Off-Topic: The Washington Capitals, YOUR 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!, Thread

58 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I dare you to say that to Peatycap’s face. 

I’ll say it anyone. I see no value in it. Generally it gets your player or players put in the penalty box or worse - suspended - and that’s bad for the team. It hurts the caps a lot bc Wilson is one of their best players and he’s a goon! So whenever he gets bad penalties or fights it really hurts the team.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s basically useless 

It's basically one of the two reasons fans stand and cheer during a game.

UFC, football, NASCAR wrecks, baseball brawls... red-blooded Americans love a good old hockey brewhaha. Euro, ballerina, ice capaders prefer the art of finesse. 

And immediate consequences are much more influential than delayed consequences. 

I guarantee the ratings were way up last night.

Speaking to the game itself, the Rangers are incredibly soft on paper but still showed up. Win or lose, it's all about showing up for your teammates and having their backs. I give them a ton of credit. That's a character builder, for sure, for both teams.

17 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't even agree with what Wilson did, and was surprised he wasn't suspended, but seriously the level of petty coming from the Rangers organization and fans is utterly hilarious. 

A gloved love tap to the back of the head and ragdolling a player that jumped on his back. A fine was spot on. 

The Rangers players responded appropriately. The Rangers organization... whew boy... what an embarrassment.

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’ll say it anyone. I see no value in it. Generally it gets your player or players put in the penalty box or worse - suspended - and that’s bad for the team. It hurts the caps a lot bc Wilson is one of their best players and he’s a goon! So whenever he gets bad penalties or fights it really hurts the team.

I mean, fighting majors are offsetting penalties.

Tom Wilson is not a goon. Donald Brashear, Stephen Peat, Enrico Ciccone, Craig Berube, Kevin Kaminski were goons... I'd call them enforcers personally. Chris Simon was a skilled power forward that was exceptional with his glove off too. Tom Wilson is a power forward that plays with an edge (he goes over sometimes) in a soft league. And to be honest, he's not a particularly good fighter. He's a player you hate on the other team but love on your team (see Dale Hunter). 

Fights settle scores, can change the momentum of the game, and typically (not always) do not end up with one player resulting in a big injury. Injuries are typically caused by checks from behind, knees, elbows, slew footing, high sticks, spears, etc. Fights allow players to blow off steam without having to resort to said actions that can seriously hurt an opponent. 

I'm not a total homer on fights. They needed to be cut back on... and have been. Getting punched in the head TOO much can cause CTE... and CTE is bad... very bad. A decade or so ago, we saw former enforcers taking their own life (Probert, Belak, Boogaard, Rypien). That's awful. 

Edited by Skinsin2013
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really bad game by the caps Friday night, low energy, I don’t know they didn’t even show up. They better bring it today or they’re going home and it’s quickly becoming the end of an era. This playoff series is flashing the light on how Backstrom & Ovi are still good players but don’t have the same impact they had 3 years ago and before.

The team really needs Kuzy to step and take this team over but he’s so inconsistent, and it’s gotten worse since he signed his contract extension. If he plays likes he’s capable as the teams most physically gifted player out there next year - unlike the last two years - then maybe they can make one more playoff run next year, but I fear this is the end of an era.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Really bad game by the caps Friday night, low energy, I don’t know they didn’t even show up. They better bring it today or they’re going home and it’s quickly becoming the end of an era. This playoff series is flashing the light on how Backstrom & Ovi are still good players but don’t have the same impact they had 3 years ago and before.

The team really needs Kuzy to step and take this team over but he’s so inconsistent, and it’s gotten worse since he signed his contract extension. If he plays likes he’s capable as the teams most physically gifted player out there next year - unlike the last two years - then maybe they can make one more playoff run next year, but I fear this is the end of an era.

I’ve given up on Kuzy!!! They should have traded him and not Varana!!! But this team just doesn’t have the speed or drive they had early this season where I legit thought they would get to the cup. Kuzy is basically a bum at this point unreliable and we should have gotten what we could for him. Not move varana who was actually the brighter young player

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I’ve given up on Kuzy!!! They should have traded him and not Varana!!! But this team just doesn’t have the speed or drive they had early this season where I legit thought they would get to the cup. Kuzy is basically a bum at this point unreliable and we should have gotten what we could for him. Not move varana who was actually the brighter young player

That’s a good point that they probably traded the wrong guy. Varana really hadn’t made a jump either, I heard on the radio or read on Twitter that Laviolette was down on Varana’s effort and he was inconsistent as well. I guess they took the approach of hoping Kuzy’s talent will eventually shine through again but Varana’s issues were different and likely not to improve.

Just now, turtle28 said:

That’s a good point that they probably traded the wrong guy. Varana really hadn’t made a jump either, I heard on the radio or read on Twitter that Laviolette was down on Varana’s effort and he was inconsistent as well. I guess they took the approach of hoping Kuzy’s talent will eventually shine through again but Varana’s issues were different and likely not to improve.

Yeah I read that too but 8 goals in 11 games on a bad team. He wasn’t even a first liner here. He maximized his minutes on the ice. He’s not a two way guy and I understand Laviolette is just old school but results are noticeable. Kuzy is constantly doing something. And when he actually looked good on the ice he got in trouble. Kuzy was my favorite player the way he looked 3 years ago I really loved watching him skate. I really wanted him to be the guy but he’s shown time and time again he just can’t get out of his own way. But here’s to hoping this team can catch fire because personally this team owes it to Ovi to get their all

• Like 1

This coach has to go!!! These guys are literally skating half their power play in their own zone. These stupid board passes that started this year. We used to physical and play with speed. These guys quit on this coach because their skating either tired of lazy and that tells me this coach needs to go

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

This coach has to go!!! These guys are literally skating half their power play in their own zone. These stupid board passes that started this year. We used to physical and play with speed. These guys quit on this coach because their skating either tired of lazy and that tells me this coach needs to go

The dumbest things the Caps ever did was not re-sign Trotz bc they felt they could get the same result with Todd Reardon. Gotta blame Ted, he didn’t want to pay to keep Trotz after we won the Cup.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...