Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What’s disturbing is how bad Beal, Bertans & Bryant are on defense.

I mean the last two are well known. Is that TBJ below Robin? If he isn't going to provide anything offensively where his skills supposedly are, do something on the defensive side. His box +/- is -6.7. If he qualified that would be 7th worst in the league (right ahead of Oubre ironically) 

• Like 1

Beal, Westbrook & Bertans combine for 97 points but the wizards give up 141 points to the Sixers, including 82 in the first half.

On his birthday, Bradley Beal ties Gilbert Arenas’s team record of 60 points (7-10 from 3) in a game. He also threw in 7 rebs, 5 assists & 1 steal

Westbrook: 20 rebs, 8 rebs, 12 assists & 3 steal & 1 block 

Bertans: 17 pts (4-12 from 3, again not good enough) 4 rebs, 1 ast & 1 steal

Bryant: 11 pts, 6 rebs & 1 assist

What I hated:

Ish Smith, who’s erratic played 23 minutes and gets abused on defense while Bonga again got zero minutes & also TBJ got zero minutes. One of those two should should’ve played some of Ish’s minutes bc we need more size than Ish & Neto to guard (6’ & 6’2); especially Bonga’s size & length as a defender.

Its just a mismanagement by Brooks of his roster. He needs to play TBJ or preferably Bonga bc of their size/length and ability to play D on the wing bc the small PG back court is getting abused on defense and has all year!

Again, Brooks didn’t play Avdija in the 4th quarter & Bonga didn’t play at all. They are two young and strong defenders who need to play. Brooks also played the 3 PG like up of Russ, Neto and Ish again too much. 

Makes zero sense and it’s leading to losses bc our D is so awful. Also, Mo Wagner should be playing over Lopez. Wagner gives us more on both ends of the floor.

I don’t think Brooks will make these adjustments - he seems set in his ways - but he should be fired if he doesn’t play these 3 guys who are better defenders more than who the guys he keeps playing. 

Edited by turtle28

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Steve Buckhantz just direct messaged me on Twitter and thanked me for my support bc I said how much the Wizards broadcast misses him and Phil. 😳 

That is a FACT!

Liked the fight the Wiz showed yesterday. Clear, yet again, this team is better when the ball moves. The team can't just go into each game with 40-50 shots carved out for Beal and Russ. That's loser basketball.

Still very little defense.

Still fire Scott Brooks.

4 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

That is a FACT!

Liked the fight the Wiz showed yesterday. Clear, yet again, this team is better when the ball moves. The team can't just go into each game with 40-50 shots carved out for Beal and Russ. That's loser basketball.

Still very little defense.

Still fire Scott Brooks.

Yep.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:57 PM, turtle28 said:

Another example of why Brooks needs to play Wagner over Lopez. Lopez basically played D on this play bc he didn’t get out of Russ’s way.

I just saw this post, and I know you’re not necessarily saying what the guy on Twitter was saying, but this is a classic example of the lengths to which people will go to defend players they like. He has on the floor with him one of the best shooters on the planet in Bertans, a career 38% 3pt shooter who is exceeding even that so far this year in Neto, and a guy who isn’t a great shooter but can hit one in Robinson. If you have to have four shooters on the floor with you at all times, you’re a pretty fragile superstar. 

The real problem Westbrook is running into is that he HIMSELF is a non-shooter. Which is why you see Ben Simmons guarding him like he’s, well...Ben Simmons. They’re making him shoot jumpers, which has always been the strategy, but now — whether it’s because of the quad injury or just Father Time — he does not currently have the extraordinary ability he once had to still get to the rim despite them sagging off. 

Obviously embarrassing play by Lopez, but the bigger/biggest issue for this team is that unless Westbrook can turn back the clock and start getting to the rim at will, he’s not a good offensive player. He’s actually somehow shooting much better than his career average from 16 feet and out — when that starts to normalize, he’s going to be a black hole on offense if he can’t get the explosion back. 

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

At what point do we start discussing Bradley Beal trade scenarios?

As non-sold as I am on Westbrook, I think they have to see those two together for a while at full speed to see if anything clicks. Same as I felt with Wall before the trade. Their concept has been to try to build the team around those two guards as a duo, I think they’ve gotta at least try to let it play out before they pull the plug. 

That said, it’s already mid-January. The trade deadline is March 25. I think they’ve got until mid-March to make a final decision on Beal/the future. And if things look anything like they have through 11 games, that decision is probably going to have to be the wrecking ball.