Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

23 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Wall's teammates didn't like him.

Rui knew how to use a bath mat. Wall didn't. 

Yeah bc the wizards have a bunch of soft players. Wall was the heart of the team, when he left they’ve been on a downward spiral ever since & so has the attendance at Cap One. Hopefully Beal, KP & Kuz can change that. Kuz has become much more fan favorite than the over paid & often injured Beal.

Edited by turtle28

The Wizards are so pathetic.  They are apparently gearing up to extend Kuzma and Avdija in the offseason which with Beal and Porzingis will essentially cap them out from making any major moves.  So their strategy is to maintain the current roster that is 20-26, 12th in the East.  Thank god I don't follow this team like I do WFT or I would be super depressed by this.  This franchise is going nowhere, they have no long term gameplan at all. 

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The Wizards are so pathetic.  They are apparently gearing up to extend Kuzma and Avdija in the offseason which with Beal and Porzingis will essentially cap them out from making any major moves.  So their strategy is to maintain the current roster that is 20-26, 12th in the East.  Thank god I don't follow this team like I do WFT or I would be super depressed by this.  This franchise is going nowhere, they have no long term gameplan at all. 

Yep, just really bad. That is an awful approach.

What they should be doing is sitting Beal until he’s 110%, and sitting KP until he’s 110%, and finding a trade partner for Kuzma (and Morris?) ASAP. 

Right now, they’re sitting at #6 in the draft order. More than halfway into the season. They have a legitimate shot at sliding into one of the picks that will become Wembanyama or Scoot, and they should do what it takes to hold onto that position. 

The only chance to win meaningfully with Beal on that contract is to find an affordable player who is as good as or better than Beal. Those come around very rarely. When you’re past the midway point, and you’re closer to a top 5 pick than the dumb play-in games, it’s time to get realistic and start playing for the future.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, e16bball said:

What they should be doing is sitting Beal until he’s 110%, and sitting KP until he’s 110%, and finding a trade partner for Kuzma (and Morris?) ASAP. 

Right now, they’re sitting at #6 in the draft order. More than halfway into the season. They have a legitimate shot at sliding into one of the picks that will become Wembanyama or Scoot, and they should do what it takes to hold onto that position. 

The only chance to win meaningfully with Beal on that contract is to find an affordable player who is as good as or better than Beal. Those come around very rarely. When you’re past the midway point, and you’re closer to a top 5 pick than the dumb play-in games, it’s time to get realistic and start playing for the future.

Ya, with 20 games won already I doubt you could get into the top 3 of the lottery to get the 14% chance, but the Magic are trying to win games and only 2.5 games back of the Wizards.  Having them leapfrog the Wizards would improve lottery odds from 9.0% to 10.5%. 5 is probably the highest odds they will get.  The top 4 all are actively trying to lose and already have a 7+ game lead in the losing department. 

Unfortunately they are much more likely to go the other direction.  They're only 3 games out of the play in tournament and could push themselves out of the lottery altogether.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Just to play devils advocate here, so we really think if they trade Kuz/can’t re-sign him that they’re going to find a better player?

I'm sorry, I’m not buying it. Kuz has on most nights been their best player. You have 3 guys averaging over 20 ppg which has never happened for this franchise & ever since they inserted Gaff into the starting line up for his D & rebounding moving KP to PF & Kuz to SF their D has gotten better bc of their length in the front court of 6’9, 7’3 &  6’10.

What they obviously need to do is find an upgrade at PG somehow. Hopefully Kendrick Nunn can get back to his pre-bone bruise of 2021 from bc in 2019 & 2020 he was a 15-point scorer. If we get that Nunn then we’ll have an upgrade at PG & it improves our depth bc Monte Morris will be our back up PG, Delon Wright back up SG, Kispert back up SG/SF, Deni back up SF/PF.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Just to play devils advocate here, so we really think if they trade Kuz/can’t re-sign him that they’re going to find a better player?

I'm sorry, I’m not buying it. Kuz has on most nights been their best player. You have 3 guys averaging over 20 ppg which has never happened for this franchise & ever since they inserted Gaff into the starting line up for his D & rebounding moving KP to PF & Kuz to SF their D has gotten better bc of their length in the front court of 6’9, 7’3 &  6’10.

What they obviously need to do is find an upgrade at PG somehow. Hopefully Kendrick Nunn can get back to his pre-bone bruise of 2021 from bc in 2019 & 2020 he was a 15-point scorer. If we get that Nunn then we’ll have an upgrade at PG & it improves our depth bc Monte Morris will be our back up PG, Delon Wright back up SG, Kispert back up SG/SF, Deni back up SF/PF.

But that’s not the point. It’s not about trading Kuzma for a better player. 

It’s about recognizing that the team as constructed is a purgatory roster. Too much talent to have a real shot at Wemby or Scoot, not nearly good enough to make any noise. In the NBA, you have to be willing to get worse in order to eventually get better. Cutting Kuzma loose in a similar fashion to Rui would allow us to (a) grab some future assets that could prove useful and (b) give his minutes to some spud from the G League team who will help ensure that we remain within shouting distance of a chance to pick a true blue-chip player. 

Bringing back all these guys on long-term, even more expensive deals gives you a nearly 100% chance of ending up exactly where we’ve been for years (and will probably end up again this year): picking 10th.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Great, a team that will stay as a 7 to 10 seed in perpetuity. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

But that’s not the point. It’s not about trading Kuzma for a better player. 

It’s about recognizing that the team as constructed is a purgatory roster. Too much talent to have a real shot at Wemby or Scoot, not nearly good enough to make any noise. In the NBA, you have to be willing to get worse in order to eventually get better. Cutting Kuzma loose in a similar fashion to Rui would allow us to (a) grab some future assets that could prove useful and (b) give his minutes to some spud from the G League team who will help ensure that we remain within shouting distance of a chance to pick a true blue-chip player. 

Bringing back all these guys on long-term, even more expensive deals gives you a nearly 100% chance of ending up exactly where we’ve been for years (and will probably end up again this year): picking 10th.

They’re not getting those Wemby (Hou) or Scoot (Pistons) as long as Beal in the roster to carry this team to 30-35 win with or without KP & Kuz and you and I both know it. And no, Ted is not trading Beal unless Beal demands it and it doesn’t seem like that’s something he’s ever going to do bc he likes being the teams #1 option even if they’re just mediocre and if he went to almost any other team in the league he’d be their #2 option, maybe even their #3 option, but no other team is taking back is awful contract.

Need I remind everyone that is 2019 when Wall was out for the year - before we traded for Westbrook the summer of 2020 - that Beal carried this team & would’ve had them in the play-in game if it existed back then.

In 2019, Bertans was our #2 option scoring 15 ppg & Rui as a rookie was our #3 option scoring 13 ppg & Beal had us in play-in contention.

I just don’t see any way this team is getting a top 5 pick w/ Beal on the roster & he’s going to be on the roster probably for the rest of his career.

If KP & Kuz are traded that just means that Beal will get more shots like in 2019 & 2020. In 2019 & 2020 Beal took 7 more shots a game than he’s taking now. If Beal was shooting the same % that he is now from 2 pointers & 3 pointers plus getting the same amount of free throws as he was in 2019 & 20 he’d be top 5 in scoring like both of those two years. So, even if KP & Kuz are traded, I don’t foresee a scenario where this team is picking top 5 w/ Beal on it.

PG: Nunn: 15 pts, 4 assists, 3 rebs

Morris: 9 pts, 4 assists, 2 rebs

SG: Beal: 31 pts, 5 assists, 4 rebs

Wright: 7 pts, 4 assists, 3 rebs

SF: Kispert: 12 pts, 3 asts, 5 rebs

* whoever we’d get back for KP/Kuz

PF: Deni: 10 pts, 7 rebs, 3 asts

* whoever we’d get back for KP/Kuz

C : Gafford: 12 pts, 2 asts, 10 rebs, 2 blocks

* Presumably we’d get back some PF/C prospects if we’re trading Kuz & KP. 

Maybe Deni starts at PF over one of them ??

Regardless, I think they’re still a team that gets 30-35 wins and is drafting in the latter part of the lottery, not in the top 5, mostly bc of Beal’s 30-35 ppg.