How MUCH do you not want Josh Allen?

FGK

Would you rather...  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather....

• Get Josh Allen and your choice of non-QB prospects at #4
    • Get your top QB but forfeit the #4 pick

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

The hate for Josh Allen is something unreal.

I want Baker Mayfield most of all but I wouldn't be upset with a Josh Allen pick at all.

Its because he is literally garaunteed bust at QB and nearly every single metric you want to measure him by says hes garbage. He was even garbage in college so its not like he was dominating some small schools like Big Ben did.

You want small school prospects? Big Ben dominated in college, Kahlil Mack dominated in college, Antonio Brown dominated in college. Josh Allen was trash in college and he will be trash in the NFL.

He struggled to read defenses from Nowhere St. University. What makes anybody think he will be able to diagnose blitzes, coverage schemes and get the ball out to where it needs to be while ALSO raising his completion percentage by 10% against NFL defenses.

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

The hate for Josh Allen is something unreal.

I want Baker Mayfield most of all but I wouldn't be upset with a Josh Allen pick at all.

At #1 it is and should be. If we were picking 24th and needed a project QB he would be an option. Great tools just needs to refine his game. Picking #1 in a strong QB draft and selecting a project is a good reason to have the pick hated.

He isn't a bad prospect, better than Kizer was. Picking him at #1 would be like picking Kizer at #4 overall. It might work out but you are putting it all on red 13.

Every year, Football Outsiders puts together a model, called QBASE, that uses stats—mainly completion percentage, adjusted yards per attempt, and team passing efficiency, with an adjustment for talent on offense and strength of schedule—to project the careers of the NFL’s top quarterback prospects. FO has run the model back to 1996, with a decent amount of success; the top 10 all-time scores belong to Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Baker Mayfield, Russell Wilson, Peyton Manning, Marcus Mariota, Byron Leftwich, Aaron Rodgers, and Ben Roethlisberger. Leftwich is a miss, Mariota is still developing, and Mayfield isn’t in the NFL yet, but the rest of those passers are franchise guys.

Allen doesn’t just fall short of that top tier—he’s the lowest-graded passer in 2018 and owns one of the worst scores, at negative-83, ever handed out to a first-round pick. As far as first-round picks go, only Mark Sanchez (negative-430) graded worse than Allen. First-round picks with scores similar to Allen’s are mostly busts like Patrick Ramsey (negative-78), Kyle Boller (negative-42), and J.P. Losman (negative-25). In a best-case scenario, Allen would be an outlier like Matt Ryan (134) or second-round pick Andy Dalton (132), but, though neither of those passers scored well, they still graded much higher than Allen.

This was for you @Thomas5737

45 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@AkronsWitness I heard that on the fan today, too. Fascinating stuff. Mayfield dominates all the analytics results. The evidence of those reports is pretty irrefutable. 

Well if it goes by what Mind said at the very beginning of this back in March--nobody in the FO is even considering Josh Allen. Fast forward 1 month and all you hear about is how the Browns are leaning Josh Allen #1. If @Mind Character was right back then, why did Allen go from everybody in the organizations #3 or #4 choice to now #1. What changed in the past 4 weeks from it being Rosen or Mayfield to now Allen vaulting into the picture ahead of everyone. 

UNLESSSSS its all a smokescreen to take Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield at #1 overall and force the Bills to trade up with the Giants for Allen so that the Browns can also get Bradley Chubb at #4. Maybe they are hyping up Allen to force a pre-draft trade up from the Bills so they can get their highest rated QB and position player both.

30 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well if it goes by what Mind said at the very beginning of this back in March--nobody in the FO is even considering Josh Allen. Fast forward 1 month and all you hear about is how the Browns are leaning Josh Allen #1. If @Mind Character was right back then, why did Allen go from everybody in the organizations #3 or #4 choice to now #1. What changed in the past 4 weeks from it being Rosen or Mayfield to now Allen vaulting into the picture ahead of everyone. 

UNLESSSSS its all a smokescreen to take Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield at #1 overall and force the Bills to trade up with the Giants for Allen so that the Browns can also get Bradley Chubb at #4. Maybe they are hyping up Allen to force a pre-draft trade up from the Bills so they can get their highest rated QB and position player both.

Allen won't be the pick. There's simply no way that Dorsey could be that stupid. 

What caught my eye was the Vegas odds. @Mind Character You could win some serious dough if your source is legit...like SERIOUS CASH. 

I mean, I'll pretty much do what I've always done with Quinn, Weeden, JFF, and passing on Watson last year:

*Gripe and moan, say some nasty things about the Front Office and coaching staff. The word "inept" will be used a lot, along with words and phrases like "inbred, different regime same result, at least Dorsey is a FOOTBALL GUY (in a very sarcastic tone of voice), moron, power trip, think he's/they're the smartest man/guys in the room", etc.

I will then take a month long hiatus, only to be sucked back in after talking myself into Josh Allen's incredible physical gifts/tools and that maybe I missed out on something obvious that warranted a Cardale Jones in a pro style offense who is a 4th round caliber prospect going #1 overall, all while knowing that I didn't miss my evaluation.

I will then proceed to begrudgingly support this organization, watch them have a lot of upside this year with Tyrod, and then watch it crumble in 2019 and 2020 when it's clear that Josh Allen is absolute garbage. By then, we will be in full rebuild mode, with a new regime, clean house of former 1st and 2nd rounders who have underachieved, largely due to a combination of botched picks and horrific player development by Hue Jackson and company.

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, I'll pretty much do what I've always done with Quinn, Weeden, JFF, and passing on Watson last year:

*Gripe and moan, say some nasty things about the Front Office and coaching staff. The word "inept" will be used a lot, along with words and phrases like "inbred, different regime same result, at least Dorsey is a FOOTBALL GUY (in a very sarcastic tone of voice), moron, power trip, think he's/they're the smartest man/guys in the room", etc.

I will then take a month long hiatus, only to be sucked back in after talking myself into Josh Allen's incredible physical gifts/tools and that maybe I missed out on something obvious that warranted a Cardale Jones in a pro style offense who is a 4th round caliber prospect going #1 overall, all while knowing that I didn't miss my evaluation.

I will then proceed to begrudgingly support this organization, watch them have a lot of upside this year with Tyrod, and then watch it crumble in 2019 and 2020 when it's clear that Josh Allen is absolute garbage. By then, we will be in full rebuild mode, with a new regime, clean house of former 1st and 2nd rounders who have underachieved, largely due to a combination of botched picks and horrific player development by Hue Jackson and company.

THIS!!

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Taking Josh Allen is cementing another 3 year rebuild after they cut Tyrod loose.

If that happens, the only hope is that Tyrod looks incredibly good so the Browns have no choice but to sign longterm and Allen will never beat him out for the job in TC.

As long as Tyrod is here, there is no need for a rebuild. Dude is good enough to be a legit starter for a couple years. No need to sign him long term because of the franchise tag. He gets paid and the browns don’t have to invest time into him past the point the rookie is ready to play. 

The Allen hate train is pretty crazy, not gonna lie. Dude is talented but is extremely raw. I could see him making major growth just by the fact he will get so much better coaching in the NFL then what he was getting in college. 

Im not saying he is the QB at one but we need to take a step back from the 480 bridge. If the browns like him, it’s for a reason. All the guys making the decision, they have collectively forgotten more about the game of football then we as a Browns forum know. 

If it was sashi pulling the trigger I would be scared but he isn’t.  

Archived