Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

2 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

My conspiracy theory is the following - We've heard quite a few quotes from Ted and Beal about not tanking and trying to make the playoffs. I think Beal told Ernie/Ted that he'll stick with this team SO LONG AS THEY ARE COMPETITIVE. So that set Ernie's marching orders. And that's why we are where we are.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I definitely agree with your conspiracy theory. Beal wasn't going to stay on a rebuilding team that was tanking, I totally agree he said I won't ask for a trade as long as you get pieces we can build with in any trade you make.

Then the smart play was to sell Beal.

The Wizards are not going to be competitive in any real way for the rest of this season and next with Wall's contract around their necks. It is an open question whether Wall will ever be close to his old self after these injuries. They need to tank and rebuild since they've basically burned through all of their seed corn over the past decade with trading away picks for dwindling resources. If Leonsis ever wants the Wizards to even reach the pre-Stanley Cup Capitals level (always in the playoffs as a high seed, but come up short ... not because of a weak Eastern Conference but because they are good on a absolute level), he needs to keep all of the picks they have and try to get more. Aiming to make the playoffs with the squad as it is currently constructed is going to keep them just on this edge of misery (maybe sneak in, only to get destroyed, or just miss and then get scraps during the draft).

And... That's why we traded Porter for Parker and Portis. Here's to the hope that they're both on the Wizards next year. If it were me, it’d be bye Ariza & bye Green in favor of retaining Parker & Portis. Ariza & Green can get on the first flight to LA as far as I'm concerned. I'm still miffed they weren't traded for Josh Hart or Mortiz Wagner (for Jeff Green) and KCP (for Ariza).

I agree with SkinsWin though, they kept them bc Beal said he wouldn't demand a trade if they kept them and still try to make the playoffs.

I mean Jabari dunking on Otto is exactly my feeling of what the Wizards need vs what they traded away. Otto allowing someone to drive right by him and go up for a dunk while Otto didn't even foul him is soft. Otto is a versatile player, but he’s not aggressive enough. I'm glad we got Parker and Porter, two aggressive bigs that can rebound and stretch the floor as a stretch 4 & stretch 5. 

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

And... That's why we traded Porter for Parker and Portis. Here's to the hope that they're both on the Wizards next year. If it were me, it’d be bye Ariza & bye Green in favor of retaining Parker & Portis. Ariza & Green can get on the first flight to LA as far as I'm concerned. I'm still miffed they weren't traded for Josh Hart or Mortiz Wagner (for Jeff Green) and KCP (for Ariza).

I agree with SkinsWin though, they kept them bc Beal said he wouldn't demand a trade if they kept them and still try to make the playoffs.

I mean Jabari dunking on Otto is exactly my feeling of what the Wizards need vs what they traded away. Otto allowing someone to drive right by him and go up for a dunk while Otto didn't even foul him is soft. Otto is a versatile player, but he’s not aggressive enough. I'm glad we got Parker and Porter, two aggressive bigs that can rebound and stretch the floor as a stretch 4 & stretch 5. 

It's funny because you're not able to send the end game in this. You just see two games.

The Bulls are better positioned to compete, in the years ahead, before the Wiz. Wall's contract, as I've said for a few years now, is a cap killer.

Right now, the Wiz are right at the $109M projected salary cap.

Parker has a $20M team option for next year. He's gone.

Players they could re-sign with that money:

-Sato
-Green
-Ariza
-Bryant
-Portis
-Decker
-Randle

Tell me who you're re-signing. It's widely reported Portis wants $16M. So how is that gonna work?

Net game - both guys walk. The Wiz spend $20M re-signing Sato, Bryant, Ariza, Green, others. If they're lucky.

10 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

It's funny because you're not able to send the end game in this. You just see two games.

The Bulls are better positioned to compete, in the years ahead, before the Wiz. Wall's contract, as I've said for a few years now, is a cap killer.

Right now, the Wiz are right at the $109M projected salary cap.

Parker has a $20M team option for next year. He's gone.

Players they could re-sign with that money:

-Sato
-Green
-Ariza
-Bryant
-Portis
-Decker
-Randle

Tell me who you're re-signing. It's widely reported Portis wants $16M. So how is that gonna work?

Net game - both guys walk. The Wiz spend $20M re-signing Sato, Bryant, Ariza, Green, others. If they're lucky.

Portis is a restricted free agent so, they can match. I would trade Mahinmi’s expiring contract to a team that wants a reserve big and cap space for the 2021 offseason.

I clearly said I wouldn’t re-sign Ariza & Green who will probably cost $20-25 million combined. Honestly, I don’t think they have a shot st re-signing either of them, I think they’re going to the Lakers to play with Lebron, which is why we definitely should’ve traded them there for a few of the Lakers’ young prospects. And, with that $ I’m keeping Parker.

The Wizards current cap space for next season is $90.5 million including Parker. That givens them $19 million to re-sign guys before the luxury tax kicks in. 

Sadly, they might have to lose Bryant and Dekker. I don’t see how you don’t keep Sato, Parker and Portis out of that group. Two versatile bigs and a versatile PG who has the size to play SG/SF too. 

I love Bryant but he might be the odd man out unless they want to go into the luxury tax for him, and I’m not sure they do that but they may bc he’s already solid and will only get better. Plus, he’s not the reason they'd be in the luxury tax, that’d be bc of Wall.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I wonder if Sato would take a deal like Indy gave to BoBuckets.

• 2 years, $20 million.

I don’t think Sato would re-sign here if Wall was healthy, but since Wall isn’t, he may sign a one year or two year deal to show case his talents more next to Beal and hopefully with most of the front court we currently have and then get bigger contract offers in two years if he plays well.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:30 AM, Skinsin2013 said:

He can want $16M all he wants. He's a RFA, so he's getting $3.6 for 2019. Now, 2020? That's a different ball of wax.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

He can want $16M all he wants. He's a RFA, so he's getting $3.6 for 2019. Now, 2020? That's a different ball of wax.

That's not how NBA RFA works, he can go out and talk to other teams all he wants.  If they offer him a contract the Wizards have the right to match it.  Matching is the only right the Wizards have to him.  

29 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That's not how NBA RFA works, he can go out and talk to other teams all he wants.  If they offer him a contract the Wizards have the right to match it.  Matching is the only right the Wizards have to him.  

Any compensation back if he signs somewhere else, or is it just right of first refusal?

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Hmm, so it's possible they get one of the two, but probably not both. Alternatively, they drop both and clear the cap room.

They aren't going to resign either Portis or Parker.  They'd be stupid to do either (wait maybe they will then).  Why would you dump Otto Porter's salary (a better player than either Portis or Parker) to overpay to keep either one of those guys?