Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

44 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Deni Avdija is certainly not a 3-and-D guy. He isn't really known for either "3" or "D". To me is more of a playmaking 3/4. He has good handle for a 6'9 guy. Can pass well and get to the basket. Refining his shot & learning to play with contact will be the most important thing to watch in his development. He isn't a freak athlete, but is long and plays with energy so that gives some confidence that he'll be a decent defender.

The one thing I feel the Wizards really lack is an identity. They really aren't a classic P&R half-court offense. They try and play the up and down game but they don't do it very effectively. The collection of players they have are somewhat talented, but I don't see how they all fit together. The collective production from their squad doesn't match the sum of their talent. That needs to change.

Do you have a real 3 who can defend other 3s? No. Do you have a defensive anchor who can block shots and control the paint? No.

Most important thing for 2021: One of Rui Hachimura or Troy Brown Jr. need to emerge as a legit 3rd option. 

Yeah everything I’ve heard and read is that Deni is good at everything but not great at everything. Honestly it’s exciting though bc he played against grown men. He’s only 19 so he should develope easy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

You’re right! Napier is a UFA. The definitely made this trade to replace him. That being the case I see Winston making the roster too. Probably be of the last guys to make the roster but he should make it.

I think a guy they could get as a defensive minded SF is Moe Harkless. Chase Hughes of NBCSportsWashington suggested that when he and I were tweeting back and forth yesterday.

The last time he started was a few years ago and he averaged 10 pts & 4 rebs but the reason we’d want him isn’t bc of his scoring - we have plenty of that w/ the other 4 starters & Bertans if he’s re-signed - it’s bc he’s a solid D player and we need someone to play solid D on the wing.

I’ll be honest If I were the Wizards I would finally kick the tires on boogie. Wall has wanted to play with him forever and with both coming off 2 years of injuries they both have something to prove. I think he would come cheap as well.

i think Justin Holliday at SF for the Pacers would be a good pick up for depth if we are able to get Bertans back. He’s a true 3 and D player. However he is 31 but he wouldn’t be a franchise cornerstone so it wouldn’t matter

Wall/Ish/Winston

Beal/Brown/Robinson

Avdija/Holliday/Bonga

Hachimura/Bertans/Wagner

Bryant/Cousins

I really wouldn’t mind that lineup at all!

if we end up not being able to sign Bertans the. I like your theory on Jerami Grant to be our starter at SF allowing Avdija to come off the bench starting out. I would just hate to see Bertans not sign bc I could see him going crazy with walls playmaking if he comes back healthy and to his old self

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I’ll be honest If I were the Wizards I would finally kick the tires on boogie. Wall has wanted to play with him forever and with both coming off 2 years of injuries they both have something to prove. I think he would come cheap as well.

i think Justin Holliday at SF for the Pacers would be a good pick up for depth if we are able to get Bertans back. He’s a true 3 and D player. However he is 31 but he wouldn’t be a franchise cornerstone so it wouldn’t matter

Wall/Ish/Winston

Beal/Brown/Robinson

Avdija/Holliday/Bonga

Hachimura/Bertans/Wagner

Bryant/Cousins

if we end up not being able to sign Bertans the. I like your theory on Jerami Grant to be our starter at SF allowing Avdija to come off the bench starting out. I would just hate to see Bertans not sign bc I could see him going crazy with walls playmaking if he comes back healthy and to his old self

Yeah, that’d be nice and I’d definitely kick the tires on Boggie too, I felt they should’ve years ago.

I definitely like that Holiday was a 40% shooter from 3 last year. That’d get back to days of Porter being their to catch Wall’s kick outs and knock down the open 3.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

Wall/Ish/Winston

Beal/Brown/Robinson

Avdija/Holliday/Bonga

Hachimura/Bertans/Wagner

Bryant/Cousins

I think its really unlikely they retain Bertans.  He's going to get a ton of offers.  

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I think its really unlikely they retain Bertans.  He's going to get a ton of offers.  

They can match any offer bc of Bird rights and give him the playing time he wants - like 30 mpg - where other teams might not have that many minutes available for a back up PF. 

@A TRAIN 89 Agree about TBJ or Rui needing to emerge as the 3rd option & 4th option tbh. I think Rui is more likely the 3rd guy and TBJ the 4th.

The way I see it is if each could just hit one more 3 a game it would get their totals up into the range we’d like them.

Most importantly them and Bryant have to improve their D if our team is going to be anything more than avg this year or next.

Edited by turtle28

Gill’s profile in the numbers appears to make him a perfect fit for the Wizards. He’s highly efficient on offense — 66% on two-point attempts, 43% from three on more than four attempts per 40 minutes, and 81% from the free throw line. He did a good job avoiding turnovers.

His rebounding was acceptable (nine per 40 minutes), but he’s not a playmaker (just two assists per 40 minutes) and there doesn’t appear to be much defensive production (low blocks and steals, but elevated fouling). On the other hand, he played for Tony Bennett, who annually coaches one of the NCAA’s best defensive units. It seems likely Gill will at least be competent defensively.

2020 NBA Free Agency: Wizards sign free agent Anthony Gill

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2020/11/20/21588117/2020-nba-free-agency-wizards-sign-anthony-gill

Edited by turtle28