Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

It's really just the volume of three pointers that bother me. From what I've seen (didn't look at the data), Westbrook is a very good midrange shooter. Also I think it's a function of age (you mentioned this). I like Russ. I don't like that he runs out and grabs half a dozen boards in the first quarter as it seems like he's chase a trip dub. I also don't like this body language. But I can't question his hustle and, what it appears to be, leadership (the body language comes with this though). 

The Wiz weren't/aren't winning a title with Wall/Russ IMO. But I'm happier to have Russ purely because he appears to be more of a professional than Wall. I mean, that's until we get fans. Then he can yap at them and I may change my tune.  😂

The leadership, and acting like a true professional, hopefully rubs off on some of the young guys. I'm really excited about Deni... even more so than Rui. Deni's handles look great; and I hope he's given some touches to develop those skills. 

12 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

It's really just the volume of three pointers that bother me. From what I've seen (didn't look at the data), Westbrook is a very good midrange shooter. Also I think it's a function of age (you mentioned this). I like Russ. I don't like that he runs out and grabs half a dozen boards in the first quarter as it seems like he's chase a trip dub. I also don't like this body language. But I can't question his hustle and, what it appears to be, leadership (the body language comes with this though). 

The Wiz weren't/aren't winning a title with Wall/Russ IMO. But I'm happier to have Russ purely because he appears to be more of a professional than Wall. I mean, that's until we get fans. Then he can yap at them and I may change my tune.  😂

The leadership, and acting like a true professional, hopefully rubs off on some of the young guys. I'm really excited about Deni... even more so than Rui. Deni's handles look great; and I hope he's given some touches to develop those skills. 

I like Russ a lot, I think he got a bad wrap bc Durant left OKC and people “assumed” Durant left OKC bc he didn’t want to play with Russ anymore and then Russ got tagged with a “selfish” label that former teammates have pushed back on and I’ll believe those guys like Paul George, Melo, Stephen Adams etc over reporters just saying crazy takes for attention dollars.

I definitely like Russ’s approach to the game. As you said Russ has been professional and from what I’ve seen he’s really coaching the young players up on the court and when they go to the bench during breaks or time outs.

Agreed on Deni. The future of our forward position is is good hands with Deni & Rui. I like Bryant for what he’s good at - offense & spreading the floor - but I still don’t like him as a starting center bc he’s not strong on the block and doesn’t play good interior defense or rebound well.

With the soft way that Bryant plays as a big, I think he’s a better fit in the NBA as a PF, not a center. I think he’s being miscast by the Wizards. I was not happy when Tommy Shepherd came out and said when free agency started that Bryant would be the teams starting center.

Then, they signed Robin Lopez who isn’t an upgrade either. I would’ve much rather seen them add a defensive minded center and made Bryant their first big off the bench.

• Like 1

Gooooo ahead Wiz! 

Russ still shooting too many terrible 3s. Pimped his last 3 and didn't get back on defense. Almost cost us the game. He DID get to the FT line tonight though! Didn't have a board until the second half too. Less stats... more dubs!

Bertans too... you don't get extra points for distance.

Rui great on the post. Bryant grabbing boards. He's been very, very good early on. 

Underrated - Wiz got Nets in foul trouble early. Bench played well. Some nice minutes from Robinson. 

Bonga and Wagner not being used this game, and others, a bit of a head scratcher. That said, Lopez is somewhat serviceable. 

Edited by Skinsin2013

12 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Gooooo ahead Wiz! 

Russ still shooting too many terrible 3s. Pimped his last 3 and didn't get back on defense. Almost cost us the game. He DID get to the FT line tonight though! Didn't have a board until the second half too. Less stats... more dubs!

Bertans too... you don't get extra points for distance.

Rui great on the post. Bryant grabbing boards. He's been very, very good early on. 

Underrated - Wiz got Nets in foul trouble early. Bench played well. Some nice minutes from Robinson

Bonga and Wagner not being used this game, and others, a bit of a head scratcher. That said, Lopez is somewhat serviceable. 

Yes to all Thats bolded. I too wish Westbrook would stop shooting bad 3’s, if you can’t get a midrange off or a runner/layup then pass it. I don’t want him taking 7 threes. It’s like him and Wall are connected at the mind or something. What, did Westbrook see Wall took 8 threes vs the Kings Saturday night and thought, I have to match it!

No, just NO!

He needs to play his game.

Totally agree on the rest, Bertans needs to quit jacking up bad shots. Shoot good threes, not prayers. I love how Rui & Bryant are plying on offense, I still think Bryant is a better option at PF & Rui at SF bc of how they get worked on D at their current positions but that probably will never ever change while they’re in a Wizards uni, the front office/Brooks think they’re a PF & C so, it is what it is.

I am glad Robinson has been better the last two games, that’s promising.

I definitely agree which you it’s disappointing that Bonga & Wagner aren’t getting minutes. I hate that Lopez has stolen Wagner’s role. I love Wagner as a stretch 5 and he plays pretty solid defense. Brooks has to find 10-20 minutes somewhere for Bonga bc of his defense. I do understand the issue though bc they guy you’d have him in for is Avdija and Deni is playing strong D too although, not as strong as Bonga gives you but, Deni is a superior offensive player and playmaker by miles so that the rub.

You would just think that between Ish, Neto & Robinson’s minutes that there’s gotta be some minutes in there somewhere for Bonga. I’d rather see Bonga in there for defensive purposes than to see a 2 PG like up & us get abused on the defensive end.

Brooks needs to fix that.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Totally agree on the rest, Bertans needs to quit jacking up bad shots. Shoot good threes, not prayers. I love how Rui & Bryant are plying on offense, I still think Bryant is a better option at PF & Rui at SF bc of how they get worked on D at their current positions but that probably will never ever change while they’re in a Wizards uni, the front office/Brooks think they’re a PF & C so, it is what it is.

I think that's a personnel issue. Agree on TB at PF and Rui at SF. But they'd need to find a legit C in the draft or FA. I know the league is moving away from traditional Cs. I just want a big body that can grab boards and be a rim protector. I just want Rudy Gobert. Is that too much to ask? 😂

Edited by Skinsin2013

19 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I think that's a personnel issue. Agree on TB at PF and Rui at SF. But they'd need to find a legit C in the draft or FA. I know the league is moving away from traditional Cs. I just want a big body that can grab boards and be a rim protector. I just want Rudy Gobert. Is that too much to ask? 😂

Same, and it seemed to me by Tommy Shepherd’s comments a month ago that they didn’t even try to upgrade Bryant or discuss moving him to PF & Rui to SF. Shepherd said “Thomas Bryant is our starting center, period.”

When everyone who cares about the Wizards or reports on them heard that, everyone’s response was WTF! Gonna be a long year again!

On 1/4/2021 at 6:46 PM, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Avidija has the look to me of someone who will be a successful NBA player. Seems like the speed of the game and athleticism isn’t too much for him at all. Fair or not the Euro guys always make me nervous (The Jan affect?), but like what I’ve seen so far.

Agreed, he and Rui are solid forwards who will only get better.

Damn Jan, Ernie’s worst draft pick and that’s saying a lot! I understand that Jan was athletic but so are a bunch of guys playing in college & they could shoot. If Ernie had taken one of the Morris twins, Klay Thompson, Kawhai Leonard or Nikola Vučević the Wizards would’ve been a contender most of the decade. If we had drafted Vučević that draft we wouldn’t have had to trade a 1st for Gortat also. We also took Chris Singleton over Tobias Harris in the 2011 draft which was a miss. Singleton was a good defensive player but couldn’t shoot.

Other Euro’s that Euro Ernie busted on were Oleksiy Pecherov (2006 18th pick) and Juan Carlos Navarro (2007 2nd Rnd pick)

Edited by turtle28

If the Nets are going to trade Jarrett Allen bc they don’t want to give him a big extension the Wizards should trade for him and I’d most certainly move Bryant to make it happen.

Not even sure if Jarrett Allen will be on the trade block but that trade would certainly give the Wizards the defensive presence/rim protector and rebounder in the middle that they’re currently missing.