Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Trading Beal for Klay Thompson does not save the Wizards any money.  In fact for the 2022-2023 season Thompson is more expensive than Beal (Thompson is $43.2 mil Beal is $36.4 mil).  Beyond that season Beal is a FA and will want a 5-year $242 mil max extension, or an average of $48.4 mil per season. Generally Year 1 is the lowest cap hit so it may be more in the $42-43 mil range in 2023-2024 season.  Thompson that year makes $43.2 mil so its likely a wash.  Then Thompson is a FA after that and will want a ton of money at 35 years old.  

Trading Bradley Beal for Klay Thompson makes no sense. 

Ok find another player to trade for that does make sense.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

There's no "win now" move in trading Beal. If you want to trade Beal you need to get young players on rookie deals and draft picks.  Blow up the roster and rebuild.  

So you don't call Minnesota to see if they are willing to take Beal now for Edwards possibly? Denver for Porter and others? Help me out. We seem to agree Beal shouldn't get the SuperMax. I'm just saying they don't seem to be interested in this path. They want to keep him and stay mediocre while paying him that type of money. 

9 minutes ago, DCNative said:

So you don't call Minnesota to see if they are willing to take Beal now for Edwards possibly?

I dunno if Minnesota would want to do that. Edwards is trending way up and cheaper. I'd much rather have him. You'd have to probably take Russell and Edwards for Beal, Kuzma and whatever else. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I dunno if Minnesota would want to do that. Edwards is trending way up and cheaper. I'd much rather have him. You'd have to probably take Russell and Edwards for Beal, Kuzma and whatever else. 

Then again maybe they do. Beal is a Vet that would be the selling point to get Edwards. I wasn't including Russell.  Russell would stay in Minnesota. 

17 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Then again maybe they do. Beal is a Vet that would be the selling point to get Edwards. I wasn't including Russell.  Russell would stay in Minnesota. 

Minnesota apparently wants to trade Russell and it might be the only way to make any salaries or a deal work. 

4 minutes ago, DCNative said:

So you don't call Minnesota to see if they are willing to take Beal now for Edwards possibly?

Minnesota would hang up the phone and laugh. 

21 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Denver for Porter and others?

Porter has some majority injury concerns and he's more of a catch & shoot player than a guy who creates his own shot. Pairing him with Porzingis would be super risky from an injury perspective you could have both of your top players out for long stretches. 

22 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Help me out. We seem to agree Beal shouldn't get the SuperMax. I'm just saying they don't seem to be interested in this path. They want to keep him and stay mediocre while paying him that type of money. 

Ideally you'd trade him to get into the top 3 picks of this class but I don't think that's realistic.  Unless they could make a trade up to 4 then swap 4 for 1 I think Orlando would say no.  OKC and the Rockets are too far away from competing to want Beal. 

If you were going to trade with the Warriors Jordan Poole would be the player you'd want.  Ask for Poole and Wiseman, that would be a good return for the Wizards but honestly I think the Warriors would say no as they can resign Poole for cheaper than Beal and he isn't that much worse than Beal. 

Brooklyn would probably be interested, not sure if the Wizards would want Ben Simmons but that is a trade Brooklyn would probably do. Brooklyn would probably have to thrown in some picks. 

Cleveland may be interested, not sure about his fit next to Darius Garland though.  Also I'm not sure what they could offer than the Wizards want, maybe Isaac Okoro, Collin Sexton in sign and trade and picks?  That doesn't seem like enough. 

I'm sure the Knicks would want Beal but I'm not sure what they could offer.  Doubt they'd offer RJ Barrett but if they put him in the discussion I'd be all over that. RJ Barrett, Julius Randle, Kemba Walker (as salary filler) and maybe a future first probably gets it done.  That's probably a solid trade for the Wizards. 

Orlando could maybe want to consolidate their players to put around their new #1 pick.  Jon Isaac, Jalen Suggs & RJ Hampton plus maybe picks 32 & 35?  Would give the Wizards two really young guard prospects still on rookie contracts, a reclamation project in Isaac who's a defensive wizard (no pun intended) on the wing when healthy and a couple of 2nd round picks. 

If the Lakers call you just hang up and laugh. 

Total darkhorse, but if the Pelicans know Zion will not resign in NO and they're willing to listen to trade offers you absolutely put together a package for him IMO. Wizards would probably be outbid for him by someone else though. 

Donovan Mitchell may be available after the Jazz lost yet again in the playoffs, but it sounds more like they are going to shop Rudy and build around Mitchell.  The problem with Mitchell is that he's going to give you all of the same problems Beal does, a guy that can score a lot that plays bad defense. 

I think the Heat would be interested but they don't really have the contracts to match up for an offer. 

Minnesota is the same, unless you could find a 3rd team to take Deangelo Russell back.  The Timberwolves don't have a lot to offer in a trade though. 

Dallas could use a running mate for Luka but they don't have much to offer. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Minnesota would hang up the phone and laugh. 

I am thinking that, unless you take Russell too then they may AT LEAST talk about it. 

Brooklyn would probably be interested, not sure if the Wizards would want Ben Simmons but that is a trade Brooklyn would probably do. Brooklyn would probably have to thrown in some picks. 

Ugh, lol. 

Cleveland may be interested, not sure about his fit next to Darius Garland though.  Also I'm not sure what they could offer than the Wizards want, maybe Isaac Okoro, Collin Sexton in sign and trade and picks?  That doesn't seem like enough. 

Agreed. 

I'm sure the Knicks would want Beal but I'm not sure what they could offer.  Doubt they'd offer RJ Barrett but if they put him in the discussion I'd be all over that. RJ Barrett, Julius Randle, Kemba Walker (as salary filler) and maybe a future first probably gets it done.  That's probably a solid trade for the Wizards. 

Hmmm.... I'm listening.

Orlando could maybe want to consolidate their players to put around their new #1 pick.  Jon Isaac, Jalen Suggs & RJ Hampton plus maybe picks 32 & 35?  Would give the Wizards two really young guard prospects still on rookie contracts, a reclamation project in Isaac who's a defensive wizard (no pun intended) on the wing when healthy and a couple of 2nd round picks. 

I've really hated their drafts. Not too interested in them. 

If the Lakers call you just hang up and laugh. 

Yes. 

Donovan Mitchell may be available after the Jazz lost yet again in the playoffs, but it sounds more like they are going to shop Rudy and build around Mitchell.  The problem with Mitchell is that he's going to give you all of the same problems Beal does, a guy that can score a lot that plays bad defense. 

I floated this in the NBA forum but it kinda went nowhere. 

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I am thinking that, unless you take Russell too then they may AT LEAST talk about it. 

Edwards looks like a legitimate Franchise player, which for a franchise like Minnesota is impossible to find. You don't trade someone like that unless the player forces you to. 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Trading Beal for Klay Thompson does not save the Wizards any money.  In fact for the 2022-2023 season Thompson is more expensive than Beal (Thompson is $43.2 mil Beal is $36.4 mil).  Beyond that season Beal is a FA and will want a 5-year $242 mil max extension, or an average of $48.4 mil per season. Generally Year 1 is the lowest cap hit so it may be more in the $42-43 mil range in 2023-2024 season.  Thompson that year makes $43.2 mil so its likely a wash.  Then Thompson is a FA after that and will want a ton of money at 35 years old.  

Trading Bradley Beal for Klay Thompson makes no sense. 

After Thompson’s injuries the last few years & his age, he’s not going to get a contract that will pay him what Beal’s next contract is going to pay him of $48.4 mil a year. So, it would save the Wiz $ in the long run of 5 to $15 mil per year for say a 3 year contract extension for Klay.

I’d be willing to bet that Klay’s next contract is a 3 year $100 million deal. Beal’s next contract for us would be  5 year $242 mil deal. So, I’m not sure where you come up with the conclusion that trading for Klay & a pick or player isn’t saving the Wiz $ in the long run.

The deal to be made was Beal to Golden State and they sat on him instead. Avdeji, Kispert and Rui Hachimura should all be available as well. Honestly, I have no idea why Tommy Sheppard still has this job? He hasn’t been an improvement from Ernie and has pretty much continued his lackluster drafting and inability to sway stars. This will always be a problem with Ted. 

• Like 1