Off-Topic: The Washington Capitals, YOUR 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!, Thread

54 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They have one. 40 years before the capitals 

Just as a point of reference, the length of time from that championship to the name change (19 years) is two years shorter than when the name change occurred to now (21 years).

As another point of reference, Tatyana Ovechkina (Alex Ovechkin's mother) won a gold medal for the USSR women's basketball team more recently (1980 in Moscow; she also won gold in 1976 in Montreal) than the Bullets/Wizards have won a NBA Final.

23 minutes ago, Woz said:

Just as a point of reference, the length of time from that championship to the name change (19 years) is two years shorter than when the name change occurred to now (21 years).

As another point of reference, Tatyana Ovechkina (Alex Ovechkin's mother) won a gold medal for the USSR women's basketball team more recently (1980 in Moscow; she also won gold in 1976 in Montreal) than the Bullets/Wizards have won a NBA Final.

Understood they still have one in the bank. No doubt they’d have to make major changes to their roster to get another one including changing two - if not all - of their starting front court.

And since were pointing out name changes and lengths of time. The Redskins too have not won a championship since the Native American Indian groups first took them to court over their name.

That’d be 26 years.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

And since were pointing out name changes and lengths of time. The Redskins too have not won a championship since the Native  American Indian groups first took them to court of their name.

That’d be 26 years.

1. Next time you're going to shift the conversation that abruptly, make sure to push down on the topic clutch pedal a lot more than you just did.
  2. I don't think I've ever said they should keep the name. It's not worth the headache.
  3. The Redskins have also won three championships since the Wizards won their only one.

43 minutes ago, Woz said:
  1. Next time you're going to shift the conversation that abruptly, make sure to push down on the topic clutch pedal a lot more than you just did.
  2. I don't think I've ever said they should keep the name. It's not worth the headache.
  3. The Redskins have also won three championships since the Wizards won their only one.

I wasn’t the first to bring up that another team hadn’t won a championship in this town for decades and isn’t close. I think it’s a fairly easy observation to be made that there is a curse, hopefully the Caps just exercised the demons for all DC sports. Although, by the judge of the Nats current season and the continued injury bug, I’m not so sure.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I wasn’t the first to bring up that another team hadn’t won a championship in this town for decades and isn’t close. I think it’s a fairly easy observation to be made that there is a curse, hopefully the Caps just exercised the demons for all DC sports. Although, by the judge of the Nats current season and the continued injury bug, I’m not so sure.

Oh, is that all? No, we just need to wait another 25 years or so. We get one championship per sport every 40 years it seems :D

34 minutes ago, Woz said:

Oh, is that all? No, we just need to wait another 25 years or so. We get one championship per sport every 40 years it seems :D

Not in the 80s...

If the Wizards could just get a good to great big, then they’d be a contender. It really just will take one trade but it remains to be seen if Ernie can get that deal done. Most likely he’ll stand pat instead of making a trade for a big or a few like we had talked about before by trading with Indy.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Not in the 80s...

That feels like an aberration.

Just now, turtle28 said:

If the Wizards could just get a good to great big, then they’d be a contender. It really just will take one trade but it remains to be seen if Ernie can get that deal done. Most likely he’ll stand pat instead of making a trade for a big or a few like we had talked about before by trading with Indy.

1. I disagree that they're one big away from contention (making the playoffs and dying in the second round is not really contending).
  2. Ernie cannot get that deal done.