Two mock drafts for the price of one

Crickett

1 hour ago, zgrande said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you switch the Browns pick at 4? In both your scenarios, Barkley and Chubb are there, yet you switched the pick. Just for fun? Or do you really think it depends on which QB they draft?

In a lot of cases, I changed picks because I think there are several realistic directions can go and I wanted to try to reflect that as best as I could. 

Apparently I accidentally left Jaire Alexander out of the first mock, so I'm going to edit that in. 

Edit: And now having done that, here are the changes made to the first mock

18. Seattle Seahawks – Mike Gesicki, tE --> Josh Jackson, CB

24. Carolina Panthers – Josh Jackson, CB --> Isaiah Oliver, CB 

31. New England Patriots – Isaiah Oliver, CB --> Jaire Alexander, CB 

42. Miami Dolphins – Hayden Hurst, TE --> Mike Gesicki, TE

58. Atlanta Falcons – Martinas Rankin, OL --> Hayden Hurst, TE

11 hours ago, mlucas12002 said:

The first Browns draft is better than the second one, but if you change either 35 or 64 to whoever your highest-rated DT is, either one would be perfect.

The first one is trash because we throw away the chance to get a franchise QB and pick a future CFL player instead 

2 hours ago, Crickett said:

In a lot of cases, I changed picks because I think there are several realistic directions can go and I wanted to try to reflect that as best as I could. 

Apparently I accidentally left Jaire Alexander out of the first mock, so I'm going to edit that in. 

Edit: And now having done that, here are the changes made to the first mock

18. Seattle Seahawks – Mike Gesicki, tE --> Josh Jackson, CB

24. Carolina Panthers – Josh Jackson, CB --> Isaiah Oliver, CB 

31. New England Patriots – Isaiah Oliver, CB --> Jaire Alexander, CB 

42. Miami Dolphins – Hayden Hurst, TE --> Mike Gesicki, TE

58. Atlanta Falcons – Martinas Rankin, OL --> Hayden Hurst, TE

That a boy for the Falcons on the change the 1st one in Rankin didn't really make a ton of sense at this point with our offseason and who we actually picked up.    The new change is much better with  Bryan + Hurst thats a really strong draft for us so far.  Before that change i was going to go with mock #2 even though i don't like going WR round 1  Kirk + Settle would have been better needs for us than mock 1 had us taking.    But now i would go mock #1 but wouldn't be mad with mock #2.    If we go mock #1 though then we need to get a legit NT in round 3 and a slot WR in round 4.   

Do not like Mock#1

With Rosen still available, Denver will have to trade with Cleveland for the #4 pick, otherwise Buffalo will trade up for him or Arizone and both Buffalo and Arizona will be willing to pay a price higher than the trade chart suggests.

McGlinchey is strictly a RT prospect and a poor pass blocker at that and there is zero chance he gets picked in round 1 earlier than around 25 to 32!

Ridley is another prospect who will really struggle to get higher than the 20th pick after his Combine!

Ward and Fitzpatrick are not lasting till #14 and #19, they are going way higher than that!

If Arizona wants Lamar Jackson, they will have to pick him at #15!

There is no way Guice will get out of round 1 IMO!

I like Mock #2 a lot better

Still think Denver will have to trade up with Cleveland if they want the #4 QB otherwise again, Buffalo and Arizona will be after Cleveland pretty strongly fo that #4 spot!

I already gave you my opinion on Ridley!

Sutton is a long strider who will struggle to separate at the next level, put Moore there and I wuld like it better!

NE is looking for a pass blocking LT and as I have stated, McGlinchey is a weak pass blocker who will play RT at the next level.

I am not a great lover of Miller, because his height actually weakens his punch, but he is the only LT prospect besides Williams who they could possibly draft.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:25 AM, The Gnat said:

With the first mock, don't love it for the Vikings. I don't see them drafting an OLB that early this year. I don't know who I'd precisely want them to take though, that's a less than ideal way for it to shake out. Lamar Jackson is actually kind of tempting oddly enough. Or it would likely be a spot where the Vikings could trade down with a team that wants Jackson, I doubt Jackson falls to the middle of round two.

Second draft, OL is good with the first pick. I'd be very interested in Averett at CB over OLB.

I think the Vikings are going to be going very heavily towards drafting for the future this year.  Despite having offensive line in both mock drafts for the Vikings, I think it's very possible they're going to wait until round three to address the position, much like how they did last year.  I agree with you that cornerback is a very strong possibility and I probably should have had the Vikings selecting one in at least one of the mock drafts.  I wanted to include Nwosu in at least one of the mock drafts as I think he could potentially go round two.  But I probably should have gone Averett there. 

On 4/12/2018 at 10:51 AM, mlucas12002 said:

The first Browns draft is better than the second one, but if you change either 35 or 64 to whoever your highest-rated DT is, either one would be perfect.

I don't see why.  While I think the prospect of Chubb could tantalize the Browns into thinking they could have a truly dominant defensive line a la Philadelphia or Jacksonville, I don't actually think the Browns need front seven help at all.  I think the Browns are just fine with Ogunjobi, Brantley (who I think would have gone round 2 if he hadn't been falsely accused days before the draft) and Coley who somehow won the starting job.  I think they traded Shelton because he was taking away playing time from their other young defensive tackles, not because he was so bad.  I don't think they need to draft a replacement unless it's a late round pick. 

On 4/12/2018 at 10:57 AM, bigdog2372 said:

I’ll take option 1 for the Bucs. Switch Fitz to James in option 2 and I’ll take that one.

The thing about Fitz is I think he could a safety or a cornerback for the Bucs.  They just selected Justin Evans in the second round last year and I think they're interested in reuniting him with fellow Texas A&M safety Armani Watts.  If they select Fitz with the intention of playing him at corner, that could still happen in a round three I'm likely not going to even attempt this year.  James on the other hand precludes an Armani Watts selection. 

On 4/12/2018 at 3:07 PM, Rtnldave said:

If Dallas goes secondary with their first pick I am DONE with that team. 46 years pi$$ed away. They have traveled that road for 20 years now and they still SUCK!

...... What?   So, there is talk that the Cowboys are planning to move Byron Jones to cornerback,  That would certainly address corner, giving the Cowboys Jones, Awuzie and Lewis, but leave a hole at free safety.  But more than that, if they got Minkah Fitzpatrick at #19, there's an argument that's the first big steal of the draft.  Best player available who happens to be at a position of need would make you quit being a Cowboys fan? 

On 4/12/2018 at 5:56 PM, INbengalfan said:

In the first one, great pick with Daniels, but I don't like jesfferson in the second, or at all really.  As someone said above, Reid would work there.  But honestly, I would be very tempted if Lamar Jackson is still there at #46.  I'd also strongly consider Price for RG or Orlando Brown for RT

In the second one, I'm grabbing Wynn in the first, and keeping the ragnow pick in the second.

I could see Reid there too, but I think at some point you need to find a replacement for Burfict.  He's a supremely talented player, but he's someone who will always let you down.  As for Price and Brown, I dropped both out of the first two rounds.  If Pat Elflein can inexplicably fall out of the first two rounds for no apparent reason, Price can too with a torn pectoral.  

As for the second one..... I've done four mock drafts this year.  Not one of them had the Bengals drafting a cornerback in the first round until that one. It's an even numbered year, I had to do it at least once.  If I write another mock draft (probably won't, but maybe), I won't have them drafting a CB again. 

On 4/12/2018 at 10:41 PM, BrownsDog23 said:

The first one is trash because we throw away the chance to get a franchise QB and pick a future CFL player instead 

I'm not saying I think it's a good idea, I just think it's a very strong possibility.  I think Allen is arguably the fifth or even sixth best quarterback in this year's draft.  But I''m not the decision maker for the Browns and rumor has it they want Josh Allen. 

On 4/12/2018 at 11:49 PM, FalconFan13 said:

That a boy for the Falcons on the change the 1st one in Rankin didn't really make a ton of sense at this point with our offseason and who we actually picked up.

Not gonna lie, I missed the Brandon Fusco signing and thought they still needed interior OL help.  :$

On 4/13/2018 at 12:44 AM, Iamcanadian said:

Do not like Mock#1

With Rosen still available, Denver will have to trade with Cleveland for the #4 pick, otherwise Buffalo will trade up for him or Arizone and both Buffalo and Arizona will be willing to pay a price higher than the trade chart suggests.

McGlinchey is strictly a RT prospect and a poor pass blocker at that and there is zero chance he gets picked in round 1 earlier than around 25 to 32!

Ridley is another prospect who will really struggle to get higher than the 20th pick after his Combine!

Ward and Fitzpatrick are not lasting till #14 and #19, they are going way higher than that!

If Arizona wants Lamar Jackson, they will have to pick him at #15!

There is no way Guice will get out of round 1 IMO!

I like Mock #2 a lot better

Still think Denver will have to trade up with Cleveland if they want the #4 QB otherwise again, Buffalo and Arizona will be after Cleveland pretty strongly fo that #4 spot!

I already gave you my opinion on Ridley!

Sutton is a long strider who will struggle to separate at the next level, put Moore there and I wuld like it better!

NE is looking for a pass blocking LT and as I have stated, McGlinchey is a weak pass blocker who will play RT at the next level.

I am not a great lover of Miller, because his height actually weakens his punch, but he is the only LT prospect besides Williams who they could possibly draft.

I'm not sure teams are that hot to trot to trade up for Rosen.  I may think he is the best QB in this draft, but he apparently is the one teams are the least interested in due to his injury history and alleged attitude problems. 

Right tackles do go higher than 25.  Just ask Lane Johnson and Jack Conklin.  I think McGlinchey can be a left tackle, but even if he can't, he would likely start at right tackle for the Raiders to start with. 

Someone had to explain to me what was wrong with Calvin Ridley's combine. 4.43 40 and a 6.88 3 cone seem pretty good to me.  His vert and broad jump could hurt him, but I'd be very surprised if he falls out of the top 20 with Baltimore and Dallas sitting there. 

They definitely could and imo they should, but after seeing Adams, Lattimore and Hooker fall last year, I think it is far from a certainty.   Ward could go as high as #4, but he could also go as low as #14 imo. 

I think the second tier quarterbacks are getting a bit too overhyped.  If you listen to some people, we're going to have seven quarterbacks going in the first round.  I don't think the obsession has reached that point yet. Lamar Jackson is a project QB imo and I don't think he should go nearly that high.  Now, he could slip int othe bottom of the first round like Paxton Lynch did, but I don't think he should.

He could certainly go first round, lock though?  I wouldn't quite say that. He is still a running back. 

Bob Quinn has a minimal history with the Lions of drafting for need in the first few rounds. That may change this year, to a certain degree, based on the way they have approached free agency. They went for mid-level free agents that are for the most part on 1 year contacts. So, while there are primary needs that could use an influx of talent, they have enough current talent to function without having to reach for a position. I expect them to continue to place priority on the lines, but if an extraordinary talent falls to them, they wouldn't have to pass it up to fill a starting position.

So, even though the Lions have signed free agents who can sustain them as starters, they don't have long term plans for most of those positions which were filled. Considering skill levels and contracts, the primary needs are at Edge-Rusher (3-4 olb/4-3 de), DT (if they have a shot at a 3T they could jump on it, but they also could go for a pure NT later on), and they need an OL (who has some versatility) [one who can challenge Dahl for LG, back up Decker at LT, or push Glasgow out of OC.]

Secondary needs include RB (for their rbbc, which is almost a primary need), TE, CB, FS, 4-3 LB and possibly WR.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:51 AM, mlucas12002 said:

I much prefer the 2nd to the first but I'm just not an allen fan.  That said, I'd rather go Oliver and Hurst in the second and I don't see the Browns taking 2 2nd round CB's. 

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Will Lorenzo Carter play for the Vikings and Cowboys?!?

These contracts are getting ridiculous!

Thanks for the heads up.  I switched the Cowboys pick to Austin Corbitt in the first mock draft. 

Archived