Off-Topic: The Washington Capitals, YOUR 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!, Thread

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

That feels like an aberration.

1. I disagree that they're one big away from contention (making the playoffs and dying in the second round is not really contending).
  2. Ernie cannot get that deal done.

Don’t forget that when the Wizards were  healthy in 2016-17 in the playoffs they were just one game away from the eastern conference finals, same with two years before that. It’s not like they were just getting to the second round and getting swept.

So yeah, replace Gortat with a guy like DeMarcus Cousins and the Wizards are a contender in the eastern conference especially if Lebron leaves for LA.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

Don’t forget that when the Wizards were  healthy in 2016-17 in the playoffs they were just one game away from the eastern conference finals, same with two years before that. It’s not like they were just getting to the second round and getting swept.

You keep saying it. It keeps still not mattering. You can be as close as you want. It didn't happen.

Just now, turtle28 said:

So yeah, replace Gortat with a guy like DeMarcus Cousins and the Wizards are a contender in the eastern conference especially if Lebron leaves for LA.

1. They aren't getting Cousins. Stop. It's not happening.
  2. Okay, maybe just maybe they get to the Finals at that point. They'll get killed by whomever wins the West (barring that team being decimated by injuries in the WCF).

1 hour ago, Woz said:

You keep saying it. It keeps still not mattering. You can be as close as you want. It didn't happen.

1. They aren't getting Cousins. Stop. It's not happening.
  2. Okay, maybe just maybe they get to the Finals at that point. They'll get killed by whomever wins the West (barring that team being decimated by injuries in the WCF).

It does matter bc they were in a game 7 and within striking distance to win the game in those games 7. 

If we took you’re advice we would’ve given up on the Caps years ago bc they kept losing game sevens. The truth is the Wizards we’re just a few plays and a little bit better depth/health away from playing in the eastern conference finals, just like the Caps in what seemed like 7 or 8 times in the last 9 years until this year.

They definitely have a shot at Cousins. Wall and Cousins are close, so that’s the draw. Wall can sell Cousins on DC and say come play with me and Beal and let’s do what the Caps and Ovi did. If we do, we’ll get the same love from DC.

Also, the Pelicans played well down the stretch and in the playoffs when Davis went to C and Miratic became their starting PF because he’s a stretch 4/5 which game Davis more room to operate. The pelicans could use more help and another shooter on the wing. So, it’s a sign and trade with Porter going there and Gortat too who they can keep as their 3rd big in a rotation or buy out of his contract.

Edited by turtle28

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If we took you’re advice we would’ve given up on the Caps years ago bc they kept losing game sevens. The truth is the Wizards we’re just a few plays and a little bit better depth/health away from playing in the eastern conference finals, just like the Caps in what seemed like 7 or 8 times in the last 9 years until this year.

1. Talent base is better on the Capitals across the entire roster than it is for the Wizards.
  2. The Capitals were underachieving in those previous playoff games; the Wizards were playing at their ceiling.

They definitely have a shot at Cousins. Wall and Cousins are close, so that’s the draw. Wall can sell Cousins on DC and say come play with me and Beal and let’s do what the Caps and Ovi did. If we do, we’ll get the same love from DC.

giphy.gif

Going down this pathway is the same as believing that Durant is coming here.

The Wizards are not a primo destination for free agents. They're not even a secundo destination.

Also, the Pelicans played well down the stretch and in the playoffs when Davis went to C and Miratic became their starting PF because he’s a stretch 4/5 which game Davis more room to operate. The pelicans could use more help and another shooter on the wing. So, it’s a sign and trade with Porter going there and Gortat too who they can keep as their 3rd big in a rotation or buy out of his contract.

I don't think this will happen, but it wouldn't be the worst thing for the Wizards.

Of course, that just thins out the talent base in DC even more (Porter, not Gortat).

Just now, MikeT14 said:

I think the Wiz are a secondary, but I 100% agree they are not primo (LAx2, New York, Boston, GS, Miami, SA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Philly, probably Brooklyn and probably more)

I'd split your group there into two, since you list 12 teams. Even if we keep it, that's 40% of the league that a given player would prefer.

2 hours ago, Woz said:
  1. Talent base is better on the Capitals across the entire roster than it is for the Wizards.
  2. The Capitals were underachieving in those previous playoff games; the Wizards were playing at their ceiling.

giphy.gif

Going down this pathway is the same as believing that Durant is coming here.

The Wizards are not a primo destination for free agents. They're not even a secundo destination.

I don't think this will happen, but it wouldn't be the worst thing for the Wizards.

Of course, that just thins out the talent base in DC even more (Porter, not Gortat).

The talent base is only better for the Caps bc they have twice as many players as the Wizards do. You’re talking about 4 lines of 5 players on the ice through out the game vs 15 players, and 8 to 10 who see major minutes for the Wizards.

Its definitely true that Ovi > Wall though and the Caps young stars like Kuzy etc showed up built time in the playoffs while Beal was inconsistent for the Wiz and Porter got hurt.

I mean, I don’t think we can lose sight of the fact that the Caps had a lot of question marks leading into the season after their top two lines. Luckily for them, their back to lines formed a chemistry but it wasn’t always that way, especially in the first few months of the season. Yes, in the end it’s easy to say they had so much more talent than the wizards but that didn’t look like it would   be the case before the season and in Oct, Nov & Dec of 2017.

I have to wonder if the Caps winning & the crowd size for the watch parties and the parade they got moves the needle some for the NBA free agents wanting to come to DC for at least second tier guys like Al Horford who, if he had come to DC probably would’ve have helped the Wizards to an Eastern conference final but they lost out on him to Boston. 

I still think making a trade for another teams star big/super star big to pair with Wall is possible. Those guys are going to want to play with a pass first PG like Wall who will set them up with easy buckets like he’s done for Gortat for 5 years now.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

I have to wonder if the Caps winning & the crowd size they got moves the needle some for the NBA free agents wanting to come to DC, at least second tier guys like Al Horford who, if he had come to DC probably have helped the Wizards to an Eastern conference final but they lost out on him to Boston. 

Does the success of the Red Wings help the Lions or Tigers sign players?

Why would the Caps influence free agents in the NBA?

Just now, turtle28 said:

I still think making a trade for another teams star big/super star big to pair with Wall is possible. Those guys are going to want to play with a pass first PG like Wall who will set them up with easy buckets like he’s done for Gortat for 5 years now.

That would probably be the best option if they weren't way into the luxury tax.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:15 AM, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Shoutout to @Woz for letting us have a thread this year. First year with an independent thread leads to a Cup.

Wait...credit @Woz (deserved) but no credit to the OTHER moderator for not going all "get off my lawn" and shutting it down?

Harrumph!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Wait...credit @Woz (deserved) but no credit to the OTHER moderator for not going all "get off my lawn" and shutting it down?

Harrumph!!

Dude, you just popped up after a month of leaving me to manage the asylum by myself! Hiding behind your kid and all! :D

• Like 2