Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

On 5/22/2022 at 9:35 AM, lavar703 said:

The deal to be made was Beal to Golden State and they sat on him instead. Avdija, Kispert and Rui Hachimura should all be available as well. Honestly, I have no idea why Tommy Sheppard still has this job?

He hasn’t been an improvement from Ernie and has pretty much continued his lackluster drafting and inability to sway stars. This will always be a problem with Ted. 

The Office Reaction GIF

They should’ve traded Beal for some of the Warriors players as you said before Beal got hurt. Taking back Wiggins’s contract, one of their rookies (Kuminga or Moody) or Jordan Poole w/ Picks for Beal would’ve been the move. It’s gone now though. They probably won’t ever trade Beal, he’s coming off the wrist surgery & he’s going to get the contract extension, unlikely someone will trade for his contract once he signs it.

I 100% agree that Shepherd hasn’t been an improvement over Ernie & if you remember while I wanted Ernie fired, I was worried the next GM we got wouldn’t be an improvement & Shepherd hasn’t even gotten us a winning playoff series yet & only 1 playoff appearance as the 8th seed in 3 years is not good enough. 

Tommy needs to hit this draft pick/off-season out of the park this year. He also needs Beal, KP & Kuz to stay healthy and he a big 3 for us that leads us to the playoffs & really he needs a playoff series win.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The Office Reaction GIF

They should’ve traded Beal for some of the Warriors players as you said before Beal got hurt. Taking back Wiggins’s contract, one of their rookies (Kuminga or Moody) or Jordan Poole w/ Picks for Beal would’ve been the move. It’s gone now though. They probably won’t ever trade Beal, he’s coming off the wrist surgery & he’s going to get the contract extension, unlikely someone will trade for his contract once he signs it.

I 100% agree that Shepherd hasn’t been an improvement over Ernie & if you remember while I wanted Ernie fired, I was worried the next GM we got wouldn’t be an improvement & Shepherd hasn’t gotten us a winning playoff series yet & only 1 playoff appearance as the 8th seed in 3 years is not good enough. 

Tommy needs to his this draft pick out of the park this year. He also needs Beal, KP & Kuz to stay healthy and he a big 3 for us that leads us to the playoffs & really he needs a playoff series win.

It seems Shepherd is getting played by Beal. I could see Beal really wanting to be traded to be part of a Big 3 but staying here only because of the SuperMax he gets here. I agree as well Beal should've been traded. I don't want Simmons but I'd love to have Kyrie. He no doubt could replace Beal's scoring and imo be more efficient at that than Beal. Simmons, Beal, KD is something I think the Nets would consider. 

6 hours ago, DCNative said:

It seems Shepherd is getting played by Beal. I could see Beal really wanting to be traded to be part of a Big 3 but staying here only because of the SuperMax he gets here. I agree as well Beal should've been traded. I don't want Simmons but I'd love to have Kyrie. He no doubt could replace Beal's scoring and imo be more efficient at that than Beal. Simmons, Beal, KD is something I think the Nets would consider. 

Shepherd isn’t getting played. It’s just that Ted wants Beal re-signed & to be the face of the franchise. Beal is a great person, there’s nothing wrong with him being the fact the franchise but I think we all agree he’s a #2 or even 3 in this league, he’s not a #1 you can’t build a franchise around him or a championship contender. The best you can hope for is to get a lot of other #2s & 3s & be the Suns or Clippers like when they had Chris Paul.

Right now Beal, KP & Kuz make up a solid top 3, but I don’t think it’s a top 3 that wins us a playoff series. I think we’re a 40-45 win team & that’s if they all stay healthy which they rarely all 3 do.

It’d be nice if Deni, Kispert or Rui really took a leap forward this year to be a lights out 6th man or even starting SF while averaging 15 plus ppg. we need one or all of those 3 to step up. They’ve all showed flashes, Rui’s showed the most, they need to play him more at SF w/ Kuz than just at PF I think to see how that looks. I wanted to see that last year.

• 2 weeks later...

How can the Wizards get Donovan Mitchell?

A Mitchell/Beal backcourt could be special! Obviously trade Porzingis & what else?

Definitely the 10th & a future pick? Plus they’d have to trade one of their young forwards like Deni, Kispert or Rui?

What other players? Kuzma?

Taking Bogdanovic back?

PG: Mitchell, Ish Smith

SG: Beal, KCP

SF: Bogdanovic, Deni

PF: Rui, Anthony Gill

C : Gafford, Bryant 

17 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Mitchell and Beal would probably be the worst defensive Guard pairing in the nba. 

Maybe so, but they’d be a top 5 guard pairing. Last time we had that we were knocking on the eastern conference finals door every other year. People took that for granted, getting Mitchell gets us back there especially if we got Bogdanovic back & Rui developed more as a consistent stretch 4. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m already annoyed by this draft. All the guys I’ve had interest in — Ivey, Mathurin, Daniels, Sharpe — are going to come off the board within basically 5 picks of us. I’m just not that interested in any of the guys that look to be sliding, like Davis (who I like okay but is basically just poor man’s Beal) or Griffin or Agbaji or Sochan (who the draftniks all love for whatever reason).

At this point, the Malcolm Brogdon idea seems more and more appealing. They could do something like KCP + Ish Smith (salary filler) + #10 for Brogdon and #31. That would work salary-wise, and I think it’s reasonably close to working pick-wise as well.

Brogdon + Beal + Porzingis with Kuz/Rui/Deni/Kispert filling the forward spots might be the best 2022 team they could possibly put out there. If they’re going to pay Beal $45M/year, they might as well try to be as good as they can while they have him — there’s not much sense in being a rebuilding team with a super-max player. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m already annoyed by this draft. All the guys I’ve had interest in — Ivey, Mathurin, Daniels, Sharpe — are going to come off the board within basically 5 picks of us. I’m just not that interested in any of the guys that look to be sliding, like Davis (who I like okay but is basically just poor man’s Beal) or Griffin or Agbaji or Sochan (who the draftniks all love for whatever reason).

At this point, the Malcolm Brogdon idea seems more and more appealing. They could do something like KCP + Ish Smith (salary filler) + #10 for Brogdon and #31. That would work salary-wise, and I think it’s reasonably close to working pick-wise as well.

Brogdon + Beal + Porzingis with Kuz/Rui/Deni/Kispert filling the forward spots might be the best 2022 team they could possibly put out there. If they’re going to pay Beal $45M/year, they might as well try to be as good as they can while they have him — there’s not much sense in being a rebuilding team with a super-max player. 

Season 2 Agree GIF by Paramount+

32 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Per Woj, they consider Johnny Davis their “future PG.”

Not much says “modern NBA PG” to me like 32% 3pt shooter and more turnovers than assists in his college career.

Yeah, I can’t believe Woj said he was a PG. Anyone who watched a lick of college basketball knows Johnny Davis is a SG.

I actually don’t hate the pick, he has always reminded me a lot of Beal. The issue we have is we still need a PG. I hope we sign a decent one like Tyus Jones when FA starts.