Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I read they traded Gill to the Pacers. Of course that doesn’t really change your point.

I definitely think Avdija can play as a point forward position on the 2nd unit, really that’s what best fits him and his skill set. I think Hutchinson can also play SG, he’s certainly athletic enough.

I don’t know what the Wizards are going to do at PG beyond Holiday. I have a Skins & Pacers fan from Indiana arguing with me on Twitter that Holiday is awful & should only be a back of the roster player which, I disagree with. I see Holiday as a young/inconsistent developing PG. 

As I told the dude on Twitter, If Ben Standing likes the trade, I like it. Plus, they didn’t lose anything by trading back. They were able to draft Isaiah Todd at 31 who’s arguably a better prospect than Isaiah Jackson who they originally took at 22.

So Holiday + Todd > Jackson.

I really hope the Wizards sign Dinwiddie or Schroeder. They’d be a good running mate for Beal. If not, bringing back Neto would be a good thing, then he, Holiday and Cassius Winston can battle it out for the starting PG spot. 

Yeah by how they drafted and the look of the roster it seems to look like they think they can nab a starting PG in FA, I just hope they don’t over pay. I’m not sure how much cap room we have now with all these trades but it doesn’t look like we are in Cap Hell anymore, and honestly it looks like all we really NEED to do in FA is get a PG, I don’t see a point in trying to get more players. I think there is like 17 on the roster now!

12 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Yeah by how they drafted and the look of the roster it seems to look like they think they can nab a starting PG in FA, I just hope they don’t over pay. I’m not sure how much cap room we have now with all these trades but it doesn’t look like we are in Cap Hell anymore, and honestly it looks like all we really NEED to do in FA is get a PG, I don’t see a point in trying to get more players. I think there is like 17 on the roster now!

Maybe they’re putting themselves in position to make a trade for a PG. Either way, definitely need to add a PG whether it’s signing one in FA like Schroder, just re-signing Neto or trading for a PG like Ball or Dinwiddie. I definitely expect them to do something at PG. Holiday may be able to start but he’s better off being a back up. Beal could be the PG w/ KCP starting at SG, we’ll just have to see.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe they’re putting themselves in position to make a trade for a PG. Either way, definitely need to add a PG whether it’s signing one in FA like Schroder or Dinwiddie, just re-signing Neto or trading for a PG, I do expect them to do something. Holiday may be able to start, or Beal could be the PG w/ KCP starting at SG, we’ll just have to see.

I don’t think Holliday starts, don’t think he’s good enough to honestly, but he’s still a developing player, on the defensive end he is great!

i see them going after Dinwiddie, but once again I hope the money is right

6 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I don’t think Holliday starts, don’t think he’s good enough to honestly, but he’s still a developing player, on the defensive end he is great!

i see them going after Dinwiddie, but once again I hope the money is right

Yeah, I’d love to get Dinwiddie, I just hope his knee is recovering well. Always tricky signing or drafting players coming off many injuries. Maybe we get him for cheaper because of it. Maybe he only signs a one year deal bc of it and then if he’s playing well we can extend him during the year & Beal if they like playing together and the team is winning?

That’d be cool.

Russell Westbrook deal could lead Nets' Spencer Dinwiddie to Wizards  

https://nypost.com/2021/07/30/russell-westbrook-deal-could-lead-nets-spencer-dinwiddie-to-wizards/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons via @nypostsports 

“The Wizards are reportedly eyeing Spencer Dinwiddie, with the Nets free agent point guard potentially in the mix to get moved in a sign-and-trade.

While Washington shipped Westbrook to the Lakers, joining LeBron James and Anthony Davis in a Big Three to rival Brooklyn’s, the deal could have other implications for the Nets. Kyle Kuzma and Montrezl Harrell could be rerouted to the Nets in order to acquire Dinwiddie, according to BetMGM.”

Edited by turtle28

Very good point. They will have a lot of shooters this year if they keep all these guys. You add them to Bertans, Bryant and hopefully an improved Rui as a 3-pt shooter and it could be a great shooting team.

If they add Dinwiddie, he’s not a great 3-or shooter but is great at everything else, while bringing back Neto and/or signing Schroder could bring even more 3-pt shooting.

I don't even know where to start with this trade. Obviously I love it.

THANK YOU RUSS. While I don't think Russ plays winning basketball, he put up huge #s, and that is what drove up his value... and that is what led to this haul. I simply don't know how he'll co-exist with Bron and AD in LA. I just can't see it. Credit to NBC Sports Washington for this. But the Wall-Russ-Lakers trade... "One way is they initially got a first round pick back, effectively canceling out the one they attached with Wall to get Westbrook. Another is that they took a contract no one thought was tradeable in Wall's and nine months later turned it into four rotation players and a second round pick, Isaiah Todd of G-League Ignite." Credit Tommy Shepherd and Russ Westbrook for the bolded. And, of course, that supermax is GONE.

I also read that Bertans was available. If the Wiz can shed that contract, I would be ecstatic. Couple that with Kispert draft pick and I'm even more excited. Yeah, I'll take a Joe Harris + comp any day. If we can't move Bertans, I just hope he returns to form. Add in KCP, and the Wizards' 3pt shooting woes MAY be over. Beal needs to be better in that respect too BTW.

From there, we have a logjam at forward/center. Will we see another trade? 

Avdija is the most intriguing Wizard. Deni needs the ball in his hands to create. I want to see a lot more of that this year. I like Rui. But Rui may be soft in the paint. He has to bulk up, play tougher, OR ship out. I've always been a Harrell fan. Tough. Plays defense well. Rebounds. Gafford was intriguing last year. A healthy Bryant has always been a bucket. He was developing nicely. Another trade, if it happens, may be at PF.

What's nice about all of this is they went from a financial strapped team to a financially flexible team with a few tradeable assets. The latter can be capitalized now into a free agent signing or wait until 2022. 

Couple players I like in free agency (all restricted unfortunately):

- Lonzo Ball
- John Collins
- Jarrett Allen

Looking at the 2022 class, I'd rather add now honestly. And, no, I'm still not out on a Beal trade. Although I think these pieces fit much better around him.

• Like 1

I’m thinking the Wizards would be better off signing one of the PGs who aren’t going to be the most expensive rather than throwing possibly bad $ at Dinwiddie coming off his ACL injury, bad $ at Schroder or trading for Lonzo Ball.

There are other PGs we could sign who are young and who can come in and start like Cam Payne (Suns). 

Cam Payne shot 44% from 3 last year & his per 36 is: 17 ppg, 7 assists & 5 rebs per game.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

If Rui slots in to be the Wizards second option and gets the shots that Russ took last year he’s going to average around 25 ppg IMO. Russ shot 19 ppg last year. If Rui shoots that much at his efficiency rate he’s going to score in the mid 20’s ppg. 

You gotta love it!