Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, Woz said:

That's going to get expensive since that has a 15% trade kicker on top of Beal's 2021 $34.5M salary.

What does “trade kicker” mean? If he’s traded the team trading for him has to pay him a 15% higher salary?

Yes, that $5 mil is a lot but any team that’s willing to trade for Beal is going to gladly pay that $ I would think. He’s leading the NBA in scoring. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What does “trade kicker” mean? If he’s traded the team trading for him has to pay him a 15% higher salary?

Yes, that $5 mil is a lot but any team that’s willing to trade for Beal is going to gladly pay that $ I would think. He’s leading the NBA in scoring. 

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/12/hoops-rumors-glossary-trade-kickers.html

So, to trade Beal, if I'm reading this right:

1. The Wizards would have to pay him $10.76M for the privilege of sending him somewhere else. (it's possible that it would only be $5.18M because 2022-23 is a player option year)
  2. They would take $5.38M in cap hits in 2021-22 and 2022-23 to account for the kicker. (if only 2021 counts, it would be $2.59M per year)
  3. His new team would have to account for the kicker in his contract when sending back equivalent salary.

And then there's the possibility of the kicker making it so Beal's salary exceeds the maximum salary, which would invalidate the deal. It's close

https://hoopshype.com/2018/10/21/nba-maximum-salary/

But those numbers are projections from 2018. I don't know what the actual max salary numbers are now and how COVID may have reshaped the max amounts. It's late and I don't care enough.

I think these recent games have shown us that the following CAN BE successful:

Russ/Rui
Beal/Rui/pass first PG

I kept seeing tweets, from local sports pundits, that maybe this is Rui breaking out. WRONG. It's just Rui getting shots because Beal is out.

Trade Beal... get back a young, very good player, picks, take on salary to match contracts that are eventually dumped, creating more cap space.

Sign Jarrett Allen in the off-season. 

Russ, Rui, young promising player, Deni, picks, Allen. Let's go!

BTW... I'd be really curious about what we could get back for Russ in a trade now too.

19 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

BTW... I'd be really curious about what we could get back for Russ in a trade now too.

His contract is so large its nearly impossible to find a trade that works because of the matching salary rule.  Maybe it would be easier in the offseason if teams have more cap, but I don't think there are going to be a lot of teams with cap space this offseason. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Woz said:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/12/hoops-rumors-glossary-trade-kickers.html

So, to trade Beal, if I'm reading this right:

1. The Wizards would have to pay him $10.76M for the privilege of sending him somewhere else. (it's possible that it would only be $5.18M because 2022-23 is a player option year)
  2. They would take $5.38M in cap hits in 2021-22 and 2022-23 to account for the kicker. (if only 2021 counts, it would be $2.59M per year)
  3. His new team would have to account for the kicker in his contract when sending back equivalent salary.

And then there's the possibility of the kicker making it so Beal's salary exceeds the maximum salary, which would invalidate the deal. It's close

https://hoopshype.com/2018/10/21/nba-maximum-salary/

But those numbers are projections from 2018. I don't know what the actual max salary numbers are now and how COVID may have reshaped the max amounts. It's late and I don't care enough.

Is that why when I try him in the ESPN trade machine thing it never seems to work even when the salaries the Wizards are getting back match up w/ what Beal’s salary is?

I have know clue if that’s true, just wondering what you thought about that.

13 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I think these recent games have shown us that the following CAN BE successful:

Russ/Rui
Beal/Rui/pass first PG

I kept seeing tweets, from local sports pundits, that maybe this is Rui breaking out. WRONG. It's just Rui getting shots because Beal is out.

Trade Beal... get back a young, very good player, picks, take on salary to match contracts that are eventually dumped, creating more cap space.

Sign Jarrett Allen in the off-season. 

Russ, Rui, young promising player, Deni, picks, Allen. Let's go!

Man I really, really don’t want to trade Beal and I doubt they ever will unless Beal asks for the trade but I reluctantly agree that this is the best option for our future.

I love the idea of signing Jarrett Allen in the offseason too.

The trade I like best with Beal is trading him to the Blazers because they have a lot of young talent developing we could acquire - of course they traded Gary Trent who I really, really wanted back if we did trade Beal - but we could get CJ McCullom back in the trade to be our starting SG and he’s a less of a ball dominant guard than Beal to play next to Russ. We could also get Nasir Little back in the trade who’s a promising young reserve wing they have who’s in his second season from UNC. 

Edited by turtle28

On 3/31/2021 at 10:19 AM, MikeT14 said:

@Woz you are reading it right re: the kicker. He can also waive it IIRC

Yes, I suspect he could, but I could only see him doing that if he was going to a likely "championship NOW" team. I mean to waive that would require him to leave $5-10M on the table as a parting gift from the Wizards.

The funny thing is that he likely would be more willing to waive a complete no-trade clause than the kicker because of the money he would earn.

On 3/31/2021 at 11:39 PM, turtle28 said:

Is that why when I try him in the ESPN trade machine thing it never seems to work even when the salaries the Wizards are getting back match up w/ what Beal’s salary is?

I have know clue if that’s true, just wondering what you thought about that.

I have no idea about their trade machine, but it's entirely possible. One thing to try is if you put the other team's sending salary at either $5M or $10M higher than what Beal's contract says it is. That would account for the kicker.

I was going to give my thoughts on how the Wizards might be able to break out of the "caught in the suck" spiral they're in, but realized that they squandered the opportunity when they re-signed Bertans.

Basically all they can hope for now is a top four pick, get that center out of USC (or some other true center), and ride out Beal and Westbrook's contracts (maybe hope that Russ passes on his player option to go to a team with a fighting chance of competing).

Yes, that effectively means letting everyone on the roster walk. Maybe not Deni, but yes to Rui. They need to get under the luxury tax threshold and then start building a team up with draft picks. No, not free agents because they won't be able to entice the top tier to come to DC because it's a tank effort and no not the mid tiers as they'll have to pay them like Bertans or Mahimni, which will take up cap space for overpaid players. Maybe some cheap vets, or short term deals.

They have no chance otherwise. And even this path is risky.

48 minutes ago, Woz said:

I have no idea about their trade machine, but it's entirely possible. One thing to try is if you put the other team's sending salary at either $5M or $10M higher than what Beal's contract says it is. That would account for the kicker.

Yeah, I think that worked actually when I was paying with the ESPN trade machine a few weeks ago in a trade w/ the Blazers where the Wiz would get back McCullough, picks & some other players.

31 minutes ago, Woz said:

I was going to give my thoughts on how the Wizards might be able to break out of the "caught in the suck" spiral they're in, but realized that they squandered the opportunity when they re-signed Bertans.

Basically all they can hope for now is a top four pick, get that center out of USC (or some other true center), and ride out Beal and Westbrook's contracts (maybe hope that Russ passes on his player option to go to a team with a fighting chance of competing).

Yes, that effectively means letting everyone on the roster walk. Maybe not Deni, but yes to Rui. They need to get under the luxury tax threshold and then start building a team up with draft picks. No, not free agents because they won't be able to entice the top tier to come to DC because it's a tank effort and no not the mid tiers as they'll have to pay them like Bertans or Mahimni, which will take up cap space for overpaid players. Maybe some cheap vets, or short term deals.

They have no chance otherwise. And even this path is risky.

Kind of been my argument for 5-6 years that they weren’t going to be much better than they were w/ Wall & Beal and I was fine w/ that & them riding out their careers with at best just winning one playoff series every year while competing in the 2nd round of the playoffs well and maybe sometime breaking through to the Eastern Conference finals if they got lucky and/or some breaks.

I don’t like what first Ernie & now Tommy & Brooks have done to this teams front court. It all started with Ernie trading Oubre after trading Porter - which was stupid - then, they had a massive hole at SF. They traded away Markief Morris too who, we can all agree isn’t great but he can be a stretch 4/5. Gortat was about done, I had no problem with moving on from him but I don’t think Thomas Bryant is an above average starter. Then not signing a 3 & D SF & not trading for or signing a defensive minded center & just giving the job to Bryant last December made no sense to me & none of the moves ever will make sense to me.

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t like what first Ernie & now Tommy & Brooks have done to this teams front court. It all started with Ernie trading Oubre after trading Porter - which was stupid - then, they had a massive hole at SF. They traded away Markief Morris too who, we can all agree isn’t great but he can be a stretch 4/5. Gortat was about done, I had no problem with moving on from him but I don’t think Thomas Bryant is an above average starter. Then not signing a 3 & D SF & not trading for or signing a defensive minded center & just giving the job to Bryant last December made no sense to me & none of the moves ever will make sense to me.

The Wizards foremost goal should be to get out of luxury tax zone. Then they could start taking on bad contracts for picks without having to get back equivalent salary to build for the future. Having Wall/Beal or Russ/Beal makes that somewhat difficult, but re-signing Bertans for five years made that impossible.

This is why a guy like Rui should be nice but irrelevant; by the time they are out from under Russ and Beal's contracts, Hachimura is going to be looking to get paid. If they were out of the give back zone for salary, they could trade Hachimura for a 1st round pick in the next year or so. I could even make an argument that they should be demo'ing Demi solely to trade him in 2023.

But Bertans's $16M/year prevents any of that from happening, so the only hopes they have are either build almost entirely through the draft (which requires more luck and losses) or that Westbrook gets so sick of playing here that he doesn't execute his player option for the 2022-23 season. Otherwise, more or less everyone under contract right now is wasted and isn't important for the long term plan of the franchise.

Oh, and they need to fire Scott Brooks. I don't see Tommy Shepherd as the issue. Given the situation he's found himself in, he's done a reasonably good job besides re-signing Bertans. The problem is that all of these moves are somewhat irrelevant due to the luxury tax.

Here's to the Wizards losing the rest of the way and having the ping pong balls break their way!

• Like 1