’t think Vassell is far behind in his D and Vassell is way ahead of Okoro on offense.

I think Vassell can be like Otto Porter was for us after a year or two of development. I think it’s unlikely he’s going to be a double digit scorer and starter as a rookie but, it’s possible. 

My hope is that Troy Brown’s jump shot -especially 3-pt shot - has continued to improve since he left the bubble and that he can finally be our answer at starting SF this year but, I think taking Vassell is the right selection and Vassell may end up being a better option than Brown at SF even as a rookie.

Okongwu and Okoro are who I believe Washington wants. Both fit big needs, but are expected to go earlier than 9. 

My expectation is Patrick Williams (who is also rising), Devin Vassell, Killian Hayes or Tyrese Halliburton.

An idea I thought of in terms of free agency would be to sign and trade Davis Bertans. He is a hot commodity who can shoot it with the best of em. Tommy Sheppard has shown that he can wheel and deal as we’ve seen. Reports are teams have reached out to the Wiz with the expectation he’ll re-sign there because they hold his Bird Rights (They can pay him more).

Why not sign and trade Bertans, who is a fantastic shooter but stinks on D, for additional assets and then sign Jerami Grant? Grant has length, plays hard, can defend 3+ positions and he improved his offensive game including his shooting. He also would be a bit cheaper and is only 27 I believe.  

Not sure how realistic this is, but getting a valuable return for a valuable asset and the signing a guy like Jerami Grant, who is a DC guy, would improve the D and increase the Wiz’s overall D and assets/talent level.

for a cash/asset strapped team - this would help refill the coffers.

Thoughts?