Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

So the Wizards season is going nowhere, and they're currently above the luxury tax by nearly 900k.  Someone's going to get dealt before the trade deadline to get them under that luxury tax.  My bet would be Ish Smith.  He's on an expiring deal and making $6 mil this season.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

As non-sold as I am on Westbrook, I think they have to see those two together for a while at full speed to see if anything clicks. Same as I felt with Wall before the trade. Their concept has been to try to build the team around those two guards as a duo, I think they’ve gotta at least try to let it play out before they pull the plug. 

That said, it’s already mid-January. The trade deadline is March 25. I think they’ve got until mid-March to make a final decision on Beal/the future. And if things look anything like they have through 11 games, that decision is probably going to have to be the wrecking ball.

Basically Beal has all the control and has to request a trade. 

I'm clamoring for a full-scale rebuild. 

• Like 1

So I heard that Beal (the Wizards union rep) and Westbrook are going to talk to the league about postponing Friday’s game for safety issues.

I actually hope they play it. I’ve wanted to see guys like Bonga, Matthews, and Anthony Gil Get more minutes. It gives them an 8 man rotation. 

As @MKnight82 & others have said @Skinsin2013 have said for over a year that it’s sad to say but the day is approaching where this team should trade Beal so they can get something for him to help this team rebuild.

And as much as it’s weird, they should do the same with Westbrook now, it’s harder to trade Westbrook bc of his salary & he’s been battling his quad injury but, they did successfully trade John Wall with the same salary coming off a torn achillies. So, it’s possible and at worst they could buy out Westbrook just so they could dump his salary for next free agency this upcoming summer and rebuild.

I’d like to trade Beal to the Western Conference like they did with Wall but an enticing trade to me is trading Beal to the Miami Heat and getting Tyler Hero in return, Duncan Robinson, Precious Achiuwa & a few 1st round picks which will only end up being picks in the 20s but still it’s something.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Amazing how the Wizards just wasted Beal. 

Basically in the NBA you need to have a top 5 NBA talent that draws in other talent (the Lakers, Clippers, Nets approach) or have a core of guys coming in at the same time and growing together (the Nuggets, 76ers, Thunder back in the day approach).  The Wizards are currently in no man's land in between.  While Beal is still pretty young he turns 28 this year and is in his 9th NBA season.  They need to blow the roster up and get as many draft picks as they can.

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Basically in the NBA you need to have a top 5 NBA talent that draws in other talent (the Lakers, Clippers, Nets approach) or have a core of guys coming in at the same time and growing together (the Nuggets, 76ers, Thunder back in the day approach).  The Wizards are currently in no man's land in between.  While Beal is still pretty young he turns 28 this year and is in his 9th NBA season.  They need to blow the roster up and get as many draft picks as they can.

Yes, as much as it saddens me the Westbrook/Beal marriage isn’t enough to get this team back to the playoff it looks like and they need to blow it. Russ not being healthy is a big problem for this team, Bertans not being in great shape to start the season was a big problem, not upgrading the C position w/ a defensive minded guy, Bryant tearing his ACL, not getting a 3 & D SF and then obviously double pink eye for Rui & most of the team having COVID is a huge problem for this team.

With all of this and their HC throwing out awful rotations w/ 3 PGs playing too often or 2 PGs w/ Beal at SF isn’t working either. Brooks not focusing or frankly looking like he doesn’t care about making them a better defensive team & not giving Beal & Russ a rest at the end of the 3rd quarter so they’re  fresh in the 4th quarter is a huge deal too.

Brooks needs fired & they need to trade Beal and rebuild. They also need to try to trade Russ or consider buying him out for the sake of their future too if they’re also trading Beal away. Trading Russ is going to be hard but they did trade Wall so perhaps it’s possible to get 2 or 3 good players for Russ from some team. I sadly have to say that buying Russ out though is probably the only option they have and then move forward w/ a top 5 pick in June & July free agency to go with Rui, Avdija & whoever we get back in trading Beal w/ rebuilding this team.