Off-Topic: The Washington Capitals, YOUR 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!, Thread

53 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Because it’s easy to win a championship? Again, 43 years and the Caps didn’t win one. The District went 26 years w/o winning one in one of the top 4 pro team sports. Marty Schottenheimer was a coach for 3 decades and never won one.

I never said it was easy to win a championship but I dont think they are losing much by letting Trotz walk. Them winning the Stanley cup doesn’t erase all the stupid decisions he’s made. He’s a decent coach but I can completely understand not wanting to pay him $5M a year. This really isn’t s big deal. 

37 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I never said it was easy to win a championship but I dont think they are losing much by letting Trotz walk. Them winning the Stanley cup doesn’t erase all the stupid decisions he’s made. He’s a decent coach but I can completely understand not wanting to pay him $5M a year. This really isn’t s big deal. 

I guess it remains to be seen. I don’t think the Nats are as good w/o Dusty this year and I think they made a mistake in not retaining him. Hopefully Davey Martinez grows into the position and is the long term answer. He seems to be doing better over the last month or so than in the beginning of the year, so hopefully he continues to improve.

It sounds like the players - at least the defensive players - like and respect Reardon and he made a lot of decisions that fixed issues they had on defense particularly in the first two games of the Columbus series. If he’s the guy - and I hope he is - I hope it works out because it sounds like he has a lot of respect from the players. 

Its also clear that Ted & BMac don’t want to pay top $ for a HC. They’re being cheap meanwhile, Ted pays $7 M for Scott Brooks! Huh?

BMac said that the coaches who get paid over $5 M a year are  with the top revenue teams, I guess that’s not the Capitals. Could’ve fooled me after seeing what happened the last two months and the last decade of Cap One/Verizon/MCI Center being nearly sold out every night and the playoffs with multiple 2nd round and then a championship run this past year.

Maybe that’s the truth, but it seems like a dumb thing for the GM to say. I take that as a shot at the fans who just filled your building and every street around it even when your team was playing thousands of miles away on the road in Las Vegas. About 1/2 a million of these same fans also showed up in DC - many missing work/school - to show their support for you and your franchise. 

I don’t think anyone has picked up on it and said anything about that comment in DC sports radio or twitter yet and complained about it, but it wasn’t lost on me.

Edited by turtle28

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2018/06/19/heres-why-todd-reirden-is-the-favorite-to-be-the-capitals-next-head-coach/?utm_term=.a3221cd3281b&wpisrc=nl_sports&wpmm=1

The night the Washington Capitals won their first Stanley Cup championship, Barry Trotz touched the iconic trophy for the first time in his head-coaching career and triumphantly lifted it over his head. He then passed it to Todd Reirden, the top assistant on his staff. Less than two weeks later, the handoff seems symbolic.

Trotz resigned as head coach of the Capitals on Monday afternoon, a stunning turn of events considering he’s just the fifth coach in the past 40 years to not be retained by a team coming off a championship. But Washington’s search likely will be swift, especially considering the team will be negotiating with its pending unrestricted free agents later this week and free agency is less than two weeks away. General Manager Brian MacLellan acknowledged that Reirden, the team’s associate head coach, is a candidate and will go through a formal interview. Barring something unforeseen, he’s the overwhelming favorite to be the head man behind the bench next season.

“We’re going to start with Todd here,” MacLellan said of the coaching search. “You know, I think we’ve been grooming him to be a head coach whether for us or someone else. We’ll see how the talk goes with him and we’ll make a decision based on that. If it goes well, we’ll pursue Todd, and if it doesn’t, we’ll open it up a little bit.”

[Svrluga: Barry Trotz’s resignation shouldn’t take shine off Stanley Cup triumph]

While Trotz brought assistant Lane Lambert and goaltending guru Mitch Korn with him from his previous stop in Nashville when he was first hired by the Capitals in 2014, Reirden joined the staff after coaching with Dan Bylsma in Pittsburgh. As he did with the Penguins, Reirden primarily worked with the Capitals’ defensemen and has earned a reputation for molding blue-liners. Since the start of the 2014 season, Washington has allowed the fewest goals per game (2.16) in the league with 28.4 shots against per game in that time. Though the Capitals struggled defensively during this past regular season because of significant personnel turnover on the blueline last summer, stingy play became the team’s identity during its deep playoff run.

During a news conference Monday, MacLellan praised the culture change Trotz instituted during his four-year tenure following the toxicity that developed under the previous regime. Promoting Reirden could lead to continuity in that department, though MacLellan said he’s unsure how much of the coaching staff will return. Lambert and Korn are loyal to Trotz and are unlikely to be back. Along with Reirden, assistant Blaine Forsythe, a holdover from Glen Hanlon’s coaching days, is under contract through next season. That leaves goaltending coach Scott Murray, also believed to still be under contract, as a question mark. Reirden has no previous NHL head-coaching experience, though when MacLellan was asked what he wants in Trotz’s replacement, that was not listed as a requirement.

Edited by turtle28

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/2018-nhl-draft-washington-capitals-pick-alexander-alexeyev-no-31

I like it! The Caps need some young defensemen to develop.

The Washington Capitals selected defenseman Alexander Alexeyev with the No. 31 overall selection of the 2018 NHL Draft Friday night, the final pick of the first round.

Alexeyev, a left-shot blueliner from St. Petersburg, Russia, played for the Red Deer Rebels of the Western Hockey League. He stands 6-foot-3, 200 pounds and tallied 11 goals and 47 assists for the Rebels over the last two seasons.

Edited by turtle28