Reuben Foster charged with felony domestic violence

BroncoSojia

5 minutes ago, XScutterX said:

The difference between Zeke's situation and Reuben's is that the victim in Zeke's case worked with the NFL. I don't see that happening in Reuben's case since she has publicly admitted to lying about it.

But Goodell is full of surprises so who knows...

I agree.  I actually think the weapons charge will be the excuse for a smaller penalty if the league feels the PR is too hot to let him walk.  Or he walks if the DA drops the charges.   The video clearing him, if true, really gives the league an out from what looked like a PR disaster if the league was seen as lenient.   

The risk for sure isn’t as high as with Elliott it’s just that no one is truly safe once you are on the radar. 

17 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The NFL policy extends to personal conduct.   So the gun charge and the DV original charge puts him theoretically at risk.   Even if no charges are laid.   Neither Josh Brown or Zeke Elliott were criminally charged for the events they got dinged for by the NFL.   But obviously it can’t hurt to get all criminal charges dropped.  

Except, in Zeke's case, there was still the whole shirt-pulling incident, which is enough to warrant a suspension in and of itself even without the DV. Same with Roethlisberger with regards to the far bigger charge that wasn't filed in his case, having served minors alcohol.

But what's interesting to point out is that, unlike Josh Brown, Ben Roethlisberger or Zeke Elliott where they simply didn't have any proof, here the "victim" flat out admitted it never happened, so it should immediately be off the books. They can still get him for the gun and marijuana charge, though, yet knowing Emperor Goodell, it won't be and he'll get a hefty 6-10 game suspension for all 3.

2 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Except, in Zeke's case, there was still the whole shirt-pulling incident, which is enough to warrant a suspension in and of itself even without the DV. Same with Roethlisberger with regards to the far bigger charge that wasn't filed in his case, having served minors alcohol.

But what's interesting to point out is that, unlike Josh Brown, Ben Roethlisberger or Zeke Elliott where they simply didn't have any proof, here the "victim" flat out admitted it never happened, so it should immediately be off the books. They can still get him for the gun and marijuana charge, though, yet knowing Emperor Goodell, it won't be and he'll get a hefty 6-10 game suspension for all 3.

Just to be clear, in many DV cases where there is actually proof abuse occurred, the victim recants (financially dependent, or afraid of going it alone esp. if there are kids involved, etc.).    It's why the video and how it clears Foster is absolutely crucial.  The victim recanting is not nearly as powerful as it seems from the outside.  It's why the DA wants to look closely at the video.

If the video clears Foster, then yeah, I'm with you.   I'm actually one of the Bronco fans who banged the drum the loudest to take Foster at 1.20 instead of Bolles.   And I still stand by that assessment skill-wise, and if his problems are just weed-related (although at some point, dude, get your act cleaned up there - 2 strikes not, enough already, 1 you get a pass, no excuses now).    If he did commit the act as originally described, he shouldn't stay in the league, but talent wins out, every team with a star at their peak level of performance hasn't been the one to make that call, either.   But the video is the one out that really helps Foster erase any lingering bad PR here, if it's as advertised.  And skill-wise, Foster's at that star level of play already.   May 8 is going to be a huge day for his career, not just for the legal ramifications, but the image he can preserve, if he's cleared that's huge for him...and the 49ers & the NFL.  

I think it would be pure BS to suspend Foster if the video exonerates him.  But, the PR he's already received and the NFL not wanting to look soft on bad apples, yeah, I'm not writing off a shorter suspension until the NFL announces it.  

On 5/2/2018 at 10:42 AM, Broncofan said:

Just to be clear, in many DV cases where there is actually proof abuse occurred, the victim recants (financially dependent, or afraid of going it alone esp. if there are kids involved, etc.).    It's why the video and how it clears Foster is absolutely crucial.  The victim recanting is not nearly as powerful as it seems from the outside.  It's why the DA wants to look closely at the video.

If the video clears Foster, then yeah, I'm with you.   I'm actually one of the Bronco fans who banged the drum the loudest to take Foster at 1.20 instead of Bolles.   And I still stand by that assessment skill-wise, and if his problems are just weed-related (although at some point, dude, get your act cleaned up there - 2 strikes not, enough already, 1 you get a pass, no excuses now).    If he did commit the act as originally described, he shouldn't stay in the league, but talent wins out, every team with a star at their peak level of performance hasn't been the one to make that call, either.   But the video is the one out that really helps Foster erase any lingering bad PR here, if it's as advertised.  And skill-wise, Foster's at that star level of play already.   May 8 is going to be a huge day for his career, not just for the legal ramifications, but the image he can preserve, if he's cleared that's huge for him...and the 49ers & the NFL.  

I think it would be pure BS to suspend Foster if the video exonerates him.  But, the PR he's already received and the NFL not wanting to look soft on bad apples, yeah, I'm not writing off a shorter suspension until the NFL announces it.  

Neither seems to be the case here, though especially since they're no longer together IIRC.

But I don't buy PR alone is adequate grounds for a suspension because then, anyone can make a claim without proof and get you in hot water with Emperor Goodell and the NFL. It sets a very bad precedent for the NFL. Imagine if anyone simply claiming they saw you doing anything were adequate grounds to imprison or even put you to death in some cases in the courts.

It's almost a moot point because he still has the gun and marijuana charges against him even if the video exonerates him of the DV charge and those two things are very much suspendable offenses.

4 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Neither seems to be the case here, though especially since they're no longer together IIRC.

But I don't buy PR alone is adequate grounds for a suspension because then, anyone can make a claim without proof and get you in hot water with Emperor Goodell and the NFL. It sets a very bad precedent for the NFL. Imagine if anyone simply claiming they saw you doing anything were adequate grounds to imprison or even put you to death in some cases in the courts.

It's almost a moot point because he still has the gun and marijuana charges against him even if the video exonerates him of the DV charge and those two things are very much suspendable offenses.

Just to be clear, though - the weed charge only counts as a strike in the NFL policy.  Personal conduct does not invoked with the weed charge.   It's just his 2nd strike...that we know of.   It won't add to any personal conduct penalty determination (double-jeopardy principle, since drugs are treated separately).

But yeah, that gun charge is the NFL's out if they suspend him....like the video is the out (and a legit one) if they choose to defer any penalty.    Next Tuesday is going to be a big day for Foster.

• 2 weeks later...

Reuben Foster attorney to accuser Ennis:
Did Mr Foster ever hit you?
No sir
You lied because in your words you wanted to take him down?
Yes sir (cries, grabs tissue)
To ruin his career?
Yes sir (cries)
Because this breakup was final?
Yes sir. I’m sorry. I apologize to everybody

Put her in jail

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So yeah...

This one really hurts the credulity of the DA’s case. 

It’s rare that a trial helps a player avoid NFL punishment but in this case it clearly paints Foster in a different light.  

There needs to be a heavy sentence for this sort of thing.  If it wasn't a high profile case and if she was still pissed off at him, she could have sent an innocent man to jail for a long time.  I'm still not discounting the possibility that he paid her enough to change her story though...

Women like this seriously damage the credibility of everyone else. This girl is a serial liar and could've completely ruined this man's life. Send her to jail for A LONG time for this.

As for Foster, I'm happy justice is likely to be served, and I hope he doesn't face NFL punishment.

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

So she didn't learn her lesson with jail time?

If I'm a woman who has been a legit victim of domestic assault, I'm furious at crappy human beings like Miss Ennis who cry wolf and muddy the waters.

41 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

So she didn't learn her lesson with jail time?

If I'm a woman who has been a legit victim of domestic assault, I'm furious at crappy human beings like Miss Ennis who cry wolf and muddy the waters.

This case if all the above is true sets back DV awareness about 10 years.   Everyone who hears of DV allegations will point to this even when it’s actual DV.    SMH all the way around.   

I will also say as a huge Foster believer he’s got to make better choices.   I don’t care about weed in its own but it’s the NFL law so you follow it.   The gun issue won’t likely threaten his career but his choices on weed, weapons and women all need to be re-examined.  

Foster clearly doesn’t deserve to lose his career if this all is true and even a suspension might be unfair (gun charges still put him at risk) - but he really needs to get his life in order.   The 49ers would be wise to consider the Dez rookie treatment and get him a “bodyguard” (babysitter).   If for no other reason to have someone else to help him mitigate the bad situations he’s gotten himself into (before this remember there was also the offseason arrest in ‘Bama for weed).

Archived