Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

On 3/21/2019 at 12:00 PM, Woz said:

That's not true.

They could have Wall, Beal, and 13 D-League players.

If I’m the Wizards the only thing to do is to trade Beal instead of giving him the super max if he gets All-NBA & will be a super max player. It would really suck to lose Beal, but a trade like the Spurs did when they traded Leonard for DeRozan.

I’d do the trade some of us were talking about before the trade deadline. Trade Beal and Howard to the Lakers for their 1st round pick this year, Kuzma and Ingram.

That would bring us two starting forwards who both averaged over 18 ppg and over 5 rebs per game this year. Together they averaged 37 pts and 11 rebs.

Troy Brown Jr would replace Beal at the SG or a rookie we might draft in the lottery this year. If the wizards trade Beal, they'll have room to re-sign Sato, Bryant, Portis Randle, and retain Parker also.

PG: Sato, Randle

SG: Brown, rookie? Keldon Johnson, Kentucky or FA

SF: Ingram, Parker

PF: Kuzma, Portis, Robinson

C: Bryant, Mahinmi 

I also see Ariza & Green going to LA also. So the Lakers would get Beal to be their starting SG, Ariza would Be starting SF, Lebron PF. Green would I be a back up SF & PF.

May not be a playoffs team, but probably will be close again.

Edited by turtle28

Wizards inching closer and closer to that lottery pick! I hope they're smart - I know they're not - and they don't sign any established vets in July so they get lottery picks two years in a row.

2019: Bruno Fernando, C, Maryland 

2020: Jaden McDaniels, SF/PF

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I would give Troy Brown and this years first to the Suns to take Wall.

You're not Ted. Talk about brick walls. Hello, Ted isn't going to trade Wall just like Ted was never going to trade Ovi a few years ago like you two wanted to do also before the Caps got the Stanley.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Don’t think that’s a good idea. Cap space doesn’t trump young high-ceiling talent in the NBA. Elite players are the currency in the NBA — and the only thing that really matters — and it’s really tough for most teams to turn cap space into star players.

It’s not like MLB or the NFL. You can’t just lure top FAs by simply being willing to pay more than everyone else (e.g., PHI/SD/LAA this year in MLB or basically every FA signing in the NFL). The max contracts and the Bird rights rules take that option off the table for the elite players who everyone would give a max contract. Their original team can pay them the most money, and you can only pay the exact same amount as every other team with enough cap space for a max contract.

Which means that cap space only matters for max FAs in one situation: when you can (a) clear at least enough space for a max contract and (b) convince a max FA to take your money. The latter part is always the problem for lesser teams like the Wizards. Even when they’ve had max space, none of the major FAs have really given them the time of day. Which raises the question, what good is cap space if you can’t use it?

Of course Wall’s contract is terrible. I still don’t think it was the wrong thing to do when they did it (though it was extremely unfortunate, timing-wise), but it’s undoubtedly a huge albatross at this point. If they could get rid of it, that would be a big win. 

But giving away high-upside youngsters like Brown and their lottery pick this year to get rid of the contract is a step too far. They’re better off with as much cheap young talent as possible — and less cap space — than they are with a roster bereft of potential young stars but more cap flexibility. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Don’t think that’s a good idea. Cap space doesn’t trump young high-ceiling talent in the NBA. Elite players are the currency in the NBA — and the only thing that really matters — and it’s really tough for most teams to turn cap space into star players.

It’s not like MLB or the NFL. You can’t just lure top FAs by simply being willing to pay more than everyone else (e.g., PHI/SD/LAA this year in MLB or basically every FA signing in the NFL). The max contracts and the Bird rights rules take that option off the table for the elite players who everyone would give a max contract. Their original team can pay them the most money, and you can only pay the exact same amount as every other team with enough cap space for a max contract.

Which means that cap space only matters for max FAs in one situation: when you can (a) clear at least enough space for a max contract and (b) convince a max FA to take your money. The latter part is always the problem for lesser teams like the Wizards. Even when they’ve had max space, none of the major FAs have really given them the time of day. Which raises the question, what good is cap space if you can’t use it?

Of course Wall’s contract is terrible. I still don’t think it was the wrong thing to do when they did it (though it was extremely unfortunate, timing-wise), but it’s undoubtedly a huge albatross at this point. If they could get rid of it, that would be a big win. 

But giving away high-upside youngsters like Brown and their lottery pick this year to get rid of the contract is a step too far. They’re better off with as much cheap young talent as possible — and less cap space — than they are with a roster bereft of potential young stars but more cap flexibility. 

they are going absolutely no where with Walls contract on the books.  Beal could hit 3rd team all pro this year and give them a 2nd Supermax to deal with.  They need to do whatever they can to get rid of Wall and build around Beal.  You’re wrong that cap space isn’t that important, it’s more important than in any other sport.  The Nets have been able to pick up some solid talent via salary dumps simply by keeping cap space.  

Dump Wall, give Beal his supermax and go full rebuild.  It’s the only chance they ever have of being relevant.

36 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Amen

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

they are going absolutely no where with Walls contract on the books.  Beal could hit 3rd team all pro this year and give them a 2nd Supermax to deal with.  They need to do whatever they can to get rid of Wall and build around Beal.  You’re wrong that cap space isn’t that important, it’s more important than in any other sport.  The Nets have been able to pick up some solid talent via salary dumps simply by keeping cap space.  

Dump Wall, give Beal his supermax and go full rebuild.  It’s the only chance they ever have of being relevant.

Wtf! They can't!! Ugh so frustrating 

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We get it, you don't like Wall. We've spent 90 plus pages on it. Get creative, come up with another theme.

And I've been right... alllllllllllllllllllllllllll along.

Worst contract in basketball.

And it's a big reason we'll be forced to trade Beal.

The roadmap ahead is becoming very clear.

The Wizards now have NO choice but to trade Beal.

If he makes all-NBA, which he probably will, he'll be supermax eligible.

Couple that with Wall's albatross and that is 70% of the cap.

The Wiz are now in the same position the Spurs were in with Kawhi. Note what they did.

I actually prefer this option. A forced rebuild.

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Still leaves the Wiz paying a supermax for Beal. And the supermax is a killer. Beal isn't worth it either.

I think Brown will be good. Athletic and smart...

They need to hit on this first this year.

4 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Still leaves the Wiz paying a supermax for Beal. And the supermax is a killer. Beal isn't worth it either.

I think Brown will be good. Athletic and smart...

They need to hit on this first this year.

At least Beal can shoot.  I’d take Beal over Wall all day every day.

• Like 1