Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I that was more Ted saying no than Tommy. Tommy was just doing what Ted wanted. We're going to stay mid bc Ted won't blow up the team while he still has Beal. Now, if Beal asks for a trade, then I think Ted will rebuild.

I'd buy that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Can’t wait to see which one of Sheppards assistants Ted will make the new GM…

It's been reported that Ted will hire from outside the organization, hopefully someone who works for the Warriors, Celtics, Nuggets, Grizzlies etc who've built good/great teams through the draft.

I think for doing what he was asked to do, Sheppard did it well.  Not many GMs would have been able to work some of the crazy cap deals here.  

One has to wonder if the Capitals could have won more Cups with a hands-off owner, seeing how Leonsis has definitely pushed into the Wizards operations, and what he might do with the Nats if he does end up as the buyer.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think for doing what he was asked to do, Sheppard did it well.  Not many GMs would have been able to work some of the crazy cap deals here.  

One has to wonder if the Capitals could have won more Cups with a hands-off owner, seeing how Leonsis has definitely pushed into the Wizards operations, and what he might do with the Nats if he does end up as the buyer.  

Ernie was more successful, enough said

Any thought to trading Gafford for Tyus Jones or Cameron Payne & also trading Morris away to clear up some cap room and to find us a better PG?

We have Huff who can be a back up C. He is a stretch 5 and played good D & is a good shot blocker; he was the GLeague’s defensive player of the year.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Any thought to trading Gafford for Tyus Jones or Cameron Payne & also trading Morris away to clear up some cap room and to find us a better PG?

We have Huff who can be a back up C. He is a stretch 5 and played good D & is a good shot blocker; he was the GLeague’s defensive player of the year.

I’m down for trading Gafford, if I’m not mistaken his salary goes way up this year compared to what it was

4 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I’m down for trading Gafford, if I’m not mistaken his salary goes way up this year compared to what it was

Yeah, people have been suggesting we need to trade him on Twitter, like the most active Wizards Twitter accounts. I was against it at first bc I really like Gff but Jay Huff did play well, and if we could get a starting PG out of it and then move Morris for a back up player then I’d be worth it IMO.

His contract goes up to $12.5 in 2023, then $13 mil in 24 & $14 mil in 25. If we can move him for a PG like Tyus Jones, Cam Payne or Davion Mitchell (Sac) young PG that’d be cool.

I’d also like to sign Trey Lyles as a back up PF. He’s been pretty solid as a back up PF/C for the Kings. 

• 3 weeks later...

So after not being able to move up in the lottery it's looking like the best choices for the Wizards will likely be:

• Jarace Walker, PF, 6’8, 240 pounds

• Cam Whitmore, SF/PF, 6’7, 230 pounds

• Grady D*ck, SG/SF, 6’7, 200 pounds

• Taylor Hendricks, PF (been compared to Antawn Jamison), 6’9, 210 pounds 

• Cason Wallace, PG, 6’4, 190 pounds

• Brice Sensebaugh, SF/PF, 6’6, 235 pounds

This is a tough one for me with Anthony Black likely going a few picks in front of us this year like Dyson Daniels did last year. I want us to draft a PG and that'd be Cason Wallace but, I hate not taking the BPA in the NBA draft, it's definitely not a good strategy to draft for need and not BPA.

We keep getting stuck in this middle to end of the lottery spot where all the prospects are wing players but we’re missing out on the best PG prospects thus, we haven't been able to replace John Wall & then Westbrook with a younger PG bc the best 2 prospects in each of the last 5 drafts were gone by when we picked.

So the question is, do you just go BPA which could be a kind of redundant player to Deni, Kispert and Kuz if he's re-signed?

Or, do you maybe take the 5th BPA in Cason Wallace but fill the teams biggest need of PG?

It's a tough question. I'm leaning towards just saying screw it and take Cason Wallace even if he might be a slightly lesser prospect than the few guys ahead of him, especially if we re-sign Kuz to he our starting SF/PF.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s absolutely brutal. The one chance this team had to matter any time soon was to get lucky and somehow land a franchise cornerstone superstar that would move Beal to the #2 role that he’s much closer to being able to occupy on a good team.

As this “Adam Banig” said, that’s the story of this team. Close to mattering…but not quite.

• Like 1