Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

On 11/23/2020 at 3:59 PM, MikeT14 said:

It does drive me nuts. I'm just commenting if there was someone out there who was as confident as you are that they can win 40 in a 72 game season (I'm pretty sure we got to that), then they could make a lot of money. Because Vegas ain't having it. 

I got ya. 

🇺🇸 Anthony Gill • Welcome to Washington Wizards!

Anyone else think he may have a shot at being our starting SF?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/5-things-to-know-about-new-wizards-forward-anthony-gill/2483338/%3famp

He played with Davis Bertans' brother in Europe

Gill has spent two seasons in the EuroLeague, and his time with Khimki saw him overlap with multiple players with ties to the Wizards.

Those players include Davis Bertans' brother, Dairis. Retaining Davis, of course, is the Wizards top priority during this free agency period. Gill also overlapped with Greg Monroe, who played at Georgetown and was often connected to the Wizards, and Devin Booker, whose brother Trevor played for the Wizards from 2010-14.

He's a good shooter

Gill set the field goal percentage record at UVA, a number that typically comes from inside scoring. And he is an efficient scorer in those situations.

But he's also known for his strong outside shooting. He shot 47.8% from beyond the arc in his first season with Khimki, and finished his collegiate career at 41.9%.

I think they’re a better team with this move, I had no faith Wall was going to come back in and assimilate. Not a contender but will be a fun team to watch and will have a few marquee moments this year in terms of matchups/star power. Realistically that’s the best you can hope for when you’re not a blue chip NBA franchise

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Thank god.  No offense to any John Wall fans out there but the guy is a losing player.  Inefficient scorer who can’t shoot, his whole game was built around his explosiveness which I’m sure is now gone.  

In all fairness, that exact description also applies to Russell Westbrook. 

Westbrook was always the better player, and I’m sure he still is. But all the issues that existed with the plan to go forward with Beal and Wall still exist — the salary issues, the ball-dominant PG fit issues, the fact that they’re not good enough together to really compete. And now they’ve dumped a 1st round pick for the opportunity to compete for a 5th/6th seed instead of a 7th/8th seed. 

Hopefully the pick is well-protected. If so, from a value standpoint, it’s probably a decent sized win for us.

On a personal level, though, I’ve enjoyed rooting for John Wall for a lot of years. And I don’t particularly care for Russell Westbrook. If we’re going to be mediocre and cap-crippled one way or the other, I personally would rather watch our guy attempt a comeback than watch somebody else’s guy attempt to put up big enough numbers to force his way into a super team for one last run. 

16 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Westbrook was always the better player, and I’m sure he still is. But all the issues that existed with the plan to go forward with Beal and Wall still exist — the salary issues, the ball-dominant PG fit issues, the fact that they’re not good enough together to really compete. And now they’ve dumped a 1st round pick for the opportunity to compete for a 5th/6th seed instead of a 7th/8th seed. 

Hopefully the pick is well-protected. If so, from a value standpoint, it’s probably a decent sized win for us.

On a personal level, though, I’ve enjoyed rooting for John Wall for a lot of years. And I don’t particularly care for Russell Westbrook. If we’re going to be mediocre and cap-crippled one way or the other, I personally would rather watch our guy attempt a comeback than watch somebody else’s guy attempt to put up big enough numbers to force his way into a super team for one last run. 

I’m the complete opposite, I don’t care for Wall at all.

36 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think the pros out weigh the cons on this trade 

at the end of the day while we do lose a franchise guy who was with us for 10 years and an elite passer we also gain quite a bit too

we get probably the best rebounding PG in the league, a guy who isn’t fragile like wall, and I believe he has a year less than wall on his contract.

Wall is really an unknown right now. He’s been out 2 years. I’ll take the guy who averages triple doubles. Especially since the first round pick is heavily protected for years to come.

i know Westbrook isn’t the best shooter but I think his fit with Harden was horrible. I think any Star PGs fit with harden is horrible to be honest 

this will be a fun team to watch. I’m not expecting a high seed but I am expecting playoffs

35 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Say what you will about Wall the basketball player / teammate, but always felt like he was a good guy. The effort he went through to help that little girl with cancer meet Nicki Minaj was a special moment. I always find some of the fawning over a player moving on tiresome, but I also don’t have any sort of ill will towards John, just the opposite.

i will say, and it’s been said several times on this page, Russ is unquestionably a better basketball player right now than John. On paper, this team got better. 

• Like 1

That’s cool — like I said, that’s just my personal take. I’ll find the team less enjoyable (and less watchable) now, which makes it a bit more of a bummer for me than it does for you, obviously.

Pretty sure they have the same amount of years remaining.  

I stand corrected, just looked it up, I swear I thought I saw something that said his was up earlier but I was wrong. Probably paid attention to the player option but both have them.