Off-Topic: The Washington Capitals, YOUR 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!, Thread

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife is a big Caps fan and she complains about them the same way all Caps fans do. Your team has made the playoffs 32 out of the last 39 seasons. They’ve won a Stanley Cup and have basically had the best player in the league for a long time (obviously he’s older now). It’s tough to complain about that much success. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

My wife is a big Caps fan and she complains about them the same way all Caps fans do. Your team has made the playoffs 32 out of the last 39 seasons. They’ve won a Stanley Cup and have basically had the best player in the league for a long time (obviously he’s older now). It’s tough to complain about that much success. 

With how conservative they’ve been in the playoffs for years, despite the coach, it’s a frustrating thing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

With how conservative they’ve been in the playoffs for years, despite the coach, it’s a frustrating thing. 

I’m sure it is but man, they basically are a lock to make the playoffs every year. They have a shot every single year. My biggest issue with them has always been their need to trade away young scorers (Forsberg, Vrana). The team is just old and they don’t have anyone to help ignite it again. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m sure it is but man, they basically are a lock to make the playoffs every year. They have a shot every single year. My biggest issue with them has always been their need to trade away young scorers (Forsberg, Vrana). The team is just old and they don’t have anyone to help ignite it again. 

I’m not so sure they expected Forsberg to light it up like he has but I get your point. He was a good prospect but I’m not sure many in the league expected him to be top 3-4 player on a talented team.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I get what you’re saying but the expectations of the Ovi/Backstrom era over the last 12 years or so is that they should have more than one Stanley Cup & with how much talent they had in the 90s, that club should’ve won one that decade also.

Its certainly not like the Wizards or Redskins of the last 30 years but the Caps have only lived up to their potential one-year in 35-40 years and that was in 2018 when they won the Stanley Cup.

That’s very disappointing as a fan.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Their talent has generally shrank in the playoffs too except for 2018 and a few other years the last 30 years. It’s disappointing as a fan even if they did make the playoffs. The caps haven’t been as bad as the Redskins & Wizards the last 30 years but just getting to the playoffs & not at least getting to the Eastern Conference Finals most of the last 30 years is very disappointing. They’ve had a lot of blow 3-1 series leads too, they just haven’t lived up to expectations. Only a blind homer of the team would argue otherwise.

With all the talent they’ve had the last 30 years you’d think at the least they would’ve had 3 Stanley Cups, one in the 90s & two at the least in the Ovi/Backstrom of the last 15 years.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I compare Alex Ovechkin to Aaron Rodgers. One of the best to ever do it, but one Super Bowl appearance and win cuts the legacy a little bit. 

Yeah, definitely both will retire as ‘one of the greatest’ off all-time in their sports but won’t be considered the greatest bc they didn’t win enough titles.

20 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I compare Alex Ovechkin to Aaron Rodgers. One of the best to ever do it, but one Super Bowl appearance and win cuts the legacy a little bit. 

Is that really his fault though? Ovi doesn’t exactly shrink in the playoffs, correct? 

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Is that really his fault though? Ovi doesn’t exactly shrink in the playoffs, correct? 

Depends on the year. Some were great, better than others where he was MIA. Imagine if you were a Packers fan. You win at least 10 games every year for like 12 of the last 14 years. Sounds spoiled right? Sure.

Yet, when you add in so many 1st and 2nd round exits and only one Super Bowl/Stanley Cup for it while having some of the most talented people in the world... it takes its toll. I completely get where your wife is coming from. These exits hit harder sometimes than anything Washington does, because I am more numb to their ineptitude. With the Caps... I give myself hope. 

• Like 1