• Rangers won the Stanley Cup, Messier became a legend

• 8 NHL Canadian Teams

• We had 0 lockouts

• Wayne Gretzky was about to become a Blues Legend

• Mario Lemeux didn't own the team yet

• The Devils had rumors of moving to Nashville

• Canadian dollar was utter trash

• Like 2

Incredibly happy for the Caps and Caps fans.

Admittedly, my passion for the Caps has transitioned to the Wizards over the years. My first game was a surprise visit to the Capitals Center when I was around 10 years old. Front row tickets versus the Devils. A few fights broke out and I was hooked. The Patrick Division rivalries were great. NHL rivalries these days are, let's just say, different. Couple that with the Capitals' failures since 98 and my interest slowly waned.

These days, I'm not as emotionally invested. I go numb in overtimes to ease the pain. So when they won last night, I was simply happy... I didn't scream or yell.

Still, there's a positive energy in town today. Caps fans' head are held a little higher. To me, whatever happens after this happens. I'm just glad we have a hometown team that made it to a conference final. Maybe the bar can finally start to be raised a bit... that's a good thing.

15 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Incredibly happy for the Caps and Caps fans.

Admittedly, my passion for the Caps has transitioned to the Wizards over the years. My first game was a surprise visit to the Capitals Center when I was around 10 years old. Front row tickets versus the Devils. A few fights broke out and I was hooked. The Patrick Division rivalries were great. NHL rivalries these days are, let's just say, different. Couple that with the Capitals' failures since 98 and my interest slowly waned.

These days, I'm not as emotionally invested. I go numb in overtimes to ease the pain. So when they won last night, I was simply happy... I didn't scream or yell.

Still, there's a positive energy in town today. Caps fans' head are held a little higher. To me, whatever happens after this happens. I'm just glad we have a hometown team that made it to a conference final. Maybe the bar can finally start to be raised a bit... that's a good thing.

This sounds so familiar ... for me it was the back to back seasons (I want to say 91-92 and 92-93) where they went up 3-1 in the playoffs and then blew the series. I distinctly remember looking at the TV and yelling at it (in game 5 of 92-93, when they started losing), "If you blow this series, you're dead to me!" Didn't watch a minute of hockey until Beach Week 2000 (and only then because of the quadruple overtime game between the Avalanche and ... I don't even remember).

Like you, I'm happy for the Caps. But I'm not invested. However, my son was a bit gleeful when I showed him the score because that means he can rub it in with one of his friends (HUGE Pittsburgh fans).