Off-Topic: The Washington Capitals, YOUR 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!, Thread

2 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

LOL @ the Ovi chatter.

I love the way he is playing. His first goal was a grinder's goal, which is awesome.

That said, you should really save it... until he's won something noteworthy.

Like league MVP three times? Or the Rocket Richard trophy 7 times which is tied for most in league history? Being an all-star 9 times and almost certainly going to be a first-ballot hall of famer? You're right. He's won nothing. Honestly, this whole thing is getting tired and the Caps fanbase never deserved him. There would be no Rock the Red in this town without him. The team would still be irrelevant. 

Somewhere along the line the narrative became that Ovechkin doesn't perform in the playoffs, despite his averages of ~PPG. This isn't QB play, even the best forward on the team is only on the ice ~40% of the game, and the 40% he's on he's performing. I hope we break through because I don't want this BS to affect Ovi's legacy (And also because I want DC to finally win obvi)

Just now, Jeezy Fanatic said:

To go off topic a minute, in the 1980s when Gretzky was in his prime, the league average GPG was ~7.5GPG. During Ovi's career it's been around 5.5 GPG. Can you imagine the volume of goals Ovi could've put up in that era? Bananas.

Source

Vc4sOjTHtr9KVrKUz5zr35xqZGQE_jAUNLKEq976

Have there been rule changes to help the defense?  Are goalies just better now?  What's the reason behind the changes in scoring?

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Have there been rule changes to help the defense?  Are goalies just better now?  What's the reason behind the changes in scoring?

The biggest factor is bigger goalies and bigger goalie equipment. Goalies used to be smaller and more quick, now goalies are big guys who go into the butterfly and can cover more of the goal, there's alot less goal to shoot at now than there used to be.